Further Big Price Cut on AM5 at Newegg, Amazon, B&H Photo, and probably others 7950x @ $550-$555 and 7900x @ $474

If you're quoting Micro Center prices, why not the $350 12700K + Z690-PLUS D4 bundle? $100 cheaper, higher-end mobo, not that much farther behind in gaming in practice.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...s-tuf-gaming-wifi-ddr4,-cpu-motherboard-combo

If the case can't fit a full-size ATX mobo, that may be reason to take your approach.

Also, while you can carry the DDR4 over, you probably can't carry over your CPU cooler unless you have LGA1700 mounting hardware, so budget for that too - perhaps one of those contact frames as well, to get around the IHS bending problem.
The LGA115x/1200 backplate at least for Asetek-based AIOs work fine on LGA1700. Intel CPUs have those little sliders you just move into position. You can buy the LGA1700 compatibility kits for $5-10 but its really not necessary unless you want every last C and want to overclock to the max; the difference is maybe .5mm on the standoffs for a little more mounting pressure. I maybe picked up 1-2C using the official standoffs but it cooled my 12900K at stock just fine before that.

I also did the contact frame mod, just 3D printed it and it maybe helps 5C max.

If you want the best possible cooling however, you probably want to upgrade your AIO anyways at that point, I saw a much bigger difference going from my 5 year old EVGA CLC 280mm to the Corsair H115i Elite Capellix, but if my case could handle it I would recommend a 360mm rad AIO instead for another 5C or so.

Great review. Makes you wonder why other reviewers are reporting such a lead for the 13900k, is someone fudging the numbers for intel?
There are several games in TPU's test, which were significantly faster on 13900k Vs. 5800X3D. And some of those games are commonly used for reviews. Averaging it out to "5% slower at 1080p" is in my opinion, fudging the numbers for AMD.

That said, 5800X3D is a fantastic gaming CPU. And does have some very interesting edge cases out there, which TPU did not test.

It's still a tough sell considering the cost of motherboards and DDR5 vs. Zen 3 or Intel. While Zen 4 clearly provides uplift in specific areas, there still aren't THAT many real-world jobs or gamers that benefit enough to justify a 100% price increase vs. alternative options. One of those options for a lot of people is simply waiting for something else, too. I don't really blame AMD, but it's bad timing. PCIE 5.0 anything = nonexistent and DDR5 is expensive with minimal uplift (for most people).

5800X3D for $320 at Micro Center. May be time to swap out my sons 5950X. I see the 5950X still fetches ~$450 on eBay!

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-core-am4-boxed-processor-cooler-not-included

EDIT: done 😎
EDIT2: 5950X already sold on eBay - netted about $40 plus the 5800X3D in trade for my 5950X!
EDIT3: sold the Uncharted key for $25! Make that a $65 profit plus a new 5800X3D…
E3A8887B-52A5-4290-B8BD-577B6FDE79D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Purchased the very last 7700X + GSkill 6000-CL30 combo (w/ B650M Aorus Elite AX) from the DFW MC yesterday evening
Hynix M-die if I read the ID correctly (..S821M)

Picked up a NIB 7900X locally this morning for $365, and just got back from MC with a ~$55 price guarantee adjustment on the 7700X

Definitely one lucky SOB :)

Attachments

• 7900x_fbm.png
    7900x_fbm.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
MC is now doing R5 7600X for $249 plus free 16gb DDR5 5600 and $20 bundle. I want to try AM5 but can't decide if the 12700K $350 bundle is the better option.

MC is now doing R5 7600X for $249 plus free 16gb DDR5 5600 and $20 bundle. I want to try AM5 but can't decide if the 12700K $350 bundle is the better option.
Z690/Z790 is a dead end platform. Worth it to go AM5! I’ve upgraded both of my AM4 rigs to 5800X3D in the last 6 months - breathing new life into them. Can’t beat it!

Happy with my 7700x, b650m aorus elite ax and some m die. I could still tweak the ram some more. But happy right now.

The B650M-DS3H does not look like a typical DS3H
Now has M2 heatsinks, and decent VRM heatsinks, more than likely just fine for 7700X
Still decided to go with the Aorus Elite AX just so that I can drop in a 7950X / future 16c/32t without worrying about the VRM being inadequate

On that note, there seems to be a distinct lack of B650/X670 mobo reviews (or at least Buildzoid VRM overviews) for some reason

The B650M-DS3H does not look like a typical DS3H
Now has M2 heatsinks, and decent VRM heatsinks, more than likely just fine for 7700X
Still decided to go with the Aorus Elite AX just so that I can drop in a 7950X / future 16c/32t without worrying about the VRM being inadequate

On that note, there seems to be a distinct lack of B650/X670 mobo reviews (or at least Buildzoid VRM overviews) for some reason
I read somewhere (Tom’s?) that part of the problem with AMD AM4 mobo prices is because they all need to be pretty built up in order to support any Ryzen CPU due to this gen using more max power.

Most likely. I mean, look at this bad boy. This isn't anything like the -DS3H mobos that we're used to
2.5GbE LAN even
1000.png

VRM design for ~200-300W CPU power draw isn't exactly new though
OCed i7 920 D0s were pulling that, and cheaper mobos like the EX58-UD3R handled that 24/7/365 without issue
(had 3x 920 D0s @ 4GHz with that mobo doing DC back in the day)

ud3r.jpg

Last edited:

This is a great deal, and you might be able to make it even better.
Over at the SD hot deals forums, someone noticed that you can add another 16GB stick to your cart after you add the bundle and this new stick comes up at $0.01. Now you have the cpu and two 16GB sticks of RAM for the $249 + tax.
I think it's a glitch and may or may not work depending on who checks you out. I picked this up after work today and it did work but just barely. First they got my stuff and one guy started explaining that the second RAM was a glitch and would be full price. Then that guy and another guy, both pretty young, looked at the RAM packages and noticed they were single sticks each so they apologized and let me have them. With tax it was about $275, so like I said, insane deal, if you can get it.

Most likely. I mean, look at this bad boy. This isn't anything like the -DS3H mobos that we're used to
2.5GbE LAN even
View attachment 528879

VRM design for ~200-300W CPU power draw isn't exactly new though
OCed i7 920 D0s were pulling that, and cheaper mobos like the EX58-UD3R handled that 24/7/365 without issue
(had 3x 920 D0s @ 4GHz with that mobo doing DC back in the day)

View attachment 528908
Found the article! I found it very illuminating.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-amds-ryzen-7000-and-motherboards-cost-so-damn-much

As someone who "believes in the platform" I am hoping X3D can help them turn things around. They did a lot of forward thinking things...

Found the article! I found it very illuminating.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/why-amds-ryzen-7000-and-motherboards-cost-so-damn-much

As someone who "believes in the platform" I am hoping X3D can help them turn things around. They did a lot of forward thinking things...
Honestly there was the same level of sticker shock for some people when Z690 and LGA1700 arrived last year, the boards are just built much better than previous generations and have more features (m.2 slots, WiFi6E, Thunderbolt, 2.5+Gbe NICs, more power stages, cooling, RGB etc). One main difference is Intel generally has higher volume and a year under the bridge to help reduce these costs and last year's models are still a viable alternative to upgrade to 13th gen at a lower cost along with DDR4 options for both old and new chipsets. Probably the biggest difference however, is that the perception of money and buying power is way different today than it was last year. If AM5 and 7 series launched alongside Alder Lake, it probably would've been better received in general as it didn't seem as crazy to spend that kind of money on a platform upgrade. People were still spending $1300-1500 on 3080s (12GB and Ti) at the time.

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with Ryzen chips and Windows Server/Hyper-V? I'm debating whether or not I should try to pick up a 5950X on the cheap to upgrade my home lab or just use my wife's 12700K and kick the 12900K to her rig. I have an extra AM4 mATX board sitting around, just not sure if AMD has the same chipset driver issues with Windows Server as the consumer-grade Intel chipsets do with NIC and Management Engine drivers.

Saw the price drop further from my first post a little while ago at Amazon. But, as the shipping changed from Sunday to December 4 to December 6, I finally purchased a 7950x myself.

Now to buy an overpriced X670E motherboard, accompanying DDR5 ram, and I should probably get some new HDDs to raid 1 as my existing 4tb in-computer drives are many years old at this point.

Saw the price drop further from my first post a little while ago at Amazon. But, as the shipping changed from Sunday to December 4 to December 6, I finally purchased a 7950x myself.

Now to buy an overpriced X670E motherboard, accompanying DDR5 ram, and I should probably get some new HDDs to raid 1 as my existing 4tb in-computer drives are many years old at this point.
Wow $550

Have these lowered prices convinced anyone here to upgrade their 5950x setup to a 7950x build? If so, did you sell your old system to help offset the upgrade cost?
I personally opted to "upgrade" my son's 5950X to a 5800X3D to tide us over until the 7xxx3D, releases. Then I will take that new hotness and let my son have my 7950X. :jimlad:

Hopefully by then the X670E Gene board is cheaper or more available in the used market. I love that board in my build. Would toss it in my son's rig even though it's a large mid-tower.

Have these lowered prices convinced anyone here to upgrade their 5950x setup to a 7950x build? If so, did you sell your old system to help offset the upgrade cost?
It has certainly pushed me to upgrade from the 4770K in my sig (now relegated as a secondary rig, only the X-Fi Fatal1ty is coming over)

How do you guys know what Ram Die your getting
With G.Skill, there's a sticker on the ram sticks. If you look at the code above the serial number, it will tell you the die. 9th digit will tell you IC manu (1 = Samsung, 2 = hynix) The 11th digit will tell you die (A = A Die, M = M Die, etc).

I personally opted to "upgrade" my son's 5950X to a 5800X3D to tide us over until the 7xxx3D, releases. Then I will take that new hotness and let my son have my 7950X. :jimlad:

Hopefully by then the X670E Gene board is cheaper or more available in the used market. I love that board in my build. Would toss it in my son's rig even though it's a large mid-tower.
Exactly what I just did. Jumped on the $329 - $36 (Zip Coupon) at Newegg for a grand total of $293 before tax for the 5800X3D + Uncharted Bundle. I game much more on this system now than I do productivity so it makes sense. I will likely be able to sell the 5950X to cover the entire cost of the switch based on what I've been seeing them sell for on eBay.

I'll jump on the Zen 4 3D CPUs once they come out which the latest rumors point to a early 2023 release. By then hopefully AM5 motherboard and DDR5 prices will be cheaper and until then the 5800X3D is still trading blows with AMD's and Intel's latest offerings in terms of gaming performance.

Minor annoyance - Rev 1.0 B650M Aorus Elite AX mobos have an AMD/MediaTek RZ616 WiFi module
Rev 1.1 (didn't see any at the DFW MC) switches to an Intel AX210 - much better

Not a big deal (the AX210 is ~$20 everywhere), just have to take out the mobo and swap the M.2 module

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with Ryzen chips and Windows Server/Hyper-V? I'm debating whether or not I should try to pick up a 5950X on the cheap to upgrade my home lab or just use my wife's 12700K and kick the 12900K to her rig. I have an extra AM4 mATX board sitting around, just not sure if AMD has the same chipset driver issues with Windows Server as the consumer-grade Intel chipsets do with NIC and Management Engine drivers.
For starters AMD doesn't support it. No chipset drivers or support for Windows Server on Ryzen. Win 10/11 Pro are the only choices, even with Threadripper Pro- imagine buying a $7000 CPU and you're greeted with Candy Crush, Entertainment News and Shopping popups. AMD's stance is "if you want to run Windows Server, we have a product called Epyc."

FWIW I did get Server 2022 installed on a 5900X/X570, but it was hacky and I ultimately bailed on the combination. Required installing an obscure HP service pack intended for ProLiant servers. SMH.

Last edited:
thinking going to go from asrock x99 extreme4, 5930k, 32GB DDR4 to asrock pro RS x670e, 7700x, 32GB 6000mhz DDR5 for $700.

Also considered 7950x and the Taichi mobo, but they're + ~ 200 each for things that I probably wont use/notice a different (gaming 4k).

And I guess I can always upgrade to the 2025 cpus.

thinking going to go from asrock x99 extreme4, 5930k, 32GB DDR4 to asrock pro RS x670e, 7700x, 32GB 6000mhz DDR5 for $700.

Also considered 7950x and the Taichi mobo, but they're + ~ 200 each for things that I probably wont use/notice a different (gaming 4k).

And I guess I can always upgrade to the 2025 cpus.
Nice board the extreme4. Loved that board!!!

For starters AMD doesn't support it. No chipset drivers or support for Windows Server on Ryzen. Win 10/11 Pro are the only choices, even with Threadripper Pro- imagine buying a $7000 CPU and you're greeted with Candy Crush, Entertainment News and Shopping popups. AMD's stance is "if you want to run Windows Server, we have a product called Epyc."

FWIW I did get Server 2022 installed on a 5900X/X570, but it was hacky and I ultimately bailed on the combination. Required installing an obscure HP service pack intended for ProLiant servers. SMH.
Wow bummer, for Intel I just had to use a workstation NIC driver with hacked INF. Guess I’ll have to see if the same works for 12th gen chipsets too.

Wow bummer, for Intel I just had to use a workstation NIC driver with hacked INF. Guess I’ll have to see if the same works for 12th gen chipsets too.
Yeah, again you can get Server 2022 working on Ryzen - I did clear up all the "unknown devices" in device manager with the download from HP, but I'd only consider if you already owned the hardware. To spend new money and have to hack support anyway (and no update path for AMD chipset driver updates) wouldn't make sense. There are better options for homelab.

Last edited:
Nope. I am keeping my system til AM6 and RTX 6090 comes out!

The LGA115x/1200 backplate at least for Asetek-based AIOs work fine on LGA1700. Intel CPUs have those little sliders you just move into position. You can buy the LGA1700 compatibility kits for $5-10 but its really not necessary unless you want every last C and want to overclock to the max; the difference is maybe .5mm on the standoffs for a little more mounting pressure. I maybe picked up 1-2C using the official standoffs but it cooled my 12900K at stock just fine before that.

I also did the contact frame mod, just 3D printed it and it maybe helps 5C max.

If you want the best possible cooling however, you probably want to upgrade your AIO anyways at that point, I saw a much bigger difference going from my 5 year old EVGA CLC 280mm to the Corsair H115i Elite Capellix, but if my case could handle it I would recommend a 360mm rad AIO instead for another 5C or so.
I should note that I'm more of a custom loop guy - XSPC Raystorm Copper block, D5 pump in one of those dual 5.25" bay reservoir/pump top units, HW Labs Black Ice GTX 360 radiator, and since I recently found out the hard way that my old SFF21F fans weren't cutting it for such a thick, dense (20 FPI) rad, three Noctua iPPC NF-F12 3000 RPM fans (usually running at a fraction of that, mercifully). Never actually owned an AIO cooler.

The Raystorm block's LGA115x/1200 backplate did not clear the mobo's socket backplate on my LGA1700 setup, so I had to order an updated backplate for the new socket, as well as a Thermalright contact frame. Set my build back a few days, but I think it's keeping it as cool as I can realistically expect without a delid/direct die mount.

Just ordered the Asus ROG Strix X670E-A, 2x16G of Corsair Vengeance 6000 DDR5, a Samsung 980 Pro m.2 SSD and an XSPC Raystorm CPU Block from NewEgg for ~$830 after tax and the 7950X CPU directly from AMD for $605 after tax. Curse you, AMD price cuts and Black Friday madness!!

I killed my 5950x earlier this year. I can't decide between that and the 5800x3D.

Microcenter has the 7900x for 439 and it still includes the free ram. Tempted to return my 7700x for the 7900x but I'm itx and the temps I have to deal with make it not worth the trip and hassle

I killed my 5950x earlier this year. I can't decide between that and the 5800x3D.
The 5800x3d has the edge in 1080p gaming. But if you're playing at higher resolutions the 5950X is the wiser choice, if you can find one for ~$350.00.

Of course, there's also the "fun factor" to consider. You've already had a 5950X. Maybe having something new and fun to play with would be worth it.

It would be interesting to see how much performance you could extract with the extra cache and the super-fast 4400 DDR4 RAM you have. :cool:

Last edited:
The 5800x3d has the edge in 1080p gaming. But if you're playing at higher resolutions the 5950X is the wiser choice, if you can find one for ~$350.00.

Of course, there's also the "fun factor" to consider. You've already had a 5950X. Maybe having something new and fun to play with would be worth it.

It would be interesting to see how much performance you could extract with the extra cache and the super-fast 4400 DDR4 RAM you have. :cool:
If you get an RTX 4090, it can get bottlenecked at 1440p and even 4k ;).

Back