FF VII Remake Combat

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought FF7 on release day for the PS1 back in 1997. Had a lot of hours in the game and my memory card died. Progress lost and I didn't have it in me at the time to start over. So now we have the Remake. Played the demo, bought the game, and just did the free upgrade to the PS5 version.

I was excited to see the demo offered CLASSIC mode. I expected an old fashioned turn based RPG but it wasn't that. As an older gamer, that style is comfortable to me...it's what I grew up on. I struggled a little bit with the new game, even in classic mode. It felt like there were a lot of things happening that I wasn't controlling. Overwhelming at times.

So I'm ready to dive into this but not sure if I should stick with classic mode or go with normal mode. I do not want to play on EASY difficulty. Just wondering if there are any other gamers, older or otherwise that have found the combat challenging? What mode did you choose? Are there any particular online guides or videos that you found helpful. There's a lot info out there, a lot of YouTube content. I'm going to dive in and try to figure all this out but was interested in some input from the [H] community. I may just be too old, too slow, and too stupid to enjoy this game. :)

Thanks for reading.
E

After watching some videos and knowing that I can switch back and forth when not in combat, I'm just going to try them and see what's comfortable.

I enjoy real-time combat the most. Turn-based it just stupid... like you are just standing there waiting to be hit. That being said I think that's a big reason I liked Final Fantasy 15 so much... and in that one too you can also stop the action and go to a more classic style. I am excited to play the FF7 Remake being that I couldn't get into the original at all.

I feel the real time mode works best with the new game. But you have the option :)

Still want to see FF8 remade in high resolution, this way [FF7 remake] would be cool as well.

I bought FF7 on release day for the PS1 back in 1997. Had a lot of hours in the game and my memory card died. Progress lost and I didn't have it in me at the time to start over. So now we have the Remake. Played the demo, bought the game, and just did the free upgrade to the PS5 version.

I was excited to see the demo offered CLASSIC mode. I expected an old fashioned turn based RPG but it wasn't that. As an older gamer, that style is comfortable to me...it's what I grew up on. I struggled a little bit with the new game, even in classic mode. It felt like there were a lot of things happening that I wasn't controlling. Overwhelming at times.

So I'm ready to dive into this but not sure if I should stick with classic mode or go with normal mode. I do not want to play on EASY difficulty. Just wondering if there are any other gamers, older or otherwise that have found the combat challenging? What mode did you choose? Are there any particular online guides or videos that you found helpful. There's a lot info out there, a lot of YouTube content. I'm going to dive in and try to figure all this out but was interested in some input from the [H] community. I may just be too old, too slow, and too stupid to enjoy this game. :)

Thanks for reading.
E
You have to just get adjusted to the new style. It was easier if you played XV. I've been wanting to try the expansion but it's been so long i'm too lazy to relearn the combat.

Definitely use the new style, it starts off slow, by the time you start getting to hard bosses you'll be accustomed to it. It is fantastic, enjoy!!

Back