Fastest CPU/APU for FM2+?

cdoublejj

Gawd
whats the fastest APU or CPU i can get for the Asrock FM2A88M Extreme4+? The A10 -7870K? i wonder how much faster that is than an A8 6600K?

slightly better, its all in the link.
those are rough estimates i've already seen those, i looked up old reviews but they didn't even put anything as old as the 6600k in the reviews so i'd probably have to test for my self.

I don't love passmark but it's probably the best you are going to find for a direct comparison. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A8-6600K-APU-vs-AMD-A10-7890K/1946vs2744

As pendragon1 said it's only slightly better. The real kicker is it's still bellow most bulldozer or second gen desktop i5 cpus, which you can find dirt cheap on ebay.

I suspect there is a bigger performance increase on the GPU side of things if you are using onboard, but I'm still not sure it would worth while.

those are rough estimates i've already seen those, i looked up old reviews but they didn't even put anything as old as the 6600k in the reviews so i'd probably have to test for my self.
or use critical thinking and deductive reasoning to realize that a 200mhz increase and slight boost to the apu = barely/slightly better. if you happen to have one or get one for really cheap use it but dont spend what people are asking for them, it'd be a waste of money.

or use critical thinking and deductive reasoning to realize that a 200mhz increase and slight boost to the apu = barely/slightly better. if you happen to have one or get one for really cheap use it but dont spend what people are asking for them, it'd be a waste of money.
architecture changes on the CPU and GPU side will also account for something. especially if the GPU side as any more cores. or are we making assumptions on pile driver vs Steamroller? Because i don't know a ton about that era after bulldozer struggled to top Phenom II

I don't love passmark but it's probably the best you are going to find for a direct comparison. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A8-6600K-APU-vs-AMD-A10-7890K/1946vs2744

As pendragon1 said it's only slightly better. The real kicker is it's still bellow most bulldozer or second gen desktop i5 cpus, which you can find dirt cheap on ebay.

I suspect there is a bigger performance increase on the GPU side of things if you are using onboard, but I'm still not sure it would worth while.
yeah that's why i was thinking of application specific. your wording makes me think steam roller might not have been more than mere stepping of piledriver? it's only curiosity, i may be getting a mobo, APU, ram combo for free but, was curious about an upgrade, ican't imagine it would be worth much than $27 to upgrade when i have stacks of i5 OptiPlex 3010's BUT, they have crap intel iGPU and with shortage and my current 3010 and it's 1050ti having seizures IDK? maybe it would be worth it for the iGPU for youtube and 2D games?

i wouldn't be surprised if either architecture could fight there way through a paper bag lol

architecture changes on the CPU and GPU side will also account for something. especially if the GPU side as any more cores. or are we making assumptions on pile driver vs Steamroller? Because i don't know a ton about that era after bulldozer struggled to top Phenom II
you dont know, you asked and i answered and now question everything ive said and provided?! figure it out then...

There weren't any significant IPC increases in the architecture between revisions. It was mostly tweaks to allow increased clocks, decrease idle power consumption, increase perf/W at lower power levels, and add more features and integration into the iGPU side.

A system like this would be ok for basic web use and maybe some light, older games. Just not worth putting money into unless you're like doing it for the curiosity / lulz

There weren't any significant IPC increases in the architecture between revisions. It was mostly tweaks to allow increased clocks, decrease idle power consumption, increase perf/W at lower power levels, and add more features and integration into the iGPU side.

A system like this would be ok for basic web use and maybe some light, older games. Just not worth putting money into unless you're like doing it for the curiosity / lulz
so then aside from any notable iGPU gains it's back to my original idea, B.E. CPU, might as well over clock it! i can't find much OC info on the 6600K though, can the iGPU be OCed? i got 1866mhz ram, IDK if those timings were tight for back then

https://www.newegg.com/hyperx-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820104461?Item=N82E16820104461

i just don't know where to get the AMD screws for the H80i, oddly enough build replacing this combo is keeping the H80i but, i have an old beat up one or maybe i'll take spare WC gear and beat up full size HTPC case and throw it gether while i wait for a cheap first gen ryzen to go in to this sapre B450. lol almost makes this stuff seem like eWaste doesn't it?

hey look what i found

the 7850k has
Integrated graphicsGPU Type: Radeon R7 series
Shader cores: 512
Base frequency (MHz): 720
The number of supported displays: 4
and the 6600K
Integrated graphicsGPU Type: Radeon HD 8570D
Shader cores: 256
Base frequency (MHz): 844

so i guess for under $20 it could be worth it but, also overclocking is probably a thing

I would think the 7890k would overclock slightly better as it starts with a lower TDP and is on a smaller process. How much better is debateable.

it's also an unlocked multi. sincei already have the 6600k i'm tempted to oc it and run some benches and then if i find a supercheap 7860k do the same and share results.

whats a good price on the 7860k? also are the newer ones like the 7860k more conducive with youtube? the 6600k tends to ramp hard at like 44% usage with youtube due to lack of a hardware decoder. nothing a cheap low end video card wouldn't fix but, also 2021-2023 chip shortage. hence my looking at the a10

i don't think my old hd4850 would have any h265 decoding. maybe my gtx 770 4gb? eh that's whole other barrel of monkeys.

Back