"For me it's the most desirable piece of 3D graphics hardware" - rys sommefeldt

erek

[H]F Junkie
Never even knew it was around. I read the thread and it seems none are in the wild, at least that's the story there.

Reactions: erek
like this
never even left early dev stage, nothing even physical was produced

NVIDIA NV2
"NV2 is NVIDIA's display chip, the product named Mutara V08, funded by Sega Corporation, used in Sega's game consoles, but eventually cancelled development.

Due to the failure of NV1 published in 1995, NVIDIA was in financial difficulty. Sega rushed to send a $7 million deposit to fund NVIDIA's development of the NV2 as a display chip for the next generation of game consoles. Even though Sega found the quadratic equation texture map to be flawed, NVIDIA insisted on using this drawing technique instead of polygon stereoscopic technique. At the same time, Sega sent engineers to NVIDIA to help develop NV2, hoping to adopt polygonal stereoscopic technology. Later, Sega approached 3dfx, which was very hot at the time, in an attempt to use Voodoo Banshee in the console. NEC joined the battle and, and in the end, Sega adopted the display core of THE NEC-related PowerVR.

NV2 is NVIDIA's second product, but it was never developed. Direct 3D wasn't too popular at the time, and NV2's quadratic equation texture maps provided better performance. But Sega eventually abandoned NV2 in favor of partnering with PowerVR. But if NVIDIA had not had Sega's support at that time, it would not have survived today.
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_NV2 <use translation"

and

"NVIDIA's strong desire to stick with their maturing quadratic forward texture mapping technology was a great cause of friction between Sega and NVIDIA. One part of the equation was undoubtedly that Sega's PC games division. A quadratic 3D game engine would be very difficult to port over to just about any other contemporary 3D graphics hardware, all of which used triangle primitives and inverse-texture mapping. More importantly, although consumer 3D hardware was still in its infancy, there was general consensus within the industry that triangle primitives with inverse-texture mapping would be standard going forward. Sega ultimately selected NEC/VideoLogic's PowerVR2 to power the 3d-graphics in its Dreamcast console.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1

never even left early dev stage, nothing even physical was produced

NVIDIA NV2
"NV2 is NVIDIA's display chip, the product named Mutara V08, funded by Sega Corporation, used in Sega's game consoles, but eventually cancelled development.

Due to the failure of NV1 published in 1995, NVIDIA was in financial difficulty. Sega rushed to send a $7 million deposit to fund NVIDIA's development of the NV2 as a display chip for the next generation of game consoles. Even though Sega found the quadratic equation texture map to be flawed, NVIDIA insisted on using this drawing technique instead of polygon stereoscopic technique. At the same time, Sega sent engineers to NVIDIA to help develop NV2, hoping to adopt polygonal stereoscopic technology. Later, Sega approached 3dfx, which was very hot at the time, in an attempt to use Voodoo Banshee in the console. NEC joined the battle and, and in the end, Sega adopted the display core of THE NEC-related PowerVR.

NV2 is NVIDIA's second product, but it was never developed. Direct 3D wasn't too popular at the time, and NV2's quadratic equation texture maps provided better performance. But Sega eventually abandoned NV2 in favor of partnering with PowerVR. But if NVIDIA had not had Sega's support at that time, it would not have survived today.
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_NV2 <use translation"

and

"NVIDIA's strong desire to stick with their maturing quadratic forward texture mapping technology was a great cause of friction between Sega and NVIDIA. One part of the equation was undoubtedly that Sega's PC games division. A quadratic 3D game engine would be very difficult to port over to just about any other contemporary 3D graphics hardware, all of which used triangle primitives and inverse-texture mapping. More importantly, although consumer 3D hardware was still in its infancy, there was general consensus within the industry that triangle primitives with inverse-texture mapping would be standard going forward. Sega ultimately selected NEC/VideoLogic's PowerVR2 to power the 3d-graphics in its Dreamcast console.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1
From the Beyond3D discussion there is indications of at least partially working silicon prototypes but not in the wild.

no. "i heard" guy is a rando from the internet in 2007.
I remain more optimistic than totally ruling out any possibility, Rys was at least looking so that’s some indication he believed there might of been a prototype. Though I imagine you already know but Rys is a well known architectural reviewer in the industry and has been in those buildings

im pretty sure the "in the wild" is his personal hopefulness coming through. there are no cards and you are hinging hope on a dead thread from 2007.
Mainly just wanted to share this exciting history I discovered today. Had no idea about the NV2 and possible Dreamcast plans and there was some discussion in another thread about 3dfx being in the running with the BlackBelt. The plot thickens here. I went down this random google search for the “nvidia nv2” due to some one offering me an nv1 and I already had an appreciation for the unique and iconic look of the QUADS rendering technique. Quite a surprise in those beyond3d threads 🧵 . The possibility of the most rare 3d hardware is simply scintillating and spurs the imagination

1642051565006.png

Back