First upgrade in over 10 years, help!

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,
Currently running an x58 system with a 970 gpu and x5660 processor.

I'm wanting to finally update my core system. I have a budget of around $700 for cpu, ram and mobo. I'll be keeping current storage(1tb sata SSD, 2tb 3.5" drive), PSU (seasonic X750) and my EVGA nvidia 970 SSC for now.

Looking at 5600x (when it becomes available)

Mostly looking for a good motherboard and ram options. 32 gigs of RAM if possible.
I don't want the cheapest option but longevity is important since I don't build new often enough anymore.

Other items I may get from wifey for Christmas include nzxt 510 elite case and nzxt x63 cooler.

I might be able to sell parts of my old pc to get close enough to upgrade my gpu in the future.
I have multiple DDR3 memory kits from gskill,
3x2gb
3x4gb
3x8gb
I7 920
Xeon x5660
The 970

System is used mostly for gaming and some parametric modeling. I need to update the system mainly due to games requiring AVX support now.
I will be overclocking the 3600x to 5ghz most likely in the future.
Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
G-Skill Neo ~3733 MHz (min) and Asus Dark Hero are on my list. You could go with 3600Mhz and save some coin.

I run the MSI X570 Unify and really like it. Have had 0 stability issues out of it and the VRM cooling performance is great.

The sweet spot for 32GB RAM in terms of price/performance is probably 3600Mhz Cas 18. You can get this for as little as $99 right now from NE. It will likely tighten to Cas 16 without issue or with only a slight bump in voltage. If you want 3600Mhz Cas 16 memory, you're looking at $180 for that Trident Neo Z kit. DDR4 3733 Mhz kits are stupidly expensive ($220-280) compared to 3600Mhz. You're better off just manually setting the speed to 3733 and seeing if it works. 4000Mhz Cas 16 is around $270 right now at NE for non-LED RipJawsV and it goes up from there. Expensive RAM is the WORST investment for performance you can buy. You're looking at up to a $180 difference for very minimal differences. 3600Mhz is fine IMO. I see no reason to pay a B-die tax unless you're a benchmark whore or a professional overclocker. I mean you can get 98%+ of the performance for 40% of the price. On a $700 budget, it doesn't make sense.

I agree with Mega6 on the budget board selection. I'm on the X570-Pro right now and have had zero issues with it. In day to day operation, I can tell no difference between it and the CH8 I had before.

5Ghz may or may not happen with the 5600x. 5Ghz is just a number. You can just leave the processor to boost on its own and you will have good results. I had a great time with my X5660 and overclocking, but modern CPUs just aren't the same with the boost algorithms.

Back