Fan control software?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
So I haven't had to do this in ~forever~, and I apparently am totally out of date. Need to control 3 fans that are hooked to the motherboard headers, and the motherboard native software (SIV from Gigabyte) simply refuses to run now. Most of mine are attached to a commander pro (it's a corsair open loop setup) and work off res. water temp - fine. The other 3 are attached to the motherboard, and the CPU temp spikes / fan spikes are driving me nuts (especially since they're fresh-air intakes and have almost no impact on cooling given the setup of the system). Short of locking them in BIOS, that is - which I've been trying to avoid doing, since it's generally one game that makes the CPU run "hot" (meh, it's not, and again - those fans don't touch the CPU temp).

EasyTune also won't run (bah gigabyte). What else is out there? SpeedFan hasn't been updated since 2016 and doesn't recognize my headers...

what about icue, does it see your board fan headers? no custom curves in bios?

So I haven't had to do this in ~forever~, and I apparently am totally out of date. Need to control 3 fans that are hooked to the motherboard headers, and the motherboard native software (SIV from Gigabyte) simply refuses to run now. Most of mine are attached to a commander pro (it's a corsair open loop setup) and work off res. water temp - fine. The other 3 are attached to the motherboard, and the CPU temp spikes / fan spikes are driving me nuts (especially since they're fresh-air intakes and have almost no impact on cooling given the setup of the system). Short of locking them in BIOS, that is - which I've been trying to avoid doing, since it's generally one game that makes the CPU run "hot" (meh, it's not, and again - those fans don't touch the CPU temp).

EasyTune also won't run (bah gigabyte). What else is out there? SpeedFan hasn't been updated since 2016 and doesn't recognize my headers...
I’d vote you should figure out why the gigabyte fan software isn’t working properly. Finding an alternative that works consistently and stable may be more challenging than you think.

Locking down a curve in bios tho shouldn’t be a big deal. If it were me I’d tailor it to whatever stresses your cpu the most. That way no matter what it will not be running hot. Less stressing software and games would be safe also.

But the easiest way unfortunately will be figuring out what is going on with the gigabyte software.

Ive been using speedfan forever. works really well.

EDIT - Just read the part about it not recognizing your headers.......you may have a bigger issue here.

Ive been using speedfan forever. works really well.

EDIT - Just read the part about it not recognizing your headers.......you may have a bigger issue here.
It’s really weird. None of the fan tools run; I’m curious if iCue is the issue there. And the others not seeing the headers. Ah well. I just set it in bios for now. Does what I need. Max water temp is 38c now, and load temp on the cpu maxes at 75c for anything hard.

Gigabyte motherboards are known for having lots of faulty components. Same thing with their power supplies and graphics cards. Try an Asus brand board or an Aquacomputer Aquero fan controller.

I'd love to see your "proof" of this assertion, especially regarding motherboards. There are tons of people on this board alone running Gigabyte motherboards with few or no issues (since the cold boot problem seems to have been solved) who would disagree.

I'm not going to defend Gigabyte software since almost all software from motherboard manufacturers is pure crap. However, I'm not also going to overlook all the problems iCue software has. There have been tons of posts about that software being shit and even when it works it tends to interfere with other software, especially if the other software has similar features.

Personally, I'd set the fan curves in BIOS and leave it at that. Even if I didn't leave my fans running 100% all the time I wouldn't use anything running on top of the OS for control of fans. Too much of the software tends to be buggy and doesn't play well with other software. BIOS is also better since it doesn't care what OS is running if any.

Gigabyte motherboards are known for having lots of faulty components. Same thing with their power supplies and graphics cards. Try an Asus brand board or an Aquacomputer Aquero fan controller.
You say that, and a year ago I'd have agreed - but I've got two wonky Asus boards (including a Zenith II Extreme Alpha - freaking $800 board) acting up. I'm not a huge fan of their AMD boards (They like to push the edges of the spec, which AMD likes a lot less than intel in my experience), but right now they're very solid.

SmokeRings makes a good point - once set in bios, always set. Even if I have to wipe the system. I'll keep iCue since it controls the pump/etc, but the rest - bios.

I have always had a problem setting fan control in the bios on my x570 master. No matter how I setup the fan profile the fans would constantly ramp up and down just doing web browsing or YouTube. It would randomly do it when just idle. While gaming or any heavy load they stay at a consistent speed but still way higher then what I set my profile. I just use the Lian Li L-Connect to control the fans manually when I changed the fans out to unifans.

Back