Fujitsu Completes Post-K Supercomputer CPU Prototype, Begins Functionality Trials

juanrga

2[H]4U
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2018/0621-01.html

The post-K prototype will be exhibited at ISC 2018, which will be held in Germany from June 24--28.

(48 + 2) or (48 + 4) cores per node, built on top of ARMv8 ISA plus SVE extensions (implemented with 512bit wide vectors).

I guess the new ARM-based chip will look very much as the former SPARC-based supercomputer (32+2) chip

Fujitsu-Will-Present-16-Core-SPARC64-Processors-at-Hot-Chips-Conference-6.jpg

Hot damn there was a lot of great information in there.
Seriously worth the read for anyone interested in ARM-based supercomputing.

Thanks so much for sharing this, and nice find!

The merit isn't mine, but of one of guys that I follow on twitter, who found the document.

I like that it is ARMv8 plus SVE, but I like still more it is entirely CPU based. GPUs aren't needed when you have a well-designed CPU.

Moreover, the original K computer and successors are designed with real-workloads in mind. Unlike other supercomputers which get higher scores on toy-like benches, but then suffer with real-life code.

That's an excellent use for HBM, because they can put all the ram on the package. Makes the sockets and motherboard relatively simple (normally quite complex for keeping a supercomputer fed).

That's an excellent use for HBM, because they can put all the ram on the package. Makes the sockets and motherboard relatively simple (normally quite complex for keeping a supercomputer fed).

Simple, faster, much less power,...

RIKEN chief has also mentioned the possibility of Fujitsu releasing post-K nodes for future workstations...

Last edited:
Back