FYI - AT&T scrapping dsl

Incoming rant......

So the company I work for has 6 - 8 locations with AT&T business class dsl with static IP assignments. We've now had 2 locations which suddenly stopped communication with the internet and vpn tunnel going down. AT&T is taking it upon themselves to change business class static IP assignments without any advanced warning nor having an order from the authorized user account in question to allow such change. AT&T tells me the reason being is they are phasing out dsl and making everything uverse. Of course this completely screws up everything if you have your own firewall/router handling the traffic.

Fuckers

Yeah, I've had more than a few customers struck by that. What's worse? No Static IPs and crappy halflocked-down gateway config.

One customer got the letter about upgrading...called and the phone people said NO, your not in the coverage area for UVerse.
Month later
Then they had a problem with the connection dropping and being really slow (they had 5000 up and 768k down but were getting 1200/600)
Tech support said they WERE in the coverage area, OK, we dropped the static IP's (owner didn't know and the bill didn't say), saved $20, upped to the UVerse 12mb/1mb for the same price as DSL.

DSL guy came, installed new wire to the pole, some run inside, popped a new model on the shelf, said your good, but they provisioned you for 1mb/512k, just call to get it corrected.
I called, they said that was the fastest UVerse can be there due to the end of the line location.

WTF?
Least I got the owner a $300 credit, (100 to me for my time) and saved him $20 on future bills

I'd try calling again. I often get conflicting information from AT&T and it changes from one day to the next. I now recall a third location got changed a few months ago. Again a static ip and they sent us pppoe login information. We told them it was static IP but they said it was changing to pppoe. The tech showed up on site. Couldn't get it working. Turns out it is supposed to be static ip. So they had to assign new ip to get it working. Their support is a fucked up mess and like I said you'll get different, even completely opposite information depending on the day.

Last edited:
Yeh,they called me back last week to see if I wanted to migrate back to UVerse if they correct the speed.
I said sure, BUT the owner would be wanting $500 compensation if they have the same documented problem, again. He said they would look into it and get back to me...no call back in a week+

AT&T is by far the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with, I have moved almost all my customers over to comcast and everyone has been much happier... at least their incompetence is manageable

you can still get static IP over PPPOE people dont freak out over this if they are NOT GIVING you direct static IP.

I had ATT come out to one of my clients and say they were changing from dsl to uverse, they were putting in a router and mine would be removed by them and the IP block would change.

I promptly told them to hit the road, they never came back lol

Do you happen to have a link to that announcement from AT&T? I need to notify a couple companies if they don't know already.

Do you happen to have a link to that announcement from AT&T? I need to notify a couple companies if they don't know already.

It's a forced migration that they're doing area by area. Once it's decided your clients area needs to be migrated they'll start getting notices in the mail saying they have to switch by a certain date or get cut off entirely. I've had a bunch of clients switched over and its been pretty hit or miss. The biggest problem is that their equipment that's being installed doesn't work well in a commercial environment. It's worked out a lot better for me when I've had someone at the clients location during the installation of the new service and had the at&t tech install their older modems instead of the newer wireless gateways.

AT&T is by far the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with, I have moved almost all my customers over to comcast and everyone has been much happier... at least their incompetence is manageable

I worked for Volt on behalf of ATT for about a year doing phone tech support on Uverse systems. Horrible, horrible company. Constant changes and confusion. I was not a good tech, but they threw me out there to sink or swim with very little training at all. As soon as I'd start to get comfortable with things, they'd sell a whole bunch of lines going door-to-door promising them this and that speed guaranteed and these people would be super pissed because I could do nothing to increase their speeds when they were already outside the acceptable range of the DSLAM. Or they'd sell a whole bunch of modems that didn't work with the service type running. I couldn't wait to get out of that call center.

Back