Fun CPU-intensive tasks for a fast processor?

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally got my new rig up and running smoothly (bar a few little driver issues), and I am itching to try it out. I've never had a powerful processor, or even a "good" processor (my last machine was running a Pentium D 2.66 GHz).

Anyway, gaming has been incredible, my graphic design work is exponentially more enjoyable, and benchmarking is okay for what it is, I guess. I was amazed at how fast 7-Zip unpacked a 6GB ISO file; but I'm looking for some more real life applications. I've heard Handbrake can be an awe-inspiring experience.

Anybody got any suggestions for applications or tasks I could try out?

HandBrake video converter.
Takes DVD video, etc. converts to other formats.
Takes total advantage of multiple-threaded CPU's.

Free utility.

Also, the newer WinRAR versions.

i was using handbrake to transcode my bluray movies into a different format so I can stream them using media sharing to my PS3 for playback on my tv... Then I found a media server app called tversity which was able to stream the ripped m2ts file directly to the PS3.

Part of me was extatic that I could finally stream full bluray content instead of waiting 2+ hours for the encoding process. Another part of me was a bit sad since I finaly had something useful to do with my 4 cores but it was short lived.

Then I found a media server app called tversity which was able to stream the ripped m2ts file directly to the PS3.
LOL. Sorry to hear it. :p

Part of me was ecstatic that I could finally stream full Blu-ray content instead of waiting 2+ hours for the encoding process. Another part of me was a bit sad since I finally had something useful to do with my 4 cores, but it was short lived.
Heh, it is a sad thing. But aside from utilizing four cores, is there any application that at least makes good use of a fast dual-core processor? Most of the responses I've seen around forums have mentioned ripping DVD's and unzipping ISO's and RAR's. I'd even be willing to take up some activity that doesn't interest me! :D

Most of today's games will use 2 cores. I don't use many sinlge apps that use all 4 cores but I do a lot of multitasking which end up using all or nearly all of them.

I don't use many single apps that use all 4 cores but I do a lot of multitasking which end up using all or nearly all of them.
Good point. I'm not as concerned about utilizing four cores as I am just witnessing some sweet powerhouse computing. I have noticed that Photoshop and Illustrator are lightning fast, but I don't know if they are really CPU-intensive apps.

They are if you're working with large files. I believe the newest version of Photoshop is actually GPU accelerated.

Was that supposed to be a Folding link, Zero82? Also, FSX looks a bit cerebral for my taste. :p
Folding is one option, but there are lots of different DC projects you can get involved in, which is why I linked you to the subforum. But if you really want to put your CPU to work, folding is one of the best ways to do it ;).

Folding is one option, but there are lots of different DC projects you can get involved in, which is why I linked you to the subforum. But if you really want to put your CPU to work, folding is one of the best ways to do it ;).

Indeed, if you want to load your CPU just for the fun of it, it might as well go to a good cause.

Folding proteins for the [H]orde is a good cause, and one that will put your computer through the paces.

Fold On!

That unfortunately takes advantage of two threads at the moment due to synchronization issues between the EE and it's vector units being emulated on more than two cores/threads.

I see it using 4 threads....

37487060.jpg

No you don't. You see the OS swapping CPU time between multiple cores. If it was actually using 4 threads you'd see CPU usage right around 50%

Dumb question: what exactly does a CPU do? Maybe this will help me figure out what kinds of apps to look for.

I was ripping a Blu-ray with ripbot264 and it used 100% CPU on all threads. Got up to 75c on one of the cores I think.

Folding@home. If you want to load your CPU for the hell of it, it may as well go to a good cause.

Dumb question: what exactly does a CPU do? Maybe this will help me figure out what kinds of apps to look for.
Whatever programs tell it to do. CPUs use logic and execute code on pieces of data.

Folding @ home was mentioned.

Honestly the first thing that came to mind is taking off the heatsink, running prime95, and setting things on fire... lets face it though, you obviously aren't going to do that :p.

Back