Favorite utility to stress test 5900X for load temps?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I'd like to stress test my 5900X just to see what kind of load temps I get. I haven't overclocked it or activated PBO.

However, I had some issues with the installation of the NZXT Z73 early on and I'd like to see how my load temps are looking. The last time I overclocked a CPU was an intel 3770 back in 2015 or so. I've always used Prime95.

Is Prime95 still useful and effective with Ryzen 5000 series? Or is there some reason to stay away from Prime? Please note, I'm not necessarily trying to induce a failure in the CPU or test an overclock stability...I'd just like to see what the load temps are like.

ive been using OCCT lately, loads everything up to make sure the system is stable or you can focus it on the cpu. prime is still fine but does work it the hardest and unrealistically, especially with avx enabled.

Reactions: 1Wolf
like this
Not exactly the same thing, but I used Prime on the 5800X I built for my sister. I went for a mild OC as I often do on machines for family members, and workers started giving errors immediately at 4.7GHz at 1.325V. I didn't even get to look at temps, but I would imagine they were quite high, since it hit 74 after just one run of Cinebench R15 with a 280mm AIO. I decided to leave it stock.

like this
I use Aida 64 Extreme System Stability Test to load CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory, and GPU all at once. Of course this is after the CPU, Memory and GPU have been overclocked and tested separately for stability. Prime is perfect for a CPU because it indicates what the errors are based on the test it fails and HCI Design Memtest Pro for memory specific testing the only complete memory test that does so from within Windows and Furmark for GPU because it scans for artifacts and records them to indicate failure Some folks like MSI Kombustor too. Even if you are not overclocking and checking for Stock Stability all these apps are essential. Bottom line, if you want a stable system for gaming you want to stress all at the same time which Aida is good at, and with that, the purpose of the individualized test are for determining what in your system is failing if the multi stress test fails at stock speeds or overclocking.

like this
If you're looking to put one of the heaviest loads possible on the CPU to check worst case scenario temps then Prime95 is the easy choice. There are other things out there which can do that as well but Prime95 does the job really well and it's been around for a long time. It doesn't hurt that the torture test is able to tell you if the CPU throws any errors along the way. It's one of the tools I'll use to make sure the system is stable with an overclock.

That said, in almost all cases Prime95 small FFT test will simply launch the temps of a Ryzen CPU to around 90C where it will begin to throttle to keep the CPU in a safe range. That doesn't make it useless for that. I knew it was going to do that with any cooling setup I had but what was more important to me was seeing the clockspeeds the CPU was running at that point. With better cooling and using a Clock Optimizer offset I was able to increase clock speed even when it was running near 90C.

I also liked to use Prime95 blend for stability testing since it runs different tests running parts of the CPU/cache and RAM harder depending on the test.

like this
Thanks for the advice and opinions. I was already somewhat familiar with Prime95 as that is what I'd used in the past. But I went ahead and DL'd Aida64 Extreme and OCCT to give those a shot per the advice/recommendations above. Thanks! :)

Back