Find me a laptop, robust, powerful, long battery life, ports, 4k display, desktop replacement.

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
I need the most powerful laptop that money can buy, but I also need it to meet my most important requirements below. I replaced a gaming system that I never used with this. I do video renderings, blu-ray rips, picture editing, email, internet. If it can do gaming, that is a plus, but not a requirement. Must be reliable with a good support and warranty.

1. Long battery life (8 hours plus)
2. Great display (4k, don't care for high refresh).
3. Great keyboard
4. ThunderBolt 3 a must, have a Caldigit TS3 plus dock waiting to be connected.
5. Must be portable and light. 15"-17"

Open Budget.

I may be mistaken, but light, powerful and good battery life probably need to be ranked in importance. I wasn't sure if your list was in order of importance. Even with unlimited budget, I'm pretty sure it's a "pick two" kind of scenario. High end in a tight space won't have a great battery. That kind of thing.

From what I've seen, Ryzen apu's have made portable gaming even more possible, so maybe that's changed over the last year or so, but I figured that detail might help people suggest the best fit for you.

Desktop replacement laptops and "long battery life" rarely if ever belong in the same sentence.

I understand some things need to be adjusted to gain the list of important things I have down. It needs to meet those on the list, so the other items that are not listed, can be adjusted like how powerful it actually is. Ryzen as I am aware doesn't have Thunderbolt. So thats out.

Dell XPS 15 or 17, I'd guess. It's been getting favorable reviews. I've been very happy with my XPS 13 from last year. There's also the Precision for something a little larger and geared more towards portable workstation.

In the same class is the Lenovo X1 Extreme, but I'm not too enthused about their build quality. There's also the P series workstation laptops.

Not sure what HP's answer is here.

Ryzen 3rd gen is the ticket, but nobody's put one in a premium 15 or 17" laptop yet as far as I can tell. If you can get by with a decent 14" WQHD screen, the ASUS G14 ticks all the other boxes.

There aren't many 4k with good battery life. I have the X1 Extreme Gen1 and I get maybe 6 hours on a good day undervolted. Dell XPS 15 and Envy 15 are a bit better but nothing to write home about.

Honestly with your requirements the MBP 16 is probably the best bet (not quite 4k but close enough). Will easily do 8 hour plus even on the highest specs.

maybe the HP OMEN 15 2020 with the spec'd out 4k OLED screen ? It's made out of plastic so it's light about 5lbs and has a chassis that can actually cool it's components really well. It's easy to open up and upgrade and repair down the road. There are some reviews out there that show it's solid cooling performance. I think the 4k oled might be 120hz too i dunno.

Back