Frighteningly hot HM470 PCH temperature on Clevo PB50DF2- are these readings correct!?

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
PCH-is-HOT.jpg

This seems alarming, especially considering all the laptop has done for the past ~8 hours is download a single bandwidth-capped torrent and install a couple games from GoG. HWiNFO was claiming around 113*C last night while I was running Heaven loops for stability testing. CPU & GPU temperatures are fine even under full load and the laptop is on a raised cooling pad on a desk. I've had this machine for a couple months and while the PCH runs hot I haven't seen it get this hot nor stay this hot- I think it's always been below 90*C before. I did re-install Windows a couple days ago- could some weird driver interaction be causing HWiNFO to read the PCH temp wrong? Or could the borderline psychotic amount of latency tuning I've done this weekend be hitting the PCH excessively hard by way of power saving stuff being disabled? I installed the latest chipset drivers and latest Clevo platform drivers. When I got the laptop I put a tiny Raspberry Pi type heatsink on the PCH because the bare die was completely uncooled in the stock config- could that be detrimental somehow? Checking the datasheet for 400-series PCH I see Intel claims a TJmax of 110*C so I guess technically I'm barely within range but I really don't want my fancy new machine to destroy itself!

If it got dislodged, then it could be preventing the chip from cooling properly.

And yeah, good possibility some setting(s) you adjusted had an impact. I'd look at the PCH bus power saving settings in particular.

If it got dislodged, then it could be preventing the chip from cooling properly.

And yeah, good possibility some setting(s) you adjusted had an impact. I'd look at the PCH bus power saving settings in particular.
Yeah it was definitely my overzealous tuning that did it... resetting the BIOS didn't fix the overheating but was probably worth it anyways to start from scratch now that I know the machine better (plus who knows what stuff I changed before in some buried sub-sub-sub-menu and forgot about lol). But you were right about bus power saving being the culprit- changing "(PCIe) Link State Power Management" from OFF to "Maximum Power Savings" in the Ultimate Performance power plan dropped PCH temps by 20 degrees and my audio latency under simulated moderate whole-system load (Heaven Extreme on 2070S + CrystalDiskMark on both NVMe + CPUz 4T stress test) still seems acceptable. Only frustrating thing is that the Ultimate Power plan resets PCIe Power Management back to "Off" every time I reboot.

Guess using Windows Power Plan settings to turn my laptop into a desktop worked a bit too well ;) Next time I have the thing open I'll try and figure out better cooling for the PCH so I can run it in full-on mode but this seems a fine solution for now.

Back