Fallout 4

So a little bump here.

Played FO3 for quite a bit. I got pretty far into it. Then I got hammered CTDs. I couldn't go 5m without it crashing. Sucks, because I was having a decent time with it. What's the story on FO4? I hear mixed things about the game being buggy. I read thing about people asking if the game still has issues, and they get laughed at for "asking a stupid question". So I'm guessing that's still the case? Or do the above patches do a decent job cleaning everything up?
Sounds like you got hit with the multi-core bug, this should fix your issue.

Open your Documents folder, and inside, look for a folder called My Games. Inside should be a folder called Fallout3. Open this.
  • In this folder, open the file FALLOUT.ini with Notepad. Make sure the file is not read-only.
  • In the configuration file, search for the header called [General]. It will be at the very top of the file.
  • Go to the bottom of the [General] section, just before the [Display] header. The last line of the section should be sLanguage=ENGLISH, or whatever your language is.
  • Below this line, copy and paste the following two lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1
    iNumHWThreads=2

• Save your changes.
This will work for New Vegas as well.

What's the story on FO4?
IMHO it lacks the motivation the other games give you.

The game intends for you to be driven to find \ save someone that you spent about a whopping 30 seconds of gameplay with. I pretty much gave 0 f***s, and set out to explore the world.

At least in FO3 you get to know the person you are supposed to save for a few hours of gameplay. In FONV you are motivated by good old fashioned revenge.

There are still plenty of fun things to find and do all over the map, even if you ignore the main quest line.

The game intends for you to be driven to find \ save someone that you spent about a whopping 30 seconds of gameplay with. I pretty much gave 0 f***s, and set out to explore the world.

At least in FO3 you get to know the person you are supposed to save for a few hours of gameplay. In FONV you are motivated by good old fashioned revenge.

There are still plenty of fun things to find and do all over the map, even if you ignore the main quest line.
That's the thing that I'm 50/50 on. Not the biggest fan on full story modes. I don't mind sandbox-type games that I can kind of float around in. Explore on my own. FO3, from what I recall, was a bit like that. I was able to wander around and check things out. Do the storyline when I felt like it. In FO3 I stumbled across some spaceship thing and was abducted or something. Totally weird. But I enjoyed it. It wasn't 10m after that, the game went kaput. But from what I recall, I liked that experience.

Just been poking around for another game to get into. Path of Exile fades in and out. Renewed my Warcraft account, meh. Factorio turned into a job. Witcher 3 didn't stick at all. FO4 seems to have some aspects I may enjoy. Kind of in burnout mode right now I think.

That's the thing that I'm 50/50 on. Not the biggest fan on full story modes. I don't mind sandbox-type games that I can kind of float around in. Explore on my own. FO3, from what I recall, was a bit like that.
You would probably like FO4 then. It does allow you to ignore the main quest line.

Some of the settlement management can be a bit tedious, but you could ignore that as well.

So a little bump here.

Played FO3 for quite a bit. I got pretty far into it. Then I got hammered CTDs. I couldn't go 5m without it crashing. Sucks, because I was having a decent time with it. What's the story on FO4? I hear mixed things about the game being buggy. I read thing about people asking if the game still has issues, and they get laughed at for "asking a stupid question". So I'm guessing that's still the case? Or do the above patches do a decent job cleaning everything up?
For me most of the fun with 4 came with mods. Base is ok but the modding really helped made things better. Never had many stability issues with it myself.

For me most of the fun with 4 came with mods. Base is ok but the modding really helped made things better. Never had many stability issues with it myself.
mmk. I'll grab it then. Looks like $60 for GOTY edition on Steam. CDKeys.com has it for $10 though... ¬.¬

FO4 is... ok. I dunno, I still vastly prefer New Vegas over it, but I do enjoy making a settlement a little bit. Its just not quite what I want in settlement building, so it doesnt quite scratch the itch.

If you had to pick between FO 4 and FO 76, Id take 76.

I didn't mind that part so much - because the ending irritates me moreso

The fact that you eventually have to choose between which faction you want to side with, versus the rest is total bs.

You mentioned about saving someone after only being with them for some 30 seconds, well, I spent dozens of hours with each faction, and then to have us pick and choose which one to fight for at the end of the story missions??? Is when I washed my hands with the game.

Game all loaded up and running. I tried getting all the patches figured out before I even started the game. Spent like 30m with it. Said screw it, loaded up the game. Boom, there's the list of mods built right into the game to download. XD

Only played for an hour. But its nice to return to just walking around and picking houses apart for stuff. Built a handgun with some parts, that was neat. Looking forward to building more guns. I've barely just left the vault. Looking forward to wandering around to find things and explore. Kind of refreshing.

I need to figure out the password things on computers. I've only found one PC so far, and I locked it out. I know its something with the letters and how many of them are correct. I recall I couldn't figure it out in FO3.

Game all loaded up and running. I tried getting all the patches figured out before I even started the game. Spent like 30m with it. Said screw it, loaded up the game. Boom, there's the list of mods built right into the game to download. XD

Only played for an hour. But its nice to return to just walking around and picking houses apart for stuff. Built a handgun with some parts, that was neat. Looking forward to building more guns. I've barely just left the vault. Looking forward to wandering around to find things and explore. Kind of refreshing.

I need to figure out the password things on computers. I've only found one PC so far, and I locked it out. I know its something with the letters and how many of them are correct. I recall I couldn't figure it out in FO3.

I believe if you have vsync off, it could cause the interface to break on you.

If you just want to know the computer trick

they tell you how many letters in the word you picked match the password. if you select another word with like letters, this can yield clues about WHICH of the letters you got correct..

You can also toss-out any other potential matches that don't at-least match on ""how ever many letters" you last guess matched on (even zero matched can help you with that)

One final trick:you can quit before you run out of guesses, and the puzzle resets (it's a new word, but you get your guesses restored)

sorry, the [hide] bb code does not work.[

Last edited:
Grab some hot chocolate and a warm blanket, it's a long one.

I can, without watching the video, concur with the title on the splash image.

I decided to pull this back off the pile a couple weeks ago and am making steady progress. During and after playing I've been comparing it to the other FO games and it is, by far, the best FPS mechanics in any of the recent 3 games. It is second or third worst in terms of actual Role Playing a character. The only recent game that comes close to the first two in terms of RP is FO:NV. In FO4 questlines don't do a great job with branching or even being compelling. The story and writing are a mess ranging from "I don't give a crap" to "this is tonally nonsense" to just "this is nonsense." The world also seems to suffer badly from adhering too closely to the Rule of Cool and not following any sort of coherence.

Will I finish it? Yes, I'm just chasing the quest markers and enjoying the scenery. I hated the switch to FPS in FO3 which was a bad shooter and a mediocre RPG. FO:NV raised my hopes for the latter and Bethesda's entry shows me they just don't understand the core IP. I would mind less if they had just not used the FO name.

I can, without watching the video, concur with the title on the splash image.

I decided to pull this back off the pile a couple weeks ago and am making steady progress. During and after playing I've been comparing it to the other FO games and it is, by far, the best FPS mechanics in any of the recent 3 games. It is second or third worst in terms of actual Role Playing a character. The only recent game that comes close to the first two in terms of RP is FO:NV. In FO4 questlines don't do a great job with branching or even being compelling. The story and writing are a mess ranging from "I don't give a crap" to "this is tonally nonsense" to just "this is nonsense." The world also seems to suffer badly from adhering too closely to the Rule of Cool and not following any sort of coherence.

Will I finish it? Yes, I'm just chasing the quest markers and enjoying the scenery. I hated the switch to FPS in FO3 which was a bad shooter and a mediocre RPG. FO:NV raised my hopes for the latter and Bethesda's entry shows me they just don't understand the core IP. I would mind less if they had just not used the FO name.

I definitely enjoy Fallout 4 -- with extensive modding ;D
On a side note, the art direction in 4 seems a LOT worse than 3, or even F:NV (despite being the technically superior game). Quests aren't as immersive as in either 3 or NV.
FPS elements in 4 (as you mentioned) are the best out of the 3 games.

I just wrapped the game and, yikes, what a clunker of an ending(s) compared to the high water marks in RP focused Fallout games. They actually managed to diminish the entirety of the experience up to that point by locking you into very rigid sequences of events.

I just wrapped the game and, yikes, what a clunker of an ending(s) compared to the high water marks in RP focused Fallout games. They actually managed to diminish the entirety of the experience up to that point by locking you into very rigid sequences of events.
Which ending? Like any decent RPG, there are several *cough cough*.

The discovery of what happened to Sean blew my mind back in 2015. But I totally didn't see it coming and apparently everyone else did. The writing is weak, lack of dialog/choices sucks, buy it's still one of my favorite games of all time only because I had a lot of fun with everything else in the game.

This was the Institute/Railroad set of endings. It’s an RPG and all dialog options lock you into the faction choice with no wiggle room and no exploration of themes, opportunities, betrayal, except for the briefest of lines from Father in the Railroad choice.

An impressive underground explosion effect does not paper over the fundamental weakness of the quests and writing, cool as it may have been. Resolving it in the Institute's favor was even less impressive as you just casually murder these folks.

I also found the plot twist to be poorly executed and it marked the game careening off the main storyline cliff from that point on.

Could not have said it better ... Fallout 4 had some amazing side quests....then the main story is just blah like they ran out of time or money or something..

Also the power armor changes were very lore breaking... It went from being scarce to literally finding it everywhere being limited by battery usage

I copy and pasted this from another thread to see if I can get some answers.

Playing a 800 -1000hr+mods play thru of FO4 again for the umpteenth time. First time playing it with my 2060 and Steam, had to disable weapon debris to stop the constant CTD's, plays great now.

Anybody know if I was to install FO4SE or anything else from Nexus, if that would disable achievements in Steam? Just wondering since my son lost his after getting a Creation Club pip-boy mod with only 3hrs on the clock. I've used all matter of console commands and bat files and still have achievements enabled. I would like to know before I go ape shit with mods and find out too late.

I copy and pasted this from another thread to see if I can get some answers.

Playing a 800 -1000hr+mods play thru of FO4 again for the umpteenth time. First time playing it with my 2060 and Steam, had to disable weapon debris to stop the constant CTD's, plays great now.

Anybody know if I was to install FO4SE or anything else from Nexus, if that would disable achievements in Steam? Just wondering since my son lost his after getting a Creation Club pip-boy mod with only 3hrs on the clock. I've used all matter of console commands and bat files and still have achievements enabled. I would like to know before I go ape shit with mods and find out too late.

When you install F4SE, also install this one and achievements will remain and continue.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465

Right on, that's what I've been looking for. I also found one that doesn't require F4SE, https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15639 , it should help my son's.

F4SE allows for a greater pool of mods to be loaded. I have 131 mods loaded for FO4 and not a single crash with achievements enabled. Not a big concern nowadays since I've completed achievements long ago. :D

But hey, we all play to our preference. :)

F4SE allows for a greater pool of mods to be loaded. I have 131 mods loaded for FO4 and not a single crash with achievements enabled. Not a big concern nowadays since I've completed achievements long ago. :D

But hey, we all play to our preference. :)
Yeah F4SE is a must for me, I routinely go over 180+ till I break something, but my son isn't too much into the mods, he rather play lightly modded and most of his fav mods don't require F4SE. And since this is the first time I'm playing it on Steam, I want to 100% the achievements my first time through.

R.I.P. River aka Fallout 4's "Dogmeat."
https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1409013849584504833

1624807113791.png

Fallout 4 Free Next-Gen update coming in 2023 (X|S, PS5, PC)

A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!...

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...itter&utm_content=7988139435&linkId=186833045

What's this going to do to all the mods out there? Non-cc.
As far as the script extender goes, I'm sure Bethesda is working with that author to make sure it will work like they did with the Skyrim Anniversary Edition.

F4SE notwithstanding, what about the myriad other mods that depend on regular scripts. I'm on a couple of discord forums and they're not happy at what's likely to happen. Not every mod (cc excluded, maybe) that Beth will work with. It's looking like there will have to be an "oldFO4" and "newFO4" install. Script heavy mods like SS2 don't use f4se, and that is one of the reasons I still have FO4 installed and playing.

F4SE notwithstanding, what about the myriad other mods that depend on regular scripts. I'm on a couple of discord forums and they're not happy at what's likely to happen. Not every mod (cc excluded, maybe) that Beth will work with. It's looking like there will have to be an "oldFO4" and "newFO4" install. Script heavy mods like SS2 don't use f4se, and that is one of the reasons I still have FO4 installed and playing.
Don't see why anything would change. The built-in scripting for prior games were never broken whenever there was an update. Workshop Framework doesn't rely on specific memory addresses.

Set Steam options to Only update this game when I launch it and run the script extender executable. The update will never be installed and you can continue on playing as normal.

Fallout 4 Free Next-Gen update coming in 2023 (X|S, PS5, PC)

A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!...

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...itter&utm_content=7988139435&linkId=186833045

I really enjoyed the Fallout series, I haven’t played them all but I enjoyed them. Got a PS5 recently, haven’t gamed in years (years and years), is there anything I need to do to get this update? I have the PS game pass and Fallout 4 was one of the “free” games.

I only use FO4SE to run a mod that fixes physics over 60FPS. I'll be surprised if they fix that on PC without just capping the framerate at 60FPS.

I really enjoyed the Fallout series, I haven’t played them all but I enjoyed them. Got a PS5 recently, haven’t gamed in years (years and years), is there anything I need to do to get this update? I have the PS game pass and Fallout 4 was one of the “free” games.

the update is only coming in 2023...since the update is free you don't need to do anything except wait for it to be released...but something to keep in mind: the games you get as part of PlayStation Plus are only yours while you keep the subscription active...if you cancel it then you lose access to those games

Reactions: Liver
like this
That's the thing that I'm 50/50 on. Not the biggest fan on full story modes. I don't mind sandbox-type games that I can kind of float around in. Explore on my own. FO3, from what I recall, was a bit like that. I was able to wander around and check things out. Do the storyline when I felt like it. In FO3 I stumbled across some spaceship thing and was abducted or something. Totally weird. But I enjoyed it. It wasn't 10m after that, the game went kaput. But from what I recall, I liked that experience.

Just been poking around for another game to get into. Path of Exile fades in and out. Renewed my Warcraft account, meh. Factorio turned into a job. Witcher 3 didn't stick at all. FO4 seems to have some aspects I may enjoy. Kind of in burnout mode right now I think.
Here you on trying to find something. I go way back to the Doom 1 and Ultima Online era gaming, starting with Doom 1. We had to write a bat file to start the game on boot, since it was a DOS game. lol. First game, I think, to offer IP to IP 1 vs 1 play too. Lots of fun.

I played Far Cry (original) and it was really fun. You could explore somewhat, but the story line was good too. The next versions of Far Cry reminded me of an MMO without any people and it was lonely and boring just ding tasks over and over again.

I remember playing Fallout original way back, and I thought it was really cool, but again, especially in the space ship part. But once I got outside, it was, again, like an MMO sandbox with no one to play with. I've never been really hot on single player, but I did enjoy the entire Crysis series up until 2012, since I haven't played then since. I also enjoyed the Half Life series up to about the 3rd one, which got boring trying to advance. Just repetitive crap that turned me off. Here are some I really liked play single, but I doubt they work anymore on modern machines.

F.E.A.R
Half Life up to I think the 3rd one
Max Payne
Crysis
Far Cry 1
Metro 2033
Call of Duty Series, again up to 2012
Another one I cannot remember but it had a drop ship where you would always start your talks with a computer talking to you. You would get your load out, and then drop onto a planet. If anyone remembers it, it was really fun.

I too am looking for a new single player game.

Back