Free image manipulation tool that doesn't suck

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Been trying to use GIMP, and I cannot stand this program at all.

Need the ability to do basic image editing - delete a section, change words by removing them and putting in a new text box etc. Photoshop express wants a login. GIMP sucks ass (one delete per image, thank you very much - wtf is this shit?), and I'm a bit stumped short of trying to use paint?

paint ftw
sometimes ill use gimp to lasso something and copy to paint. but i make all my meme in paint ;)

Last edited:
one delete per image, thank you very much - wtf is this shit?
Dunno, don't remember ever having that problem...but it's been a while.

Paint.net is pretty okay, if it's still around. It's kinda like a more advanced mspaint, or a simpler photoshop. It's like what the new mspaint should've been.

FastStone Image Viewer is ok.

For simple editing I still use "JASC - Paint Shop Pro 5" from 1998. It's got all the basic tools I need and it's very fast.

Last edited:
GIMP is pretty much the best free / open source tool out there. You are doing something wrong. I've been using GIMP for years and have never had the problem you are describing. My only gripe about GIMP is I always forget how to get out of the selection tool.

If you want something better, pony up and buy a piece of commercial software such as Affinity Designer:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

I have both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.

Affinity Photo is way better than Adobe Lightroom. I honestly haven't used Designer all that much just because I am so used to just doing everything in GIMP... I should actually sit down and start using it instead of GIMP going by how good Affinity Photo is.

$49.99 one time payment and you get lifetime upgrades.

I got in when they first released their programs for PC so I got them at about half price. They used to only be for the Apple platform.

Oh yeah.. they have a 10-day trial period so you can test out the software before you buy.

Worth every penny and then some.

Reactions: cjcox
like this
Gimp is like from the 90s. We use Inkscape here and it works wonderfully. Do you edit with mouse or a pen like Wacom or another tool?

Gimp is like from the 90s. We use Inkscape here and it works wonderfully. Do you edit with mouse or a pen like Wacom or another tool?

Photoshop is from the '90's too. :LOL: Inkscape is more akin to Illustrator than Photoshop, isn't it? I've been interested in checking it out.

Technically it's not free, if you don't have a valid license you are pirating if you use this version.
Actually Adobe themselves provided the key for free use. As stated by Adobe. So yes, this version is free for use with the license provided.

That’s not a link to pirated software. Read the page.

Actually Adobe themselves provided the key for free use. As stated by Adobe. So yes, this version is free for use with the license provided.

That’s not a link to pirated software. Read the page.

Yes adobe provided this software version and license for their existing customers of CS2 to use, when the activation servers were shut down.
It is not meant to be used by anyone else, and if they do they are pirating. The sites hosting this version as "free" are misleading.
This is the stance given by the community rep on the official adobe forums.

We're just a bit tired of pointing this out...

Although, honestly, I don't think anyone at Adobe cares all that much. This is ancient software, seriously outdated, which will probably not even install or run properly on most current systems.

But from a legal standpoint it's perfectly clear. You must have a valid CS/CS2 license to use it. It was put up because the original activation servers had to be shut down for technical reasons, so if these licensed users needed to reinstall, it would not activate.

Yes adobe provided this software version and license for their existing customers of CS2 to use, when the activation servers were shut down.
It is not meant to be used by anyone else, and if they do they are pirating. The sites hosting this version as "free" are misleading.
This is the stance given by the community rep on the official adobe forums.

Different sources and opinions. If Adobe wanted it pulled it would be. That link has existed for many years.

Different sources and opinions. If Adobe wanted it pulled it would be. That link has existed for many years.
What sources? The link you give doesn't say it's freeware, in fact it says: License: Commercial

Ultimately it's up to you what you do with the information but I'd not use this software under the assumption that it is legal.

Back