Frozencpu.com going out of business sale 50% off

i feel like they did a going out of business sale some years ago, maybe just my memory?
I think you're on to something lol.
download.jpg

Maybe they did go out of business and came back with a different owner or something.
Sounds like this is the case as the original founder isn't the current owner:

"Sad Goodbye
April 10, 2023

FrozenCPU, a pioneer of liquid cooling for desktops since 1999, has decided to close their online retail operation. They have enjoyed great success since its inception when determined founder, Mark Friga, started the company out of a 1-bedroom apartment in upstate NY. That success is attributed to impeccable customer service, offering many custom modifications and being in a niche market that exploded in popularity.

They will move away from ecommerce to focus on expanding their ModRight brand. In 2013 they made a splash when then owner, Mark Friga, developed and patented the first of its kind anti-static assembly mat. The ModRight Mod-Mat Xtreme allows you to build or assemble PC components while staying safe from electrostatic discharge due to the mat material. The useful measuring devices printed on the mat in full color is what makes it so special.

“We want to Thank everyone for their patronage through the years and our loyal fans and followers for being there along the way with us over the past 23 years. It was a fantastic journey, and this was not an easy decision. We persevered through ups and downs and have now reached the time for change. Moving forward with ModRight products and partnerships is our future. We will still be here but in a different capacity”, says the current owner, Lori Neva.

Everything is for sale, says Neva. They will have cash and carry days for all furniture and fixtures at the warehouse in Rochester, NY. Online orders will be accepted through April 30, 2023. Check the website www.frozencpu.com for more information and 50% off all IN STOCK items."

They will move away from ecommerce to focus on expanding their ModRight brand. In 2013 they made a splash when then owner, Mark Friga, developed and patented the first of its kind anti-static assembly mat. The ModRight Mod-Mat Xtreme allows you to build or assemble PC components while staying safe from electrostatic discharge due to the mat material. The useful measuring devices printed on the mat in full color is what makes it so special.
Translation: I'm making more than I ever imagined off screen printing on top of poly vinyl esd mats. A sucker is born everyday, and I've found them! Thank you GamersNexus for being my wingman.

Edit: how do you patent screen printing on top of an ESD mat? The patent office must be an absolute joke at this point.

Looking at the prices, even the 50% off didnt seem that amazing.

Swiftech D5 pump, $105 after 50% off or $110 every day at performance-pcs. That also ignores that constant supply of 10%+ off promos performance-pcs has. I didn't even shop around.

So are they actually going out of business or is this just one of those fake going out of business sales that the furniture and mattress world is famous for?

You had to get in on the sales last night when the article first hit. Most of the good stuff is gone. Now it's just their overpriced crap that's never sold. They had nothing for rads other than a alphacool ut60 360 for $90 while the xt45 360 was $150, just stupid.
I picked up a koolance 450s for $62, some koolance fluid for $10 a bottle and a bunch of bitspower fittings for like $2-$3ea.
There are still some sweet deals if you look.

So are they actually going out of business or is this just one of those fake going out of business sales that the furniture and mattress world is famous for?
I think it's for real with the last part about selling off racking and other store fixtures--that's when it's for real. :)

Sad - I ordered a bunch of older Lian Li parts from them over the last few months.
Yeah, it sucks. I've ordered tons of wcing gear from them over the years. They were always good for the hard to find older parts.
It's getting thinner and thinner in the wcing world.
The only retailers left are ppcs, modmymods and spartanliquidcooling that I can think of.

No sale on cases. Shipping ruins the discount. Hardly anything of value.

Probably why they're going out of business. I've been doing watercooling and things for way too long now, and I've never bought anything from them. Performance PCs or even buying from Koolance directly back in the day has always been cheaper.

Yeah, it sucks. I've ordered tons of wcing gear from them over the years. They were always good for the hard to find older parts.
It's getting thinner and thinner in the wcing world.
The only retailers left are ppcs, modmymods and spartanliquidcooling that I can think of.
titanrig and dazmode are pretty good too. Dazmode is an “OG” iirc.

Translation: I'm making more than I ever imagined off screen printing on top of poly vinyl esd mats. A sucker is born everyday, and I've found them! Thank you GamersNexus for being my wingman.

Edit: how do you patent screen printing on top of an ESD mat? The patent office must be an absolute joke at this point.
I suspect it's a design patent, not a utility patent.

Nope, I'm wrong:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9060460B1/en?inventor=Mark+Friga&oq=Mark+Friga

I suspect it's a design patent, not a utility patent.

Nope, I'm wrong:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9060460B1/en?inventor=Mark+Friga&oq=Mark+Friga
Wow. It's incredible. He put multiple grounding points on his mat. Revolutionary! I bet Desco, Hakko, 3M and the plethora of other companies that actually produce esd mats with multiple grounding points for the past 40 years are now going to bend over and pay him. HA.
I can't imagine how this was ever granted.

Even more shady stuff, I was looking at quick disconnects earlier today while at work and made a list of ones to pickup once I was home, now all the prices are doubled.

Wow. It's incredible. He put multiple grounding points on his mat. Revolutionary! I bet Desco, Hakko, 3M and the plethora of other companies that actually produce esd mats with multiple grounding points for the past 40 years are now going to bend over and pay him. HA.
I can't imagine how this was ever granted.
The hard part will be the defense of the patent if he goes after royalties, but again, this is what the 'patent trolls' industry does, isn't it?

Fascinating. What's the difference between a design patent and a utility patent? What other types of patents are there?
A utility patent is "we put a touchscreen in a rectangular slab of glass". A design patent is "we use rounded corners with a radius of ##, bezels of ##, and a single round button centered below the screen".

A utility patent is "we put a touchscreen in a rectangular slab of glass". A design patent is "we use rounded corners with a radius of ##, bezels of ##, and a single round button centered below the screen".
Sounds like the design gets more specific in the technicalities. Someone I know is a patent attorney that files a lot of patents for Texas Instruments. He said that the goal is to make the patent specific enough that it gets granted but broad enough that someone can't circumvent it. Does that sound about right?

Yep. Basically, utility patents cover function. Design patents cover purely ornamental features.

Fascinating. What's the difference between a design patent and a utility patent? What other types of patents are there?

Plant patents...I actually started working on one several years ago but decided against it when I was nearly done.

Wow As in biological plant or manufacturing plant?
like a plant plant...

Apple is probably the easiest example:

i.e. Honeycrisp apple is USPP7197

A lot are patented and then trademarked...

USPP24210 is the apple WA38 but then it was trademarked as Cosmic Crisp.

However, there are lots of different cultivars of peaches, almonds, strawberries, raspberries, wheat...even hops. Heck, even the rose bushes at Home Depot...most plants of value were probably bred and at one time or another had a patent. Most are off patent now as they use to only last 17 years (I think it is 20 now).

like a plant plant...

Apple is probably the easiest example:

i.e. Honeycrisp apple is USPP7197

A lot are patented and then trademarked...

USPP24210 is the apple WA38 but then it was trademarked as Cosmic Crisp.

However, there are lots of different cultivars of peaches, almonds, strawberries, raspberries, wheat...even hops. Heck, even the rose bushes at Home Depot...most plants of value were probably bred and at one time or another had a patent. Most are off patent now as they use to only last 17 years (I think it is 20 now).
Wow. So why did you decide against your patent?

Wow. So why did you decide against your patent?
To get into the weeds on this...

Apples are different from many other permanent crops. They are prone to mutations that are sought after. The most common of those is red color. If you think of the Red Delicious apple, it was originally discovered in the 1800s and had just a few red stripes. Back then, it was simply called Delicious. Over 100 years of mutations and selection turned it into a full red apple.

As the selections were made and patented, the owner of the patent would get a royalty for each tree that was planted.

I found a nearly full red mutation of Gala. However, new plantings of Gala have essentially stopped; you can't make the investment back. Furthermore, there was another one very similar discovered about the same time. So I wasn't sure it was worth the time, effort and expense.

To get into the weeds on this...

Apples are different from many other permanent crops. They are prone to mutations that are sought after. The most common of those is red color. If you think of the Red Delicious apple, it was originally discovered in the 1800s and had just a few red stripes. Back then, it was simply called Delicious. Over 100 years of mutations and selection turned it into a full red apple.

As the selections were made and patented, the owner of the patent would get a royalty for each tree that was planted.

I found a nearly full red mutation of Gala. However, new plantings of Gala have essentially stopped; you can't make the investment back. Furthermore, there was another one very similar discovered about the same time. So I wasn't sure it was worth the time, effort and expense.

Opal apple best apple.

Back