Failed to retrieve share list from server

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Google the above term and you get over 20,000,000 hits. :(

I've tried in vane to find an answer. Problem is I won't live long enough to try all the solutions Google presents.

There are at least 20 billion OPINIONS out there but as far as I can determine, there are zero answers. Nobody seems to know but a lot of people are willing to venture a guess.

In fact, nobody seems to know exactly what this fucking term means.

Linux networking sucks unwashed ass and is a disgrace.

Thanks for reading. I feel better now but still no Linux networking.

PS: On a related note, I can't get Remmina to connect to a Linux machine either but it will connect to a Windows machine flawlessly.

Google the above term and you get over 20,000,000 hits. :(

I've tried in vane to find an answer. Problem is I won't live long enough to try all the solutions Google presents.

There are at least 20 billion OPINIONS out there but as far as I can determine, there are zero answers. Nobody seems to know but a lot of people are willing to venture a guess.

In fact, nobody seems to know exactly what this fucking term means.

Linux networking sucks unwashed ass and is a disgrace.

Thanks for reading. I feel better now but still no Linux networking.

PS: On a related note, I can't get Remmina to connect to a Linux machine either but it will connect to a Windows machine flawlessly.
If you mean you can't list Windows shares, it's because Windows stopped supporting SMB v1 and 2. Linux has support only for SMB v1 by default but it can be configured to use SMB v3: https://superuser.com/questions/1226973/how-to-force-linux-cifs-mount-to-default-to-smb3

Remmina requires you to have some sort of sharing set up on linux. Linux doesn't have a shitload of services and attack surfaces open by default like Windows does. You have to set up vnc / ssh first.

If you mean you can't list Windows shares, it's because Windows stopped supporting SMB v1 and 2. Linux has support only for SMB v1 by default but it can be configured to use SMB v3: https://superuser.com/questions/1226973/how-to-force-linux-cifs-mount-to-default-to-smb3

Remmina requires you to have some sort of sharing set up on linux. Linux doesn't have a shitload of services and attack surfaces open by default like Windows does. You have to set up vnc / ssh first.

Thanks. On the remote desktop side I'm trying to connect from one Linux box to another.

I find it strange that Remmina, a Linux program will connect to a Windows box with ease and without any extra steps beyond giving it the IP address and login credentials. Not so when connecting to another Linux box. There are 3 choices - RDP, SFTF and SSH. RDP I understand but the other 2 are clear as mud. I want to remote into a Linux box the same as I remote into a Windows box.

Thanks. On the remote desktop side I'm trying to connect from one Linux box to another.

I find it strange that Remmina, a Linux program will connect to a Windows box with ease and without any extra steps beyond giving it the IP address and login credentials. Not so when connecting to another Linux box. There are 3 choices - RDP, SFTF and SSH. RDP I understand but the other 2 are clear as mud. I want to remote into a Linux box the same as I remote into a Windows box.

There are far better ways to remote into a Linux machine from another Linux machine compared to RDP. RDP is nothing but a security problem waiting to happen.

If you need just CLI for Linux to Linux you just need SSH. If you need a GUI then x2go over SSH is all you need for Linux to Linux. https://fabianlee.org/2019/02/03/ubuntu-x2go-on-ubuntu-bionic-for-remote-desktop-access/

Those instructions are specific for Ubuntu but they work across just another any distro. You just install x2goclient and x2goserver with whatever package manager your distro uses.

There are far better ways to remote into a Linux machine from another Linux machine compared to RDP. RDP is nothing but a security problem waiting to happen.

If you need just CLI for Linux to Linux you just need SSH. If you need a GUI then x2go over SSH is all you need for Linux to Linux. https://fabianlee.org/2019/02/03/ubuntu-x2go-on-ubuntu-bionic-for-remote-desktop-access/

Those instructions are specific for Ubuntu but they work across just another any distro. You just install x2goclient and x2goserver with whatever package manager your distro uses.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm using Mint Cinnamon on both boxes.

Linux doesn't let you to connect unencrypted and insecure by default. That's why you have to set up VNC as localhost and then SSH tunnel into the remote machine to make a secure remote desktop. Windows has RDP open (for exploits).

Linux doesn't let you to connect unencrypted and insecure by default. That's why you have to set up VNC as localhost and then SSH tunnel into the remote machine to make a secure remote desktop. Windows has RDP open (for exploits).

Understood but what sucks is I can't find any CURRENT instructions on how to do this. Seems like 99 percent of the Linux info out there is out of date and no longer applicable. Pisses me off to be following instructions and come across something that does not exist and therefor can't be followed. My beef is the lack of CURRENT correct information.

it's extremely simple:
as a regular user on remote host: vnc4server -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -nolisten tcp (opens a localhost vnc server to port 5901 by default, you can choose whatever desktop resolution you want)
Then on client machine (i.e. your desktop/laptop) ssh -f -N -L 5901:localhost:5901 youruser@youraddress (unless Remmina has an option for tunnel in which case use that)

After this you can connect your vnc client to localhost port 5901 and you connect to your remote servers desktop through SSH.
So in your local machine just use whatever method your vnc client supports to make a localhost connection to VNC port 5901.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that if your remote server is linux, you don't need to install a 'desktop' to your server. When you VNC to it, it opens a virtual desktop you can access remotely. You'll need to install only a couple of components such as xinit. Another option is to use X-forwarding and connect using ssh -X (allows you to open remote apps with GUI directly on your desktop from the server).

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquest...eed_to_install_x_and_vnc_on_a_headless_linux/

Back