first AMD K6 CPUs - the ES / black version

keke

Weaksauce
wondering if members of the forum did come across these ones, working samples

also, any stability issues under Win95 or Win98?

AMD K6 ES-1.jpg

I had a K6-200MHz briefly. It wasn't an ES. I had a production version, purchased in summer 1997. They had some bug that caused crashes if you had more than 32MB of ram. I forget the exact details, but I was able to replicate it on my 64MB machine. I ended up returning it and getting a Pentium 200MMX instead.

I had a K6-200MHz briefly. It wasn't an ES. I had a production version, purchased in summer 1997. They had some bug that caused crashes if you had more than 32MB of ram. I forget the exact details, but I was able to replicate it on my 64MB machine. I ended up returning it and getting a Pentium 200MMX instead.
had the opposite experience: I got my first computer with Pentium 233, a week later I replace it with K6 266 and for next 10 years I was hooked on AMD CPUs :)

got nearly every version of K6 in my machine, with a late motherboard upgrade - skipped the K7 SlotA years - and went with Socket 462 Athlons.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Good memories. Used one in my first complete build. I tried to use it with a voodo rush there were so many issues with the card I got that I got a swap to a good 2d card and a 3d only voodo card for free. Had it with windows 95 and was rock solid. No crashes at all.

My second cpu was amd 233. Replaced cyrix 166.

Paied my first 3d card, ati rsge pro. Jedi knight at 1024x768 w as a beautiful thing. Never looked at consoles again

. It did make me go k6-2 350 but that was short lived after seeing friends with celeron 300a destroying the k6-2 is gl quake. Promptly ditched the 350 for celeron.

wondering if members of the forum did come across these ones, working samples

also, any stability issues under Win95 or Win98?

View attachment 325622

Stability on K6 CPU's was largely up to the motherboard. 95% of all issues with AMD processor based systems in those days could easily be traced back to the budget nature of such systems. Not only were the boards absolute trash in many cases, but so were the components that went with most builds. Beyond that, there were some technical issues such as AGP card compatibility issues with Super 7 chipset based boards. Again, these were non-Intel chipset based boards and the quality on these varied wildly.

Back