First Real Nas Build

Shadowarez

Gawd
hi all i am finally ditching my Jank setup iv had hogpoged together since 2016 its time to join the ranks of actual building a actual nas that will meet/exceed usage requirements.

the Jank setup was
a Qnap TS-469 Pro which now refuses to acknowledge internet on either port. (24TB) was the backup incase the mini itx system crapped out.
custom itx rig B450 asus + 3200g runs plex but wont let anyone use lan shares in one form or another iv taken it down multiple times trying differnt os's but ultimately it stops working on network so im going build full custom and use unraid. (16TB)

i have had a total network failure 3-4 times this year alone be it to more then 1 disk failing or a nas device deciding it doesnt want to be on the network anymore and refuses to go online, i have built 20+ custom rigs since 2020 and many itx rigs so i thought time to build a actual good network solution i can trust and centralize as in 1 device 1 Olympic sized pool of storage.

i am planning on using unraid with this setup to host plex, and my downloads/app folders also tying in all our devices/computers to this nas for backups on regular basis, the cache i figure wouldnt do much for the media streaming but for the downloads/apps/backups would help alot. the excessive amount of ram is mainly going to just be a ramdisk for plex incase it needs to transcode. the cpu will be changed out once i can get a 5700g.

here is my proposed build with parts i already have.
1.Silvertsone DS308B
2.Asus Strix gaming itx x570
3.Corsair LPX Vengence 2x32gb 3200mhz
4.AMD 9 5900x
5.Corsair 750 Platuim
6.9x 18TB Exos x18 HDDs
7.2x Sabrent Rocket 1TB (Cache)
8.Noctua NH-L9a Chromax
9.LSI 9207 8i (HBA)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
with unraid if i wanted to cache this pool do i have to have it connected to 1 of the 8 bays or can i load say 8x16Tb drives then use the m.2 nvme connector on my motherboard to cache the pool?

Would it not use ram for cache over NVMe's? So more ram would be better? Or will it go from RAM to NVMe then to spinning rust and vice versa?

im not 100% but i can def overload the ram portion as i have a few 64gb kits 2x32gb sticks. i have 5 1 tb nvme 4.0 ssds coming in thought that would be far better then sata based ssds if i could make that drive or a pair of drives cache the entire pool. right now i have about 8 Tb of movies, 5 Tb of data/programs once i get the case ill post the build and drives ill be using. cant seem to get enough 16tb drives in one order so ill order one every pay till iv got the entire 8 bays filled.

i know with each drive i pull out and replace ill have to do a re-silvering/ rebuild so i wanted to make sure i had fast enough cache to boost that process be it 64gb of ram or 2 tb of pcie 4 nvme ssds.

switched out my drive choice as my original 16tb drives shot up to $749 a drive i got a deal on 9 Seagate x18 18tb drives for $500 each so far better choice.

it'll be better then the Jank setup i have atm lol ill post a link once these drives make it across the border and i can start building i am thinking of running multiple ups systems into one another to hopefully get enough redundant power to keep it powered if power goes out as im sure it'll take a week to clear 8x18tb drives

Looks solidish do some reviews on the case. I seemed to remember this case likes to over heat a bit also Nvidia is much better for that task. Look at used Nvidia cards. I use a P400 passed via vmware to a windows host without issues for GPU transcoding. that 5900x is wayyyy overkill unless you have alot of other compute needs. go an older chip with more threads

If you have Rack space here is my current NAS case. Works like a charm:

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Rackmount-Micro-ATX-RM21-308/dp/B07PHQJ8JL

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i had to modify the case with some cardboard and changed out the fans its basicly only goin to run as a backup and plex doesnt need any transcoding but like the compact design of this.

Back