Far Cry 6

I had more fun with the game before I started playing out the story missions. When I first got to the mainland, I just went around clearing outposts, taking out aircraft guns, looting caches, etc. I thought that was honestly pretty fun. At least until the game stopped giving you useful stuff. The story missions are mostly doing those same things, but with additional restrictions and more annoying helicopters. Plus, like with most Far Cry games, things go from dead serious to over the top comedic at the drop of a hat.

With the way the game doles out rewards and makes most items/currency useless, I kinda wish the game had forced progression instead of Far Cry 5. That game benefitted from exploration more and it was generally more interesting. This one had no sense of urgency and that's probably what it needed.

I had more fun with the game before I started playing out the story missions. When I first got to the mainland, I just went around clearing outposts, taking out aircraft guns, looting caches, etc. I thought that was honestly pretty fun. At least until the game stopped giving you useful stuff. The story missions are mostly doing those same things, but with additional restrictions and more annoying helicopters. Plus, like with most Far Cry games, things go from dead serious to over the top comedic at the drop of a hat.

With the way the game doles out rewards and makes most items/currency useless, I kinda wish the game had forced progression instead of Far Cry 5. That game benefitted from exploration more and it was generally more interesting. This one had no sense of urgency and that's probably what it needed.

Same here. In a weird way I've almost played it like an Elder Scrolls game. Just go out, explore, and whatever happens happens. I've tended to do that with these and it works.

I finished this yesterday, the ending was pretty anti-climactic but overall it was an okay game. Now we get into the LiVe sErViCe crap with the weekly insurgencies. Good way to earn Moneda, I guess, but also why does the game need three currencies (four if you count uranium) in the first place?

why do AMD sponsored titles always have underwhelming ray-tracing features?...ray-traced shadows and reflections seem very basic...the Digital Foundry guys mentioned it as well...at least with Nvidia you get amazing RTX eye candy

why do AMD sponsored titles always have underwhelming ray-tracing features?...ray-traced shadows and reflections seem very basic...the Digital Foundry guys mentioned it as well...at least with Nvidia you get amazing RTX eye candy
Is this a genuine question LOL?

If I were to wager a guess it's because their current generation of video cards have half the ray tracing performance capability of their equivalent NVIDIA video cards and AMD want their own products to shine.

If I were to wager a guess it's because their current generation of video cards have half the ray tracing performance capability of their equivalent NVIDIA video cards and AMD want their own products to shine.
Even with the performance, nVidia cards struggle with modest raytracing features and often need DLSS to achieve decent frames.

Those without rose tinted glasses on knew the marketing of RTX was and will be hot air for a few generations when it came out. Lack of power and lack of adoption mean we won't see meaningful mass raytracing till probably 2026 or later.

Even with the performance, nVidia cards struggle with modest raytracing features and often need DLSS to achieve decent frames.

Those without rose tinted glasses on knew the marketing of RTX was and will be hot air for a few generations when it came out. Lack of power and lack of adoption mean we won't see meaningful mass raytracing till probably 2026 or later.
Doesn't deny the fact that current AMD cards are half as fast at ray tracing compared to NVIDIA cards.

Doesn't deny the fact that current AMD cards are half as fast at ray tracing compared to NVIDIA cards.
i am not, but if the card 2x as fast can only just do modest raytracing features, what hope does AMD have?

I don't see it much different when nvidia was behind on shader performance for a few generations. AMD will catch up eventually, they just don't have the design down to correctly support raytracing.

If 2/3 of the way through the game, it gave you a choice to join the government forces, I would in a heartbeat.

I would turn in poalo(?), Talia, and bicho in a heartbeat.

Ray tracing is tricky. It looks neat when you see a game that showcases it, but it comes at a pretty heavy performance cost. Developers have to weigh going all-in with it or treading lightly. If they go ham and most people are pulling 15fps and flooding their forums with "DON'T BUY THIS GAME IT IZ BROKE," that isn't a good PR move. If they go too light, then the hardcores will admonish them for not pushing things forward enough. Most devs tend to favor the later, though. It's pretty easy to explain that you were targeting performance/fps instead.

Is this a genuine question LOL?

just because AMD has inferior RT tech doesn't mean it can't make a graphics powerhouse using the tech...just like Crysis was made not with current gen GPU's in mind but 2-3 generations down the road...their implementation of ray-tracing is poor in relation to Nvidia...RE: Village and now FC6...hopefully they don't sponsor anymore big titles in the near future

just because AMD has inferior RT tech doesn't mean it can't make a graphics powerhouse using the tech...just like Crysis was made not with current gen GPU's in mind but 2-3 generations down the road...their implementation of ray-tracing is poor in relation to Nvidia...RE: Village and now FC6...hopefully they don't sponsor anymore big titles in the near future
I don't understand where you are going with this response?

Answer to your question: https://hardforum.com/threads/far-cry-6.1998759/post-1045190480

just because AMD has inferior RT tech doesn't mean it can't make a graphics powerhouse using the tech...
Because their hardware can't handle it, it's not a question of optimization, I think they just simply don't have the horsepower to do it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I have the .49 driver for RTX 3070 but the game just crash's to desktop and will not start .

Because their hardware can't handle it, it's not a question of optimization, I think they just simply don't have the horsepower to do it.
Framerates in Metro Exodus, Far Cry 6, with AMD hardware, are just fine. More recent games fair better. I believe its because they had AMD hardware earlier in the development process. But also, ray tracing is better understood, now.

Indeed, Nvidia RTX performance is sometimes 80 - 100 percent better. But, you can play Metro and Far cry at good settings/resolution, with AMD. I believe that is a question of optimization. Example: AMD's current Raytracing performance in Control, is about what Nvidia was, when Control released. Optimization is real and it has even benefitted Nvidia. And if Nvidia was ever considered playable at Control's release: Well, AMD then, is playable. And that said, Nvidia's stuff still struggles with Control in anything but 1080p.

I don't know about that, I had zero issues with Control maxed out at 1440p on my machine.
Uh huh. A 3080 is exactly when Nvidia can run control at 60fps average, in 1440p.

3070 and 2080ti are in the mid/low 40's. I consider that to be Nvidia still struggling. But it was obviously calculated to be that way, by Nvidia. The only Ampere cards which do better in RTX than Turing, are the two cards which offer higher performance in general rasterization, than Turing. 3080 and 3090. Nvidia boasted about improved RTX core performance----but then only gave the 3070, etc, enough RTX cores to match their Turing equivalents in performance. The 3070 matches a 2080ti in rasterization, but has less RTX cores. That improved core performance makes up the difference to only equal a 2080ti.

If you want better RTX performance than Turing, you have to buy a 3080 or 3090. IMO, they should have given all of the Ampere cards more cores, to boast improved RTX performance across the entire line. A 3070 should have been beating a 2080ti at RTX, etc.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3070-noctua-oc/33.html

We'll see how AMD's 2nd gen ray tracing fairs

Last edited:
Finally finish the game after getting stuck on that one mission where you can't raise any alarms or you fail the mission. What a trip at that ending, I enjoy edit very much and look forward the Vaas DLC coming on the 16h.

Airplane missions aren't too great for me. I'm going back and forth with KBM and a controller and it's going to come down to repeating and luck.

Airplane missions aren't too great for me. I'm going back and forth with KBM and a controller and it's going to come down to repeating and luck.

Luckily there aren't many. There are 2 story missions and maybe 4-5 optional races. I consider myself pretty good with a pad and I found them awkward, too.

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Buying the same game over and over again, expecting sh-t to change.
That. Is. Crazy.

The first time somebody told me that - I don't know. I thought they were BS'ing me. So I shot them. <shrug>
The thing is... he was right!
And then I started seeing it... everywhere I looked. Everywhere I looked, I saw people doing the exact same things. Over and over and over again. Thinking - this time, it is going to be different.

I actually enjoy the game, and because I'm not crazy, I knew it was going to be the same basic thing. Over and over and over again. Sometimes, a mindless escape is just fine.

I switced from a Radeon to an Nvidia card and game worked fine before the switch and then it didn't work anymore , had to uninstall the game and reinstall it with the updates and now it works fine .

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Buying the same game over and over again, expecting sh-t to change.
That. Is. Crazy.

The first time somebody told me that - I don't know. I thought they were BS'ing me. So I shot them. <shrug>
The thing is... he was right!
And then I started seeing it... everywhere I looked. Everywhere I looked, I saw people doing the exact same things. Over and over and over again. Thinking - this time, it is going to be different.

I actually enjoy the game, and because I'm not crazy, I knew it was going to be the same basic thing. Over and over and over again. Sometimes, a mindless escape is just fine.
paranoid bro

It does look very impressive in the few games that really committed to raytracing though. E.g. the effect in cyberpunk, metro exodus enhanced edition and control is quite signifcant on PC and turning it off feels like you have static lighting and turned reflections off (Metro exodus enhanced edition is RT only so comparison would be against standard edition).

The issue with adoption is that high end AMD and the higher end midrange cards from nvidia struggle with lots of raytracing. Only the 3090 and 3080 cards are capable of doing lots of raytracing at 1440p, but even then you will most likely have 40-60 fps average without DLSS. It will take 3080 RT performance at 350USD and about 2x 3090 performance in RT at the high end before we start too see quite a few more games that have impressive raytracing (most likely 1-2 generations of cards). Mass adoption of heavy raytracing features won't be until 1-2 years after the next generation of consoles have been released and they can do RT only games, like metro exodus enhanced edition. Games having a mix of baked and raytracing for lighting hurts the raytracing performance since the can't optimize for raytracing only.

For me the game stutters ever so briefly every time I pick up an item, it's weird.
Most times you pickup an item, the game saves. Watch the upper-right of the screen for the save icon notification. For me, every time the game saves, it stutters, otherwise it runs very well. I've never noticed this issue in past FC games and others are mentioning the save stutter on the FC6 support forum.

I abandoned the regular campaign and find the first DLC pretty entertaining (and a bit unfair, but aren't all roguelikes to a degree?).

I switced from a Radeon to an Nvidia card and game worked fine before the switch and then it didn't work anymore , had to uninstall the game and reinstall it with the updates and now it works fine .
Did you remove the AMD drivers when you switched?

Playing on a 10900K and a 3080ti @ 1440p. Was butter smooth the entire time. Yeah the game is more of the same but after the trainwreck that 5 was it was nice to have a story that I at least sorta cared about instead of a forced distraction every 30 minutes or so. Weapon customization was nice though once I found a setup that clicked with me I tended to feel overpowered and it just got worse from there. The M16S that you get pretty early with AP rounds, any decent optic and silencer is a lethal setup once you get headshots dialed in. The whole bullet type thing seemed like a pointless complication. Pretty much everything drops in 1 hit with AP rounds to the head. Add in something to handle tanks and you're set to the end. The ending was a little lame but fitting enough.

Back