Far Cry 5

New Dawn is OK, but it's very grindy. It at least finishes off the story from FC5, so I played it for that, but it felt like a chore.

I have Far Cry New Dawn but not this game the story in Far Cry New Dawn is good anyway.

New Dawn is OK, but it's very grindy. It at least finishes off the story from FC5, so I played it for that, but it felt like a chore.

Thanks. I'm going to skip it then. I want a fun game, not a chore.

Thanks. I'm going to skip it then. I want a fun game, not a chore.
Well the map was smaller, and the missions were mostly the same. It's basically Far Cry 5 2.0, so another cash grab. I still enjoyed it, but it appears the game franchise needs a huge reset.

Well the map was smaller, and the missions were mostly the same. It's basically Far Cry 5 2.0, so another cash grab. I still enjoyed it, but it appears the game franchise needs a huge reset.

Agreed after FC5.

I really enjoyed Primal, that is my favorite in the series. FC4 was fun, 3 had it's moments, and 2 did too. But Primal I couldn't put down.

Far Cry 5 IMO was the best PC game I’ve played in a long time. I couldn’t get thru more than a couple of hours of Primal before I totally lost interest in it. (I’m a big gun fan, Far Cry without guns felt retarded)

just goes to show everyone has a different idea of fun

I liked all the recent Far Cry games. I still have to finish Primal and New Dawn, but I thought 5 was great.

I'd have to say, Far Cry 3 was amazing if only for that super dark and NSFW ending. I liked the power leveling in FC3 also.

Last edited:
All of the Far Cry games except 5 were in "exotic" locations. Well, at least depending on how that's defined.
IMO, Far Cry needs the same type of overhaul Assassin's Creed got with Origins. Hopefully with the new consoles incoming that's the route they go.

Far Cry 5 was pretty awesome.

Graphics alone are top notch.

Soundtrack was grade A.

Action was over the top, but really? It's Farcry.

Plus the map editor? Best in game map editor/creator in any recent game. Worth $60 for just that.

And with the no limitation mod on the editor, you can build some serious shit.

Far Cry 6 is a [H]ard yes for me.

Last edited:
The only two I have actually finished are 1 and 2 and LOVED them. I am part way through 3 and should finish it. Was enjoying it a lot. I skipped 4 but have it... 5 and New Dawn played and liked a lot but 5 got a bit grindy so flipped to ND and ended up getting wrapped up in Apex during that.. ND is gorgeous and pretty fun.. I should go back and finish that one too.. As for 6 - I do love exotic settings, like where Just Cause 2 was set ( Panau ) with amazing water, reefs you can see under water, boats, little islands to visit an explore... etc.. idk.. sort of helps with the immersive feeling I am somewhere else. heh. I guess we will wait and see what they reveal.

All of the Far Cry games except 5 were in "exotic" locations. Well, at least depending on how that's defined.
IMO, Far Cry needs the same type of overhaul Assassin's Creed got with Origins. Hopefully with the new consoles incoming that's the route they go.

Agreed but not in the same way the Assassin's Creed went. I don't want it to become an RPG, stupidly long, and lots of grinding. New Dawn already introduced too much cookie cutter crap.

I'd like them to go back to a more serious theme and tone as seen with Far Cry 2. The overall plot idea and setting of 2 was great, just not executed great.

Im curious what it will be about, but I have only enjoyed the first one which is a far cry from what they became hah.

The third with the island or whatever had me interested and everyone raved about it but I was done after 10 minutes lol.

but I was done after 10 minutes lol.
10 minutes won't even get you through the first cut-scene and tutorial.

The game probably has at least 20 hours of content on a normal playthrough, and way more if you do all the side missions.

Should at least give it a fair chance, but I understand some people like different types of games.

The game probably has at least 20 hours of content on a normal playthrough, and way more if you do all the side missions.

Should at least give it a fair chance, but I understand some people like different types of games.

Plus coop with a friend. Which was pretty sweet. a buddy and I rolled the whole game together.

edit- misread him saying the third one. Meant FC5

Last edited:
Far Cry 6 = day one purchase

The series has just the right mix of shooting and open world exploration. You can agree with me, or you can be wrong.

I agree with that. They're not too long and not too big, but New Dawn did try to shove more fluff into it which I didn't like. 3/4/5 had a good amount of openness without overstaying its welcome. I fear FC6 will buck that trend and become 60-70 hours, a full RPG, and more unlocks/grinding. If I'm proven wrong I'll be happy.

My issue with Far Cry games is the "sandbox" game concept. My favorite I got the most enjoyment out of was actually Far Cry 1 because it was more story/adventure driven in comparison. I think the immersion is soooooo flat currently:

- We have these tons of minigames everywhere with these pre-defined rules/settings and we just get more and more of it every iteration
- The scaling always sucks, everything feels so crammed and every point of interest is so close to each other that you don't really get true feel of variety in landscapes and such, it was slightly better done in Far Cry 5 especially compared to 4 but yea. Take for example Kingdom Come Deliverance, probably the worldmap is significantly smaller I assume but it feels vastly larger again.
- It starts feeling too repetitive and grindy

"Less is more" I'd say would apply well here, would be cool to get a more adventourous less of a open-world sandboxy themed game with repetitive minigames scattered all over the place. It's becoming the Call of Duty of sandboxy open-world FPS game.

Last edited:
All of the Far Cry sequels are pretty long and I enjoyed them. My main complaint is that playing each new one is very much deja vu. They're too similar to one another and they haven't innovated enough for my tastes. They're still good games, but (like Assassin's Creed) there's going to be a point where I just don't want to play the same thing again.
I wouldn't mind a more linear game like the original and the Crysis games. You can still choose your approach via an open map, but there are levels are independent of one another. Some other options would be something more story-centric (a la GTA and RDR) or a full dive into the RPG genre rather than their current toe dip.

I'll say one thing I'd like to see is how the weapons handle. New Dawn made them weaker due to leveling so it felt like you were shooting a BB gun for most of the game. Recoil is very flat and lifeless to. They need to take a look at Modern Warfare and emulate that. IW did a good job at making one of the most flat and awkward recoil/handing mechanics of a modern FPS franchise and made something top of the line with the recent MW game. FC5/ND feels too much like the old CoD games from the mid 2000s. It just doesn't cut it anymore.

Totally get it and agree to your points. But seconds into intro I wanted to douche-bag bro's to get what was coming. Cruised through that. Skipping the yacking about how to do things rushed to the first base assault thing and just found it lacking and dull. Hating the characters and thinking they got what they deserved didnt help :) It was very pretty but I had no one else who owned it to try anything else with and with 5 or 10 dollars invested cut my loses. Was hoping it would be more interesting or exciting like the original Far Cry in a great location.

New Dawn was totally obligatory and unnecessary. I liked 5 but I agree with others that it's overdue for this series to possibly get a hiatus and an Assassins Creed Origins style "soft reboot."

I consider Far Cry to be in three eras:
  • FC1
  • FC2
  • FC3, Blood Dragon, FC4, FC Primal (4.5), FC5, FC ND (5.5)
Dunia has been amazing as an engine but there is this sense it's getting stale. The map editor was an amazing tool to give to players.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I consider Far Cry to be in three eras:
  • FC1
  • FC2
  • FC3, Blood Dragon, FC4, FC Primal (4.5), FC5, FC ND (5.5)
Dunia has been amazing as an engine but there is this sense it's getting stale. The map editor was an amazing tool to give to players.

That's a good way of putting it. I think it's past time for a "new era."

That's a good way of putting it. I think it's past time for a "new era."

<insert ubisoft franchise here> is past its prime.

At this point, I'd rather see Ubisoft start just remaking or remastering their earlier titles than I would like to see them keep making uninspiring sequels.

A (reasonably priced) remake of Far Cry would be a ton of fun.

Its a tough spot. I like the FarCry series, only one I havent played is Primal. I agree, the last 4 FC's are basically the same with minor story tweaks. Its trapped in the cycle like COD, Battlefield, Diablo, etc etc. Just constantly reskin the same principle for the loyal fans.

I'm not sure what they can add to the FC series that would really renew it without angering set expectations. Almost all game series more then 3 titles in suffer from this problem. A remake of FC1 is dangerous. FC1 was a shockwave to gamers when it released. Visuals, play style and etc. If not done perfectly, the fallout would be spectacular. Kinda like a Diablo 2 remake.

Its a tough spot. I like the FarCry series, only one I havent played is Primal. I agree, the last 4 FC's are basically the same with minor story tweaks. Its trapped in the cycle like COD, Battlefield, Diablo, etc etc. Just constantly reskin the same principle for the loyal fans.

I'm not sure what they can add to the FC series that would really renew it without angering set expectations. Almost all game series more then 3 titles in suffer from this problem. A remake of FC1 is dangerous. FC1 was a shockwave to gamers when it released. Visuals, play style and etc. If not done perfectly, the fallout would be spectacular. Kinda like a Diablo 2 remake.

Play Primal. It's my favorite one out of all the sequels (FC2 and beyond.)
FC5 was the worst of the series in my opinion. I'm going to wait for 6 to be near free before I play it, if it's anything like 5.

I feel like the team at BluePoint has shown the best way to do a remake. They're basically taking older games and jazzing up the visuals with almost no gameplay changes.
A Far Cry 1 with their style of treatment could absolutely work. The AI in the original isn't really much different from the subsequent games. The gameplay still holds up. As a pure shooter, it's probably better than the sequels.
Still, Ubisoft has Far Cry 6 incoming. A remake of the original is probably pretty low on their list of priorities.

Back