Flickr: Let’s be candid.

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
It was inevitable and with that said I will be looking for another service soon.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

::

Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn’t Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant free offering.
If you are a free member with more than 1,000 photos or videos, you will have ample time to upgrade to Pro (for 30% off your first year) or download your photos and videos.*

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.

$3/mo really isn't asking much, though. I think you'll have a hard time finding a better value out there.

That said, I've never used flickr, but I have been hosting everything on smugmug for 10+ years now (which, coincidentally own flickr now).

I guess it depends on your use-case. If you want to store full size hi res pics, Flickr is hard to beat for the price their asking. If you just want to share pics - hell IG, Facebook, among others can do that.

For me, since I store a bunch of random files including pics, I'm keeping 2x (paid) OneDrive accounts (one work and one personal, so 2x 1tb) and my old regular google drive. Jpegs are small enough that 1TB is more than enough. Raw files I just keep on my home 3TB HD (which is a RAID1) along with copies on my home 4TB NAS and another 8TB drive attached to my router. I'm not a video shooter so it's a little easier just storing pics.

^On top of that, if you have Amazon Prime, photo storage is included (unlimited) so there's that as well.

I think the big advantage to Flickr was its community. If they block the amount of posting the community can do, then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Still for a similar service, one could easily move to 500px.

$3/mo really isn't asking much, though

It really isn't but weren't they a bit disingenuous when they bought Flickr. They said nothing changes and here we are at $50 a year (for now, it'll go up soon). I get operational costs but they knew that going in.

It really isn't but weren't they a bit disingenuous when they bought Flickr. They said nothing changes and here we are at $50 a year (for now, it'll go up soon). I get operational costs but they knew that going in.

But everyone knew things would change sooner than later ;) C'mon... how many times does a company absorb another and NOT make changes? :p

The current monthly plan on flickr without discounts is $6/mo. Which is already equivalent to SmugMug, and SM's pricing has been more or less the same for the 10 years that I've been with them.

Back