Frustrated picking a Z390 mobo due to these issues...

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
So I was all set on the Asus z390 Hero BUT at least based on the latest test from "hardware unboxed", it runs much hotter than the other boards and the design seems inferior yet it has what most people claim to be the best bios.

Then I started looking at the MSI Ace BUT I just read that it is NOT possible to enable the iGPU feature with that board which is odd and surely a deal breaker for me.

So my options are the Tachi which I have no idea how good the asrock Bios is and the Gigabyte which the youtuber was almost lusting about....but seems to be famous for having horrible bios.

Anyways, how is the Bios on the Taichi compared to the Asus and MSI ? I am not 100% ruling out the Gigabyte but is a distant 4th right now. If I can get confirmation that enabling the iGPU works with the MSI then I will probably go with it.

Thanks

UPDATE:
I bought the Aorus Master and I am very happy with it!

Last edited:
If my 2cents matter at all, i will tell you this: As far as asrock goes, I was a long time asrock user (X99, z77,z87,z97 gens) good clockers, TERRIBLE BIOS'S! horrible layouts, clutter everywhere, and learned once you get a bios that meets your clock expectations, and as long as you get 90% of everything working to your needs, dont ever update the bios again! Gigabyte on the other hand atleast with the z390 boards are doing extremely well this gen. They have stepped up their game for sure. Bios's have been decent through out the years and i honestly have nothing bad to say about em. Both companies are good, just have to find out what little quirks you can deal with the most and run with it! I have a brand new Gigabyte Aurous Pro WIFI z390 sitting in the box from newegg that i had to buy with my 9900k as a "Combo" in order to get my 9900k and have no need for it, so if you want it, ill cut a good deal. im using a msi meg ace.

If my 2cents matter at all, i will tell you this: As far as asrock goes, I was a long time asrock user (X99, z77,z87,z97 gens) good clockers, TERRIBLE BIOS'S! horrible layouts, clutter everywhere, and learned once you get a bios that meets your clock expectations, and as long as you get 90% of everything working to your needs, dont ever update the bios again! Gigabyte on the other hand atleast with the z390 boards are doing extremely well this gen. They have stepped up their game for sure. Bios's have been decent through out the years and i honestly have nothing bad to say about em. Both companies are good, just have to find out what little quirks you can deal with the most and run with it! I have a brand new Gigabyte Aurous Pro WIFI z390 sitting in the box from newegg that i had to buy with my 9900k as a "Combo" in order to get my 9900k and have no need for it, so if you want it, ill cut a good deal. im using a msi meg ace.
Thanks for the feedback!
Can you confirm if its true that you are unable to enable the iGPU with the MSI mobo you have?
Thanks

PS I thought the newegg combo was the Gigabyte Master not the Pro. Or at least the one they currently offer at least. :)

Does the Maximus XI Code have the same issues as the Hero? Or do you have to step up to the Maximus XI Formula?

Does the Maximus XI Code have the same issues as the Hero? Or do you have to step up to the Maximus XI Formula?

there are no issues with the Hero, it just uses a different method with the latest and best VRM phases for the power delivery so don't let the logic of more vram phases is better fool you, there is also quality of components. Just like how you have cheap power supplies for $30 and go high as $200 for the same advertised power delivery.

I have the x390 hero with a 9900k oc'd to 5.2ghz and everything runs perfect and temps are where they should be.

there are no issues with the Hero, it just uses a different method with the latest and best VRM phases for the power delivery so don't let the logic of more vram phases is better, there is also quality of components. Just like how you have cheap power supplies for $30 and go high as $200 for the same advertised power delivery.

I have the x390 hero with a 9900k oc'd to 5.2ghz and everyone runs perfect and temps are where they should be.
I didnt like the temps I saw on a recent comparison so I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Master instead. Just getting the cooler and Ram today to get my build going. Glad to know you are hitting such high speeds with the Hero! What cooler? :)

I didnt like the temps I saw on a recent comparison so I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Master instead. Just getting the cooler and Ram today to get my build going. Glad to know you are hitting such high speeds with the Hero! What cooler? :)

corsair H115i PRO.

just so you know the components in the rog series handle stuff up to 150c, on other boards it is far far lower due to lower quality components.

I wont be surprised to see other boards going bad once i9's are widely available when overclocked, and that is if the bios is not aware of what its doing.

Gig should do fine, they been around for a while. but since they using better VRM stuff for their latest boards you better hope the bios doesn't get things wrong.

also, careful with youtube hardware videos, it is not what you think.

Last edited:
corsair H115i PRO.

just so you know the components in the rog series handle stuff up to 150c, on other boards it is far far lower due to lower quality components.

I wont be surprised to see other boards going bad once i9's are widely available when overclocked, and that is if the bios is not aware of what its doing.

Gig should do fine, they been around for a while. but since they using better VRM stuff for their latest boards you better hope the bios doesn't get things wrong.

also, careful with youtube hardware videos, it is not what you think.
Well, with all due respect what makes your information more believable than the analysis I have seen from others? No disrespect meant but you see my point, right? ;)

its not what is more believable, its what you know and what you want.

I chose to go with a better bios from Asus even though the VRM will run a tad higher than other board but its designed that way, the limit is 150c.

right now my VRM sits 58c under prime 95 with 9900k oc'd to 5.2ghz on all 8 cores, I am happy.

The VRM temp limit on other boards is lower, so the temps need to stay lower, that is also designed that way.

I picked quality over quantity, that is all there is to it.

its not what is more believable, its what you know and what you want.

I chose to go with a better bios from Asus even though the VRM will run a tad higher than other board but its designed that way, the limit is 150c.

right now my VRM sits 58c under prime 95 with 9900k oc'd to 5.2ghz on all 8 cores, I am happy.

The VRM temp limit on other boards is lower, and the temps need to stay lower, that is also designed that way.

I picked quality over quantity, that is all there is to it.
Oh I couldnt disagree more with that last statement.
I think this is a case of seeing what you want to see. Based on all the actual real world tests and information I have seen for both boards the quality and build favors the Gigabyte board easily, but hey if its working for you, then who cares, right?
I am done with this conversation.

there are no issues with the Hero, it just uses a different method with the latest and best VRM phases for the power delivery so don't let the logic of more vram phases is better fool you, there is also quality of components. Just like how you have cheap power supplies for $30 and go high as $200 for the same advertised power delivery.

I have the x390 hero with a 9900k oc'd to 5.2ghz and everything runs perfect and temps are where they should be.

This VRM analysis by Buildzoid does not inspire much confidence.

This VRM analysis by Buildzoid does not inspire much confidence.

didn't find anything negative in that video regarding how it handles the 9900k in real life test.

anyway, they just released a new video for asrock z390 ultimate, and they claim that it lacks vcore vrm power, and that board has 10 phase vrm with doublers.

in the end, the Asus Rog series mobo's in my opinion will still be the best for the i9 9900k.

didn't find anything negative in that video regarding how it handles the 9900k in real life test.

anyway, they just released a new video for asrock z390 ultimate, and they claim that it lacks vcore vrm power, and that board has 10 phase vrm with doublers.

in the end, the Asus Rog series mobo's in my opinion will still be the best for the i9 9900k.

Can you stop deflecting?

I expected more from the Maximus lineup. The Maximus XI Hero is a $300 board. The Maximus XI Code, which I assume uses the same VRM layout is like $50 more. This is reminiscent of the Maximus VII Ranger, which was a POS and didn't deserve the Maximus name.

I'm waiting for him to do the Maximus XI Formula, I'm hoping it'll be better.

Can you stop deflecting?

I expected more from the Maximus lineup. The Maximus XI Hero is a $300 board. The Maximus XI Code, which I assume uses the same VRM layout is like $50 more. This is reminiscent of the Maximus VII Ranger, which was a POS and didn't deserve the Maximus name.

I'm waiting for him to do the Maximus XI Formula, I'm hoping it'll be better.

z390 Hero can easily deliver the power needed to push the 9900k up to 6.8ghz ------------>

what are your goals? 10ghz? if so then wait for something like EVGA z390 Dark, which will cost a lot more.

Last edited:
I ended going with the Maximus XI Hero over the Gigabyte Master. The Bios is much better and my VRM temps stay in the Mid 50s with my 9900K @ 5.1.

Vcore is set at 1.325, LLC 6, shows 1.208-1.225 per CPU-Z and HWiNFO under Prime 95 26.6 Small FFT load, currently stable for 10 hours.

upload_2018-11-21_10-30-38.png

I know I have a maximus Hero and have not had excessive heat on the motherboard. I have many a fans in the case to keep everything cool. Love the Bios compared to my other ASUS lower tier MB or the Gigabyte mb I have on the 3rd system.

I'll have more time tomorrow to really push it. I was messing with it yesterday at 5.2 but couldn't get it stable.

Yeah CPU temps will probably come in to play way before your VRM will. Besides I'd be happy with 5.1 on a 9900K, that's excellent.

I originally got a z390 taichi but ordered a gigabyte Paris master z390 today. Mainly because I stream and it doesn't look like i can run my 2080ti @ 16x and capture card at 4x on the taichi. From reviews the bios on both boards looks fine.

I'm considering the Gigabyte Designaire Z390. Anyone have any comments on Gigabyte's fan control?

I'm used to Asus and Asrock.. but not Gigabyte.

I'm considering the Gigabyte Designaire Z390. Anyone have any comments on Gigabyte's fan control?

I'm used to Asus and Asrock.. but not Gigabyte.

It's pretty good. I configure mine in the bios because just about every manufacturer's windows programs suck.

Back