Finally got my parts together... did I screw this up?

ChrisUlrich

Weaksauce
I found an AMD 5800X and a MSI RTX 3080 Ventus available at a PC builder's mercy... so I went with him.

I pretty got everything I wanted EXCEPT the motherboard/case.

Case: Lian Li Dynamic o11 Dynamic
Motherboard: Gigabyte Auros Elite x570
CPU: AMD 5800X
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus
Harddrive: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro
RAM: 4x8 G.Skill TridentZ Neo @ 3600
PSU: Thermaltake 850W Gold
CPU Cooling: Deepcool Castle E360X
Case fans: Cooler Master Masterfan MF120s (9 of them)

I am not entirely sold on a mid case and this motherboard. I can change them, but the builder is confident it'll be a stable motherboard and the cooling will be plenty. I am not into maximum overclocking but I do like to push it slightly. You guys think this motherboard will handle 4.2ghz properly?

Should I get the Dynamic o11 XL (for added cooling benefits)?

https://versus.com/en/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-vs-msi-meg-x570-unify

This comparison shows more features for the MSI Unify (which was my original choice), but can't find much on how it handles overclocking and stability. The Aorus seems to do just fine in that area.

Is that why the Aorus Elite is considered entry level? It lacks USB-C, wifi, etc... but as far as system stability and overclocking, it does just fine?

Last edited:
I have a Deepcool Castle 360 in my O11 Dynamic and it runs fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the case unless you plan on tearing the whole thing apart and redoing it. If anything, I'd add a couple 140mm exhaust fans on top if you're worried about cooling.

As for the motherboard, yes, the MSI Unify is probably "better," but that's relative. I don't think you'd have a problem with the Aorus Elite board and a moderate OC. Pricing is all about features. As you mentioned, it has less features, so it is cheaper. IIRC, it had a decent VRM setup, so I think you'd be fine with an 8C CPU and a moderate OC.

I agree with the builder. I think you'd be paying extra money for very little benefit (see also that Royal RAM).

I have a Deepcool Castle 360 in my O11 Dynamic and it runs fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the case unless you plan on tearing the whole thing apart and redoing it. If anything, I'd add a couple 140mm exhaust fans on top if you're worried about cooling.

As for the motherboard, yes, the MSI Unify is probably "better," but that's relative. I don't think you'd have a problem with the Aorus Elite board and a moderate OC. Pricing is all about features. As you mentioned, it has less features, so it is cheaper. IIRC, it had a decent VRM setup, so I think you'd be fine with an 8C CPU and a moderate OC.

I agree with the builder. I think you'd be paying extra money for very little benefit (see also that Royal RAM).

The VRM on the Elite seems to be good when I read reviews on it. But they never compare it to a "top tier" board so I can't be sure.

Moderate overclocking is the best way to put it.

What's wrong with the RAM choice?

The VRM on the Elite seems to be good when I read reviews on it. But they never compare it to a "top tier" board so I can't be sure.

Moderate overclocking is the best way to put it.

What's wrong with the RAM choice?

The RAM is expensive for what it is. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. You can get similar performance for cheaper.

The RAM is expensive for what it is. There's nothing inherently wrong with it. You can get similar performance for cheaper.
Do you have any recommendations?

I assume you like the Ripjaw V for price/performance over the TridentZ?

Do you have any recommendations?

I assume you like the Ripjaw V for price/performance over the TridentZ?
With the Royal, the extra money you pay over the regular TridentZ goes to the shape of the clear plastic on the top of the RAM that makes the RGB lighting look "crystalized" and the shiny polished gold or silver color of the actual heatsink. That's it. Same sticks otherwise. Not gonna lie, in the right build the look of it is very cool - my cousin has 4 sticks of the stuff in his build... But make no mistake, you're paying the premium for the appearance, not the performance.

With the Royal, the extra money you pay over the regular TridentZ goes to the shape of the clear plastic on the top of the RAM that makes the RGB lighting look "crystalized" and the shiny polished gold or silver color of the actual heatsink. That's it. Same sticks otherwise. Not gonna lie, in the right build the look of it is very cool - my cousin has 4 sticks of the stuff in his build... But make no mistake, you're paying the premium for the appearance, not the performance.
That's great to hear since I am not all that into the cosmetic part of it.

I appreciate all the quick replies! Thank you!

I'm super anxious to finally have all the parts to build this thing!

I just built something very similar to you last week (in my sig), the 011 is a great case and I'd definitely go with the Z Neo

Back