From Pixel 4 xl to S20, Oneplus 8 pro, 8t, or wait S21?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
So currently I have Pixel 4 xl and ever since the specs of the Pixel 5 came out and were a downgrade from 4 xl, I feel like Google just went in the wrong direction with downgrade specs. Face unlock is missing and now abandoned will no longer be supported I feel. They discontinued the 4/xl less than a year and basically just screwed everyone over with a downgrade phone. I am kinda done with Google's overpriced crap specs.

Should I ditch the 4xl and get oneplus 8 pro, 8t, or wait for S21?

The Pixel 4 XL is still a great phone one year later, excellent camera, and will get 2 years of updates still. There's really no massive big upgrade out over it now, yeah 2020 phones are better, but not radically better. I'd wait until 2021, OnePlus 9 Pro

I bought the Pixel 4 xl only in June I think so the 1 year warranty could carry me into a better replacement since the Pixel 4 was discontinued so early if I were to have a problem before the warranty ran out next year.

I'd say the P5 is more of a side-grade than a downgrade; slower SoC and higher res display, but more RAM and the SoC performance will be pretty negligible for real-world usage and the display gets significantly brighter from the leaks I've seen (650ish nits vs 450ish on all previous Pixels), which I would definitely trade resolution for brightness every time I'm outside and can barely see the display on my 2 XL. Not to mention the significantly larger battery and more efficient SoC.

But I'm not sure why you're complaining at all unless your 4 XL has severely degraded somehow and is malfunctioning; new phones coming out don't affect the performance and features of your current phone. Use it until you can't or it goes EOL and replace it then, which is what I'm doing with my 2 XL that's still great for me every day. I'm only looking at replacing it soon because it's about to be EOL on software support and aren't too interested in rooting/ROMing and updating manually every month any more.

Just keep what you got. What will you really gain buying a newer phone? We have reached a point that every upgrade is a side grade at this point.

Can't expect every new phone to be a generational leap any more. I'm still using a Galaxy S8. Personally I think the Pixel 5 looks appealing. I don't play games on my phone so do I really need that 800-series SoC? I'll take a bigger battery and brighter screen though.

Can't expect every new phone to be a generational leap any more. I'm still using a Galaxy S8. Personally I think the Pixel 5 looks appealing. I don't play games on my phone so do I really need that 800-series SoC? I'll take a bigger battery and brighter screen though.
The past 3 generations have not been any kind of a leap. The pixel 2 is a perfectly capable phone still. Hell a 1 is perfectly fine for most people. Only time I replaces a phone is when it breaks.

My wife has my old Pixel 2 XL, I'm on the 4 XL, honestly besides FaceID, I really can't tell much a difference.

Especially once a year I'll wipe her phone, factory reset with latest Android build, and the 2 XL feels smooth and good.

My only complaint about my 3XL (as I've stated ad nauseum ;)) has been its steadily worsening battery life. Lately, however, I've also noticed that it lags or momentarily freezes while switching between apps, scrolling through photos, or browsing quickly through web pages. I'm looking forward to the reviews of the P5 and OP 8T. Google will give me $150 trade-in for my 3XL. If Black Friday gives us a $100 price drop on the P5, I'll probably go for it... unless the phone sux.

My only complaint about my 3XL (as I've stated ad nauseum ;)) has been its steadily worsening battery life. Lately, however, I've also noticed that it lags or momentarily freezes while switching between apps, scrolling through photos, or browsing quickly through web pages. I'm looking forward to the reviews of the P5 and OP 8T. Google will give me $150 trade-in for my 3XL. If Black Friday gives us a $100 price drop on the P5, I'll probably go for it... unless the phone sux.

Yeah, also likely to hold out and see what black friday offers. Galaxy S20 FE looks interesting too - 800 series chipset but less RAM IIRC. Screen size is a bit bigger than I prefer though.

I'm in a similar situation.. I currently have a OnePlus 6 which is fine.. battery life is starting to get worse but nothing horrible. I was thinking of the pixel 5 but for the price I feel it's a bit underwhelming, but I do like the idea of having a really good camera and a stock android OS. I also am looking at the new S20 FE which is at the same price point with much better specs, I had a note 5 years ago but i'm not really wanting to get back to Samsung with all that bloat. Which brings me to the OnePlus 8T coming out soon that looks to have even better specs and build than any of other phones, i'm just hoping the camera is better than the OP6. If the 8T is $699 I might not be able to pass that up.

I'm in a similar situation.. I currently have a OnePlus 6 which is fine.. battery life is starting to get worse but nothing horrible. I was thinking of the pixel 5 but for the price I feel it's a bit underwhelming, but I do like the idea of having a really good camera and a stock android OS. I also am looking at the new S20 FE which is at the same price point with much better specs, I had a note 5 years ago but i'm not really wanting to get back to Samsung with all that bloat. Which brings me to the OnePlus 8T coming out soon that looks to have even better specs and build than any of other phones, i'm just hoping the camera is better than the OP6. If the 8T is $699 I might not be able to pass that up.

If the camera is high on your list OnePlus should not be at the top of your list. The hardware has been good but their software/processing has not been to the same level as Samsung or Google.

However, if you have been happy with the the OP6 camera, I would expect that the 8T camera would be better as each generation seems to get a bit better.

Great phones otherwise.

Back