Fans Freak Out As Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Leaks Two Weeks Early

I mean there is something to what he's saying. It's one of the only Zelda games I never beat because the weapon breaking was stupid. Maybe I will pick it up again on an emulator where I can turn off the weapon breaking and enjoy the game.

I don't get this complaint, it's such a non issue in practice. The second I got the notice whatever was about to break, I just hurled it at the nearest enemies' face. Congrats you just picked up a new weapon.

It's like impossible to actually run out. They're everywhere.

It is a zelda game, and it is the best selling zelda game, so people are talking about it. Tears of the Kingdom is likely gonna be the biggest switch release and easily the biggest Zelda release ever.

You can try to rewrite history as much as you want in your own mind, but it doesn't change what actually occurred.
Being wrong isn't a democracy. You can say the same thing about Fifa and Maddem games as well. I'm not saying that BOTW was a horrible game, just that it certainly didn't deserve the $60 it asked for, plus the DLC's they added to the game. The purpose of Korok seeds and Shrines are to give you the illusion that there's more content in the game than there actually is. Shrines you get hearts where in previous Zelda games it was usually laid out throughout the world hidden. Korok seeds which are these micro games laid throughout are meant to increase inventory, which in previous Zelda games it was usually done with a purchase of a bigger bag or one single mini game. Which is made worse with breakable weapons that feel like they were made out of paper mache, so of course you stock piled on any weapon you could find because you went through them often. Rather than creating good unique weapons that you kept because of incomprebles, they instead just made breakable weapons. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that the Master Sword was great at killing bosses or unholy beings, while a fire sword is great in a ice dungeon and an ice sword is good at a fire dungeon. Or just remove the weapon system all together as it was just a copy of the same idea as Looter Shooters, or in this case looter swordems. So maybe have the Master Sword take on different forms like ice form or fire form. Point is a lot of design choices done in BOTW was to save on development time and to give players the illusion of an open world game full of content, when it really wasn't. It's not like the game has a unique story line or well done voice acting, as there wasn't any. It just wasn't worth $60.

Damn you spend a lot of time talking about and apparently researching on YouTube a game you don't think was worth the money or time.

Just play something else then. Seriously.

I loved the game and I haven't spent that many words on it.

Damn you spend a lot of time talking about and apparently researching on YouTube a game you don't think was worth the money or time.

Just play something else then. Seriously.

I loved the game and I haven't spent that many words on it.
I'm like #2 gamer in the world in a particular game, so I do spent a lot of time thinking about games.

OH5 (1).gif

Talk about timing. I just saw this today. Is Google reading my posts?

Reactions: MaZa
like this
I don't get this complaint, it's such a non issue in practice. The second I got the notice whatever was about to break, I just hurled it at the nearest enemies' face. Congrats you just picked up a new weapon.

It's like impossible to actually run out. They're everywhere.
yeah but grabbing a tree branch or a leg bone doesn't really cut when you run in to a gang of wizzrobes and moblins. heck i even played the first half according to the rules but eventually i just said screw it because you sometimes find some really cool weapons you end up wasting on chchu jellies then to end up going through a castle with rusty swords and broomsticks. i just finally clicked the unbreakable weapons thing and just seems it's a lot better or funner. hey i'm getting to be old man soon and already invested enough time as it is in this game to be going into the last castle with makeshift bows and weapons if you know what i mean.

(waiting for it now about) well you could have gone back to here and back to there and stock up on this and that, bla bla bla. and while i can see what they were trying to do and even get people to use more different weapons they wouldn't normally use was kind of cool in a way and a change up from the monotony. i hope they do find a compromise going forward, because i don't think i'm alone in this... who knows?

yeah but grabbing a tree branch or a leg bone doesn't really cut when you run in to a gang of wizzrobes and moblins. heck i even played the first half according to the rules but eventually i just said screw it because you sometimes find some really cool weapons you end up wasting on chchu jellies then to end up going through a castle with rusty swords and broomsticks. i just finally clicked the unbreakable weapons thing and just seems it's a lot better or funner. hey i'm getting to be old man soon and already invested enough time as it is in this game to be going into the last castle with makeshift bows and weapons if you know what i mean.

(waiting for it now about) well you could have gone back to here and back to there and stock up on this and that, bla bla bla. and while i can see what they were trying to do and even get people to use more different weapons they wouldn't normally use was kind of cool in a way and a change up from the monotony. i hope they do find a compromise going forward, because i don't think i'm alone in this... who knows?

I'm already pissed off by breaking weapons in TotK and I only made it to the first shrine.

My biggest issue with combat in ToTK is that because of fusing, weapons aren't breaking fast enough so I'm having to throw shit away when I need to fuse a stone hammer or something to bust through some rocks. Or when I'm fighting something stronger than my current equip so I can grab whatever they were holding, fuse it to the horn of the nearby monster I just killed and continue on my little murder spree.

I do want more inventory space. I ran into Hestu once, not sure where he's at next.

I'm already pissed off by breaking weapons in TotK and I only made it to the first shrine.

Fusing seems to make shit last way longer - in some cases WAY longer

Also amusingly sometimes enemies seem to show up with their own fused stuff? Saw a moblin with a double halberds... it was like 20 feet long and looked ridiculous.

Fusing seems to make shit last way longer - in some cases WAY longer

Also amusingly sometimes enemies seem to show up with their own fused stuff? Saw a moblin with a double halberds... it was like 20 feet long and looked ridiculous.

Fair enough. I haven't played around with fusing weapons yet (just haven't had time to play).

Fair enough. I haven't played around with fusing weapons yet (just haven't had time to play).
It does help a lot. Like fusing a rock to something seems to increase durability a lot. Fusing one weapon to another of the same makes the funny "double halberd" thing you saw which is hilarious and also fixes the durability of the one you fused it to. Then when it breaks, the one on the end breaks off and you can still use the first one, or re-fuse it to something else.

That said the weapon durability is still stupid and Nintendo shouldn't have included it. I have never played a game where I thought weapon durability, or more accurately fragility, added to the game. What they claim is it makes you try out new and fun weapons you wouldn't otherwise. What it does in reality seems to be one of two things:

1) You are like me, who worries about everything, so you farm and hoard good weapons "in case you need them" and then only use your weakest weapon all the time. Eventually you get fed up and grind through Trials of the Master Sword to get an (almost) unbreakable master sword and then never use anything else because it is super powerful.

2) You are like my girlfriend, who just uses whatever weapon she finds, at the time she finds it, with no regard for if it is the best in a situation and when it breaks, just move on to whatever is next in the inventory because she doesn't want to spend tons of time doing inventory management and thinking about shit, she wants to kill Bokoblins.

It actually makes combat less varied and fun because you don't feel like you can just try things out, you have to use what is on hand. My GF is still having tons of fun in the game, but it was 100% my biggest complaint about BOTW (second biggest was the lack of variety in the dungeons).

It does help a lot. Like fusing a rock to something seems to increase durability a lot. Fusing one weapon to another of the same makes the funny "double halberd" thing you saw which is hilarious and also fixes the durability of the one you fused it to. Then when it breaks, the one on the end breaks off and you can still use the first one, or re-fuse it to something else.

That said the weapon durability is still stupid and Nintendo shouldn't have included it. I have never played a game where I thought weapon durability, or more accurately fragility, added to the game. What they claim is it makes you try out new and fun weapons you wouldn't otherwise. What it does in reality seems to be one of two things:

1) You are like me, who worries about everything, so you farm and hoard good weapons "in case you need them" and then only use your weakest weapon all the time. Eventually you get fed up and grind through Trials of the Master Sword to get an (almost) unbreakable master sword and then never use anything else because it is super powerful.

2) You are like my girlfriend, who just uses whatever weapon she finds, at the time she finds it, with no regard for if it is the best in a situation and when it breaks, just move on to whatever is next in the inventory because she doesn't want to spend tons of time doing inventory management and thinking about shit, she wants to kill Bokoblins.

It actually makes combat less varied and fun because you don't feel like you can just try things out, you have to use what is on hand. My GF is still having tons of fun in the game, but it was 100% my biggest complaint about BOTW (second biggest was the lack of variety in the dungeons).
I'm guessing that it's impossible to maintain your weapon(s)? The more I read about BotW the more I dislike. It sounds like a gameplay funnel with the illusion of choices.

It sounds like a gameplay funnel with the illusion of choices.
You’re describing literally every game.

What you’re saying here is also why I hate Skyrim with a passion despite it being one of the best sold games of all time.

You can “do anything” in Skyrim in a sandbox the size of an ocean, but it’s only an inch deep.

There is still a gameplay loop in TotK. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that it's impossible to maintain your weapon(s)? The more I read about BotW the more I dislike. It sounds like a gameplay funnel with the illusion of choices.
As far as I know you can't. Now maybe there is something later in the game, but if it is like BOTW then no, there's no maintaining them. In BOTW the way it worked was everything would break, except for the master sword, which would timer-break meaning when you did too much with it, it went on timer before you could use it again. How fast depends on the weapon with some improvised weapons like enemy arms breaking after a couple hits up to tanky weapons that can do a few hundred. But they all break.

As I said it was my #1 complaint about BOTW, and it is back in Tears of the Kingdom. The only sort of maintenance thing in TOTK is fusing. When you fuse, durability is replenished, so if you fused two weapons together and then redid than every time the one of the end broke, you could in theory "maintain" your weapon. Realistically though no, you cycle through weapons all the time. I feel like the game would be much better off without it.

Back