Fans Freak Out As Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Leaks Two Weeks Early

You live in an insane upside down world.

I sincerely hope you do a job and instead of paying you ever for the rest of your life, they just say: "thank you, we are free to do with your work whatever we want. And in lieu of paying you, we'll tell you your work is garbage but we're still going to use it."
I do what I always do and buy the games I actually enjoy. With the return policy's games have, plus the need to own hardware that can be emulated on the Steam Deck, Nintendo can go sit on a lemon and twist.
I absolutely loved Breath of the Wild, but fuck no if I'm gonna waste my time to get all 900 korok seeds. (I got around 300). I stopped at 110 out of the 120 shrines. Does that mean that the game was awful? No, it means that I knew when I got tired of something so I quit before it turned into busywork.
Breath of the Wild was presented well and had fun unintended physics, but a lot of that game was designed to waste your time. The game was meant to have a grappling hook, but was removed when they realized players would move through the world faster and complete the game. Weapons break so again you would spend more time collecting weapons. The Korok seeds were a time sink to make you feel like you did something hard that wasn't actually hard. The Master Sword being useless unless you buy DLC was just an evil cash grab. The puzzle dungeons that give you hearts are just recycled with small differences. The actual real dungeons the Divine Beasts were only 4, and were optional since they only made the final boss easier, which was already an easy boss. The final boss gives you a weapon that is only meant to be used on the final boss, making all other weapons you've accumulated pointless. I just don't like games where I have to farm. Give me a difficult boss to kill and reward me for skill, not time spent.

I like some of their games, but their tactics and philosophy are just garbage. It does not make me want to give them money, ever.
Agreed on their general way, I lost interest in their games a long while ago. Fire Emblem was the last series of interest but that's gone off a cliff. I think the last time I bought anything new from Nintendo was a DS lite. Multiple saves corrupting and needing to send in the system for a warranty repair (should buttons failed) was enough to put me off buying new from them. Considering the rest only cements the decision.

I do what I always do and buy the games I actually enjoy. With the return policy's games have, plus the need to own hardware that can be emulated on the Steam Deck, Nintendo can go sit on a lemon and twist.
Then simply don’t play their games. Easy as. I don’t even understand what you’re discussing then or what your argument is.

Any argument about “pirating is okay” is foolishness at best however. Its all in an attempt to have your cake and eat it too, just justifications. If you don’t like a company: that’s what boycotting is for. Theft isn’t justified even for companies you have distaste for.

I honestly don't give a damn about Nintendo. None of their games interest me. I haven't played Tears of the Kingdom since the first night. I hated Breath of the Turd and it feels the same.

Last edited:
Breaking the street date and similar links have happened before and will happen again; I doubt its going to be more than an incidental issue if any and in fact will continue to add to the hype level for the game's release itself. Lets try to approach this reasonably.
Interesting thing is, Nintendo delayed the physical release for Age of Calamity, citing leaks. But they didn't do that, for ToTK.

IMO, they view Age of Calamity as a lower interest/lower selling product. And if it leaks, 'no one' would buy it.

However, ToTK is such a major release, they need to have it available Day 1 in both physical and digital, to maximize sales.
I honestly don't give a damn about Nintendo. Nine of their games interest me. I haven't played Tears of the Kingdom since the first night. I hated Breath of the Turd and it feels the same.
Nine games over a console generation from one developer brand, is a lot ;)

I honestly don't give a damn about Nintendo. Nine of their games interest me. I haven't played Tears of the Kingdom since the first night. I hated Breath of the Turd and it feels the same.
Nine? You must be quite a fan, buy the games already in exchange for the fun they gave you!

I absolutely loved Breath of the Wild, but fuck no if I'm gonna waste my time to get all 900 korok seeds. (I got around 300). I stopped at 110 out of the 120 shrines. Does that mean that the game was awful? No, it means that I knew when I got tired of something so I quit before it turned into busywork.

Breath of the Wild was presented well and had fun unintended physics, but a lot of that game was designed to waste your time. The game was meant to have a grappling hook, but was removed when they realized players would move through the world faster and complete the game. Weapons break so again you would spend more time collecting weapons. The Korok seeds were a time sink to make you feel like you did something hard that wasn't actually hard. The Master Sword being useless unless you buy DLC was just an evil cash grab. The puzzle dungeons that give you hearts are just recycled with small differences. The actual real dungeons the Divine Beasts were only 4, and were optional since they only made the final boss easier, which was already an easy boss. The final boss gives you a weapon that is only meant to be used on the final boss, making all other weapons you've accumulated pointless. I just don't like games where I have to farm. Give me a difficult boss to kill and reward me for skill, not time spent.
For what its worth, the Korok Seed bit was actually done pretty well I thought. You needed around 300 (and certainly no more than 500; been awhile) to unlock all the upgrades, but there were 900 so that you'd generally find your way to them since there were just so many - you were not intended to find them all. In fact, the reward for finding them all was just a
literal poop trophy
as a joke, so it wasn't like some great weapon or even fancy cosmetic was hidden behind them. Finding them all was purely for completionists who enjoyed the search

As for the rest of it, they made some controversial choices with weapons breaking and the like (I am unsure about the Master Sword DLC issue, as it was my understanding that even without DLC it was still not only usable and powerful but one of the few weapons that didn't truly "break", the DLC upgrades only made it even better) , but its my understanding that the other criticisms are being handled in Tears of the Kingdom (ie there are "real" dungeons, even more stuff to do etc.. everything people liked in BotW but also fixing some of the things some didn't. How well they'll do this we're yet to see (or at least I've yet to see).

Interesting thing is, Nintendo delayed the physical release for Age of Calamity, citing leaks. But they didn't do that, for ToTK.

IMO, they view Age of Calamity as a lower interest/lower selling product. And if it leaks, 'no one' would buy it.

However, ToTK is such a major release, they need to have it available Day 1 in both physical and digital, to maximize sales.

Nine games over a console generation from one developer brand, is a lot

Even Age of Calamity ended up selling very well considering it was a " Musou aka ____ Warriors " style spin off and on the Switch no less. The same turned out to be true of Fire Embem: Three Hopes which was a side story spinoff/alternate reality partner for Fire Emblem: Three Houses, both of which turned out to be some of the most well regarded "Musou" titles around. I think Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was, in the year of its launch, the best selling Musou game to date As for the leak, it was certainly a lower profile title compared to BotW though I am guessing that they didn't really fear that people wouldn't buy it, but rather it was a bit of an excuse for a delay, possibly for time to patch and fix issues? I remember reading that there were some framerate, stuttering, and similar issues with the early versions of the game improved greatly after the first patches. Then again, considering it as only a physical release delay and not a digital one, this would only serve to prevent the kind of leaks that came from cartridges breaking the street date. I agree that with such a high profile title as TotK, Nintendo wouldn't want to impede any physical purchases or pre-orders over fears of leaks from retail cartridges breaking street date. This was the right choice to make and I don't expect that even with the leak happening its going to have any measurable negative impact.

Last edited:
Then simply don’t play their games. Easy as. I don’t even understand what you’re discussing then or what your argument is.
The problem with games is that you never know when you find a gem. Cyberpunk2077 sounded good, until you play the side missions and figure out they pooped them out. Very different direction from Witcher 3 where the side missions was where the good gameplay was. I grew up on Nintendo and played a lot of Zelda games and loved most of them, not all of them, and so of course I gotta see if their new Zelda game was good. Also I do what I want.
Any argument about “pirating is okay” is foolishness at best however.
Not only it's not foolish, you should do it. There are so many occasions where piracy changed the industry for the better, mostly because they had no choice. You owe Netflix to piracy. You owe music costing $1 to piracy. You owe WoW classic to piracy. You owe Playstation and Xbox games being ported to PC because of piracy. You may not like to hear this but you have benefited from piracy, even if you don't want to admit it. Cause if you didn't, you'd pay $50 a move on Blu-Ray if the industry had their way. You'd pay $25 for a music CD but only care about that one song, and you can forget about ripping that onto a Mp3 player. You won't get WoW classic, because you think you do, but you don't. You'd also be playing God of War and Spiderman games on the Playstation 4/5, like a peasant.
SUVkd7g.jpg

Its all in an attempt to have your cake and eat it too, just justifications. If you don’t like a company: that’s what boycotting is for. Theft isn’t justified even for companies you have distaste for.
Yes, but also as a reminder copyright violations weren't criminal, at least in the 70's. Pepperidge farm remembers.

The problem with games is that you never know when you find a gem. Cyberpunk2077 sounded good, until you play the side missions and figure out they pooped them out. Very different direction from Witcher 3 where the side missions was where the good gameplay was. I grew up on Nintendo and played a lot of Zelda games and loved most of them, not all of them, and so of course I gotta see if their new Zelda game was good. Also I do what I want.

Not only it's not foolish, you should do it. There are so many occasions where piracy changed the industry for the better, mostly because they had no choice. You owe Netflix to piracy. You owe music costing $1 to piracy. You owe WoW classic to piracy. You owe Playstation and Xbox games being ported to PC because of piracy. You may not like to hear this but you have benefited from piracy, even if you don't want to admit it. Cause if you didn't, you'd pay $50 a move on Blu-Ray if the industry had their way. You'd pay $25 for a music CD but only care about that one song, and you can forget about ripping that onto a Mp3 player. You won't get WoW classic, because you think you do, but you don't. You'd also be playing God of War and Spiderman games on the Playstation 4/5, like a peasant.
View attachment 568158

Yes, but also as a reminder copyright violations weren't criminal, at least in the 70's. Pepperidge farm remembers.
Okay do what you want. And so will Nintendo. They have every right to protect the things they have produced and you have stolen.

I don’t want to hear any complaining from you when someone gets spanked for it. They got what they knew was coming.

Everything else in your post is spam, justifications, and absent of any moral value. You’re good with that? Fine. But you won’t convince me it’s okay.

But you won’t convince me it’s okay.

Fair enough. You can't convince me to care either way, especially with Nintendo when they were so hopped up on copy right crazy pills they were demanding a cut of youtuber's, streamers, let's play video makers etc. ad revenue because the games were their so called intellectual property. Don't have a few million to take on a corporation in US or your local courts over what constitutes a "transformative work", well quit making videos about Nintendo's content lest they sue you for for copyright violations. Possibly make it criminal too.

Three years before they killed it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ions-ends-revenue-splitting-for-video-makers/

That was sort of the cherry on top after the Wii U that meant I just didn't care about Nintendo games at all beyond occasional curiosity. I certainly wasn't going to keep playing the rebuy old games on each new platform they put out.

Fair enough. You can't convince me to care either way, especially with Nintendo when they were so hopped up on copy right crazy pills they were demanding a cut of youtuber's, streamers, let's play video makers etc. ad revenue because the games were their so called intellectual property. Don't have a few million to take on a corporation in US or your local courts over what constitutes a "transformative work", well quit making videos about Nintendo's content lest they sue you for for copyright violations. Possibly make it criminal too.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ions-ends-revenue-splitting-for-video-makers/

That was sort of the cherry on top after the Wii U that meant I just didn't care about Nintendo games at all beyond occasional curiosity. I certainly wasn't going to keep playing the rebuy old games on each new platform they put out.
A lot of the old titles Nintendo sells again with each new system should be public domain at this point. The copyright period has been stretched out past lunacy.

Shouldn't but they'll be self entitled and feel they should pirate the rom and enjoy the game for free on an emulator :rolleyes:.
I personally know plenty of people who purchase Nintenderp games to exclusively play on an emulator and because some of them actively contribute to emulator development.

Again, for those in the back: two wrongs don’t make a right. These are self justifications.

The proper method if you hate a company is boycotting and doing what you’re doing here: complaining in public spaces.

Okay do what you want. And so will Nintendo. They have every right to protect the things they have produced and you have stolen.

I don’t want to hear any complaining from you when someone gets spanked for it. They got what they knew was coming.
You missed the part where in the 70's copyright violations were a tort and not considered criminal. Now it's a different story but there was a reason why we didn't consider it criminal. Now the reason it lobbying.
Everything else in your post is spam, justifications, and absent of any moral value. You’re good with that? Fine. But you won’t convince me it’s okay.
You can keep the morals and the empty sack that goes with it.
44cc9277e51a4ce031c87f0ab2fe--deep-space-star-trek.jpg

You missed the part where in the 70's copyright violations were a tort and not considered criminal. Now it's a different story but there was a reason why we didn't consider it criminal. Now the reason it lobbying.

You can keep the morals and the empty sack that goes with it.
View attachment 568259
Again, I hope no one pays you for any work you do ever again. Just to make things fair.

This convo has run its course. It’s all just justifications and amoralism. Great we got it: you are explicitly okay with doing evil. I’m out. If you want the last word Duke (or anyone else), go for it.

Last edited:
Again, for those in the back: two wrongs don’t make a right. These are self justifications.

The proper method if you hate a company is boycotting and doing what you’re doing here: complaining in public spaces.
There are not enough people that feel this way to actually change anything. I compare majority Nintendo players to Apple users. Generally tech illiterate and happy sitting in their walled garden and scared to venture out. People that want more out of Nintendo are a very small minority.

Nintendo makes fun games, so I buy Nintendo Hardware to play Nintendo games.
My videocard cost more than the last 3 nintendo systems combined (yes, I have a Wii U) and I still play my Switch more than my PC.
Each Xenoblade game held my interest longer than any "modern" AAA FPS or Open World game has. I have more hours on Breath of the Wild than Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk, and I can play both with ray tracing.

Stop generalizing.

Also you've been saying the same argument for years. It's getting boring.

Again, I hope no one pays you for any work you do ever again. Just to make things fair.

This convo has run its course. It’s all just justifications and amoralism. Great we got it: you are explicitly okay with doing evil. I’m out. If you want the last word Duke (or anyone else), go for it.

Malum in se vs Malum prohibita.

Games and they way they're distributed and sold have change incredibly over the past 30 years... These companies have been nickel and diming us any chance they get. When users answer back and share the content... Oh no you're stealing... oh no you're immoral...

Taking money for broken or unfinished games and miniscule, generally worthless DLCs, predatory practices with loot boxes and quasi gambling targeted at mostly kids... what was that about morality?

I played TotK for less then an hour I don't care for it. Not worth $5 let alone $70 to me.
Good for you, but we both know you wouldn't have bought it even if you did like your pirated pre-launch copy... You'd have just kept playing ;). Please don't patronize us.

he will have a tough time living with a single income. At 30% wage garnishment: He would have to make $75,000, to keep $52500. Nintendo views this as duly avenged.
good luck ever making that much as a felon. dude's in for a rough life, or figuring out a way to make untaxable income.

Laughs in celebrating criminal conduct. :rolleyes:
Laughs in 🤷‍♂️
Ever stop to consider then, that you're in the wrong?
nope.
If Nintendo is “so garbage” then stop playing their games.
no. i will admit i did play breath of the wild, luckily i got to play it at 1080p/60 (and unbreakable weapons :D) vs console's 900p/up to 30 (720p undocked). i don't have children and i don't like 99.9% of the "made for kids" games that make up their library, don't like overpriced low performance hardware or playing games at 30fps, and i don't like nintendo's anti-consumer practices, so there was no way in hell i was/am going to go out and buy a console to play one game.

That being said, they weren't going to get the money from me anyway so they actually lost nothing. Same as if i would have borrowed the game from a friend or my cousin like we use to do when we were kids.

That being said, they weren't going to get the money from me anyway so they actually lost nothing. Same as if i would have borrowed the game from a friend or my cousin like we use to do when we were kids.
Sure - they lost nothing, but you gained something for nothing.

I am staunchly against piracy as theft.
I don't mind "piracy" (really a misnomer here) to get a better product (DRM-free, mod-friendly, unpatched, launcher-free etc) if one pays for the actual game first.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't even let you back up your save games or game downloads you bought when they shitcan their store so fuck them. Oh your console died after we closed the store for no reason? tough luck.

. I grew up on Nintendo and played a lot of Zelda games and loved most of them, not all of them, and so of course I gotta see if their new Zelda game was good.

Ok, then buy the cartridge, keep it if you like it, sell it if you don't. Easy peasy. Everyone seemed to like Animal Crossing but me, but I was able to pawn it off on a friend (who enjoyed it), so no big deal.

Sure - they lost nothing, but you gained something for nothing.
3 stooges logic works here.

I am staunchly against piracy as theft.
I don't mind "piracy" (really a misnomer here) to get a better product (DRM-free, mod-friendly, unpatched, launcher-free etc) if one pays for the actual game first.
One thing to note here is that Nintendo has always been against piracy and that has always backfired on them. Nintendo 64 came with cartridge instead of CD to avoid piracy. GameCube came with mini discs again to avoid DVD due to piracy. Wii used DVD and piracy happened, but also the Wii was really successful. WiiU nobody cared. Switch was not only hacked like within a year, but emulated as well, and the Switch is extremely successful. Piracy happened in ways Nintendo couldn't predict like Ultra HLE which turned the emulation world upside down. Nintendo was worried about piracy on their console, but didn't consider that it could be done on PC. Since the cartridges were much smaller and people mostly used 56K modems back then, downloading a N64 game at 8MB was much better than downloding FF7 at hundreds of megabytes. Wii emulation was done instantly because it's basically an upgraded GameCube. The Switch also suffers from this as the OS used on the Swtich is just a modded 3DS OS and the community hacked it to death.
Ok, then buy the cartridge, keep it if you like it, sell it if you don't. Easy peasy. Everyone seemed to like Animal Crossing but me, but I was able to pawn it off on a friend (who enjoyed it), so no big deal.
Of course, but nobody said when. Games are like cars in that they depreciate in value over time. The good thing about try now and buy later is that it doesn't have to be at $60 or $70. I don't consider Breath of the Wild a game worth buying. I haven't seen reviews of Tears of the Kingdom, so I don't know if Nintendo fixed the problems from BOTW. A grappling hook would be perfect for the game, instead of forcing me to climb walls to get around, which is just wasting my time. It was going to be included in the game, and I figured this out when I traveled to fire mountain and saw these markings and Google'd only to find that this was for the hook shot and Nintendo was too lazy to remove them when they decided to remove it. The lack of dungeons to explore was also bad game design, as I just ran around the world expecting it to be like Skyrim and accidentally find a side quest that was amazing. Waste of an open world. Put actual side quests with real rewards into the game. No more broken weapons. PC's modded that shit out of BOTW and it's great. Don't fuck with the Master Sword. It had better be in TOTK and it better be the most OP weapon in the game, because if it isn't then it'll be DLC and Nintendo can go fuck themselves.

The amount of people who think they know better than Nintendo, who has been around for over 125 years and is one of the most popular and largest companies in the world... Always amuses me.

Get over yourself.

The amount of people who think they know better than Nintendo, who has been around for over 125 years and is one of the most popular and largest companies in the world... Always amuses me.

Get over yourself.

Why did certain individuals choose to modify Breath of the Wild without official approval from Nintendo?

Because they did not want to be part of the herd enjoying the game only one way!

Garbage jokes aside, the community modded VR is leaps and bounds ahead of Nintendo's Labo crap.

Nintendo doesn't even let you back up your save games or game downloads you bought when they shitcan their store so fuck them. Oh your console died after we closed the store for no reason? tough luck.

Nintendo's handling of saves left me very frustrated. Having to start all over again because Nintendo coudln't handled save games correctly... Was perplexing. Furthermore, tt struck me as odd since online services were far from new at the time, and I was playing from a cartridge.... Which left me even more lost on why it was only saved on the system in a non-trasnferable state. But I should never question or act like I know more than Nintendo, I should enjoy that I have the privilege... No the honor to start over completely without questioning why.

Either way, I don't have that issue on my Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Nintendo makes fun games, so I buy Nintendo Hardware to play Nintendo games.
My videocard cost more than the last 3 nintendo systems combined (yes, I have a Wii U) and I still play my Switch more than my PC.
Each Xenoblade game held my interest longer than any "modern" AAA FPS or Open World game has. I have more hours on Breath of the Wild than Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk, and I can play both with ray tracing.

Stop generalizing.

Also you've been saying the same argument for years. It's getting boring.

Frankly it boggles my mind why he is not on more ignore lists. Like everytime I parse through the threads it seems like he is being replied to by the same people always arguing over the same things when he has been proven wrong countless times.

On topic, pirating games is one thing but when you own a lot of titles on a platform and an emulator comes out that allows 4k60 (or 120) with possible mods it’s very hard not to experience that. I own BotW for Wii U and after trying out the CEMU version it’s ridiculous to think anyone would play it any other way.

I’m not sure where Switch emulation is but it sucked a year ago. I’m assuming it’ll skyrocket after the 12th like what happened with CEMU and BOTW.

Get over yourself.
If Breath of the Wild wasn't a Zelda game, we wouldn't be talking about it. It's very hard to criticize nostalgia franchises like Zelda, because a lot of people love these games to death. Take away the Zelda name and it's an open world game that's devoid of content with copy and paste quests that have four major dungeons to explore. Indie developers have put more effort into their games than Breath of the Wild. If it wasn't for the physics then it would be just another Zelda game with an annoying weapons breaking system.

Egoraptor also had similar valid criticism over Zelda Ocarina of time. As a gamer you should recognize that game designers will take shortcuts in tricking you. Wasting your time is a huge problem with modern games, because it's an easy way to make the gamer think they did something difficult, when in reality they confused difficulty with time invested. This is why people hate Ubisoft games, because they exploit this to the Nth degree. Just because Nintendo made the game doesn't mean they made a good game.

It is a zelda game, and it is the best selling zelda game, so people are talking about it. Tears of the Kingdom is likely gonna be the biggest switch release and easily the biggest Zelda release ever.

You can try to rewrite history as much as you want in your own mind, but it doesn't change what actually occurred.

I have no problem with buying the game and then enjoying the ROM on an emulator since you can actually bump the performance to playable levels.
That's one of the few things I'd find acceptable, actually. So long as you buy it when you're playing it, and not 5 years later on clearance :p.

Last edited:
It is a zelda game, and it is the best selling zelda game, so people are talking about it. Tears of the Kingdom is likely gonna be the biggest switch release and easily the biggest Zelda release ever.

You can try to rewrite history as much as you want in your own mind, but it doesn't change what actually occurred.

I mean there is something to what he's saying. It's one of the only Zelda games I never beat because the weapon breaking was stupid. Maybe I will pick it up again on an emulator where I can turn off the weapon breaking and enjoy the game.

Back