Eye-strain with new monitor - how did you deal with it?

I already said different LCD technologies require different eye focus. This was especially obvious to me when switching from VA to IPS. In my case this didn't result in any eye strain however, just in me looking at panel differently and I actually like IPS presentation more even despite there being nothing tangible to focus at or perhaps exactly for that reason.

If some people as it seems are less flexible in these kind of things then it might as well be that VA panels are better for them. I must admit that VA are in some way more like flat surface in that eyes have at least surface to focus at, unlike IPS which seems to be more like watching transparent mosaic of colored glass.

Can you explain what you mean by these statements? I'm noticing something similar when comparing my IPS to the VA, but I'm not sure how to articulate it. Why would VA produce a more flat surface versus IPS? I thought it was the low haze unit I'm primarily comparing the VA against, but then I noticed something similar with the matte IPS.

I did not, but as you will see in the response I just wrote to your other thread on these forums (coincidentally before I read this response of yours), I’ve come to the conclusion over the past year that there are many more things to consider than just the panel, such as room lighting and window position. I just bought a Pixio Px275h because it has a dpi of 108 (which I have identified to be the right amount for my own eyesight to be comfortable, which I realized after using a 40 inch 4K TV as a monitor which had a GPA of 110), 95 Hz to minimize lower frame rate eye strain (I wasn’t willing to pay another hundred dollars just to go up to 144 Hz), and dci-p3 color gamut because I am pretty sensitive to color quality. I will receive the monitor next week and once I have used it for a little bit I will be sure to post a review on hardforum.

So how did you find the IPS screen compared to your VA? No update since this post of yours.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

Take a look at the pictures here showing the pixel arrangement of IPS and VA. Rather different, and you can appreciate why IPS is more confusing to the eyes.

x900f-pixels-small.jpg

sk9000-pixels-small.jpg

Here are the full-sized versions of those same images:
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/sony/x900f/x900f-pixels-large.jpg
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/lg/sk9000/sk9000-pixels-large.jpg

These images also explain why VA has a subjectively flatter feel that many find easier to focus on for extended periods.

Last edited:
So how did you find the IPS screen compared to your VA? No update since this post of yours.

Hi! Yes, sorry, I've been swamped with work, and I still will be for another week or so. I've been really happy with this Pixio monitor, it is outstanding. Colors are really good, especially if you like punchy ones, kind of like looking at my iPad but with a matte finish. No eyestrain whatsoever, other than having to turn the brightness down to %40 because this thing is bright (even if it's only certified to 400 nits, I've never had a monitor that gets this bright). Watching Hulu and Netflix on this thing is amazing if you use the apps that can stream at actual good quality 1080p, unlike browsers. The 95hz are really noticeable, I'm starting to get what people say about HFR - I don't think I'd like to go back to 60hz anymore.

I'm still planning on doing a subjective review of the Pixio, sometime in the next 2 weeks, once I can carve some time to take some nice pictures and write a decent post. I just returned to the US from Europe a couple weeks ago and I've been quarantined, plus remote work kicking my butt, well, I've had no time at all. Hopefully in a few days I can take the pictures and write about my experience with the display. I can tell you so far though, that it'll be a very positive post. Probably the monitor I've been happiest with in the past 10 years. Bit of backlight bleed in the lower left corner, but that's my only con so far. More details soon.

Funny I run into this post as I went from a 32" 4K LG (3840x2160) to the Asus XG43VQ (3840X1200) and my eyes are being mutilated. I've toyed with brightness, saturation, contrast, color, blue light filtering. Nothing seems to change. As soon as I walk away for 3-4 minutes my eyes start to feel relief but as soon as I sit back at my computer it instantly starts all over again.

I can say as I look at words and start moving my head to the other side of the screen to look at another pane the txt is blurry to me for a second or two and as I'm moving away from txt it also starts to be blurry. I'm one to not generally jack with monitor settings too much as they always seem fine out of the box to me but damn this thing could have just a few more settings for who knows what it seems to try and adjust it more. LOL I've also tried moving back away from the screen more and it doesn't seem to change at all so I don't think it's a matter of being too close.

I've also tried HDR through windows which pretty much kills any color/brightness etc settings of the monitor so I'm then forced to use the little HDR brightness slider for adjustments. This seems to make no difference either. I'm almost to the point of shipping it back to Amazon and going for something in the 1440p range as I'm wondering if the font quality is the cause. IE font doesn't look anywhere near as crisp at this 1200p as it did with the 2160p naturally. It's kinda like using a lcd tv for a monitor.

Funny I run into this post as I went from a 32" 4K LG (3840x2160) to the Asus XG43VQ (3840X1200) and my eyes are being mutilated. I've toyed with brightness, saturation, contrast, color, blue light filtering. Nothing seems to change. As soon as I walk away for 3-4 minutes my eyes start to feel relief but as soon as I sit back at my computer it instantly starts all over again.

I can say as I look at words and start moving my head to the other side of the screen to look at another pane the txt is blurry to me for a second or two and as I'm moving away from txt it also starts to be blurry. I'm one to not generally jack with monitor settings too much as they always seem fine out of the box to me but damn this thing could have just a few more settings for who knows what it seems to try and adjust it more. LOL I've also tried moving back away from the screen more and it doesn't seem to change at all so I don't think it's a matter of being too close.

I've also tried HDR through windows which pretty much kills any color/brightness etc settings of the monitor so I'm then forced to use the little HDR brightness slider for adjustments. This seems to make no difference either. I'm almost to the point of shipping it back to Amazon and going for something in the 1440p range as I'm wondering if the font quality is the cause. IE font doesn't look anywhere near as crisp at this 1200p as it did with the 2160p naturally. It's kinda like using a lcd tv for a monitor.
Turn the brightness WAY down on the monitor. Try like 20-30% and work up. That’s usually the solution for me. They ship WAYYYY too bright.

IE font doesn't look anywhere near as crisp at this 1200p as it did with the 2160p naturally. It's kinda like using a lcd tv for a monitor.

Did your former monitor have an IPS panel? XG43VQ is a VA panel, and VAs have this weird pixel alignment which tends to make text look blurrier.

I had a strange experience with my CRG9 when I tried to feed it a signal through a bandwidth limited connection.
It still produced the same full res of the screen effectively but at a lower res, so pixels were missing and text was blurry, harder to read.
ie text size was correct for full res but it was rendered on screen at lower res.
I think it was when I used a 1080p DP adapter by accident, strange it allowed the PC to render output at the res of the screen despite the display being unable to show it all.
But I managed to have this happen another way as well, but cant for the life of me remember it.

Maybe this is like the problem you are having?
It could be a cable issue?

ps Windows isnt meant to be rendered in HDR because its SDR. It can also burn your monitor in faster (ie waste the life of the LEDs/OLEDs).
I only turn HDR on for material that uses it.

What's you environment like? Does this happens in day time as well as night? how bright is the room and what direction is the light source coming from? I use a CG437K for over a year and usually fine except for long gaming sessions. What I found is that having a soft light source behind the monitor helps a lot, the CD437K comes with 4 adjustable color LED strips that you can mount on the back of the monitor like this:

IMG_8907.jpg

But you can buy something like this at amazon if the ASUS doesn't have them:

https://www.amazon.com/Led-Strip-Li...7830&sprefix=LED+strips+for+Tv,aps,233&sr=8-9

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did your former monitor have an IPS panel? XG43VQ is a VA panel, and VAs have this weird pixel alignment which tends to make text look blurrier.
Nope it was also VA https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32ud59-b
I had a strange experience with my CRG9 when I tried to feed it a signal through a bandwidth limited connection.
It still produced the same full res of the screen effectively but at a lower res, so pixels were missing and text was blurry, harder to read.
ie text size was correct for full res but it was rendered on screen at lower res.
I think it was when I used a 1080p DP adapter by accident, strange it allowed the PC to render output at the res of the screen despite the display being unable to show it all.
But I managed to have this happen another way as well, but cant for the life of me remember it.

Maybe this is like the problem you are having?
It could be a cable issue?

ps Windows isnt meant to be rendered in HDR because its SDR. It can also burn your monitor in faster (ie waste the life of the LEDs/OLEDs).
I only turn HDR on for material that uses it.
That's what seems to bother me the most is the text. It's as if my eyes are constantly trying to focus on it. I'm running a Monoprice 1.4 DP cable pretty sure that's not the issue. Was using the same cable with my previous monitor without a problem. I only used HDR for a short 5 minutes or so trying to see if there was any improvement.

I've messed with settings some more today and nothing has been seeming to improve it. I should have had a monitor stand delivered today from Amazon but they sent it to the Garland hub instead of Grand Prairie so I won't get it until tomorrow or Tuesday now. The mount should allow the monitor to sit further back on my desk and maybe that will improve things. If not I'm shopping for something else as prolonged use with these issues going on is bound to F my vision and I currently don't need glasses but keep this up and......

Nope it was also VA https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32ud59-b

That's what seems to bother me the most is the text. It's as if my eyes are constantly trying to focus on it. I'm running a Monoprice 1.4 DP cable pretty sure that's not the issue. Was using the same cable with my previous monitor without a problem. I only used HDR for a short 5 minutes or so trying to see if there was any improvement.

I've messed with settings some more today and nothing has been seeming to improve it. I should have had a monitor stand delivered today from Amazon but they sent it to the Garland hub instead of Grand Prairie so I won't get it until tomorrow or Tuesday now. The mount should allow the monitor to sit further back on my desk and maybe that will improve things. If not I'm shopping for something else as prolonged use with these issues going on is bound to F my vision and I currently don't need glasses but keep this up and......
Could be the pixel density. You went from having 139 PPI to just 92 PPI. That is the same pixel density as a 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

So, here's an unexpected update: in the past few months, I've been getting insane eye-strain, to the point that it's been making it hard to work home
Late to this party, and with 5 pages - I'm not sure whether this has been covered, but here's some things that I did/notice:

• Your new monitor is centered lower than the old one, so you have an ergonomics change on top of everything else. This often causes a host of problems - if the monitor is not at the right height. Some say the top should be eye level - but I prefer mine a bit higher. Try putting the stand on a box if necessary. Eliminate head / neck strain.
  • Squinting may be a factor. I first tried low power reading glasses, but found they made me lean in too much (wrong focal length for a monitor. What made a huge difference was buying a special pair of glasses just for monitor work - from the Target optometrist. I first measured my average eye distance and had her cut me a prescription for that. Made sure to buy good quality lenses with uv and anti glare coating (and maybe one other suggested by optometrist). Made a HUGE difference
  • Another issue might be the form factor - you seem to have lost a ton of vertical real estate in exchange for a wider screen. This is one of the main things behind my interest in the 32-inch monitors - the ultrawides are so narrow vertically and long horizontally that you have to move your eyes differently than you are used to. The 32s are still 16x9, while not as good as 16x10, seems more natural for work purposes (IMO)
EDIT: Crap - this was a necro'd thread: OP was from a long time ago!

Last edited:
I have the same issue with LG display panels. They give me eye strain. Quickly too. Have the same issue with some other vendors. Samsung panels seem to be good though. No issues with those.

I have the same issue with LG display panels. They give me eye strain. Quickly too. Have the same issue with some other vendors. Samsung panels seem to be good though. No issues with those.
Hello, I am new user and stuff and totally not Samsung representative and because we have this matter behind us let me tell you a life story and how it all fell apart...
I had normal fulfilling life, had wife, kids, car, house, etc. but then after years and years of using Samsung monitor I thought to myself "Time for an upgrade?". No particular reason to upgrade, current monitor was fulfilling all my needs for a computer monitor... you know how it is when you buy things because you can, not because you need to? I almost got another Samsung monitor because previous was working great for so many years and my eyes were newer tired when using it. I got however skimpy and started searching for cheaper alternatives "they all make the same stuff from the same stuff, right?" and I saw advertisement of LG monitor... similar specs, looked similar to Samsung monitors I was reading about earlier, lower price point... ah, cannot be that bad, can it? And this was the moment that I regret... I ordered monitor not from Samsung but from LG... When it came and I connected it it was obvious it is pretty bad and nothing like my previous Samsung monitor. My eyes were immediately burning when I switched it on. I wanted to return it right away but I thought that maybe I was tired and that is why the impression was not good and besides why the hurry, I can use it for a while and in the mean time search for better monitor. Getting LG product was not a best decision in my life... next day when I was getting back from work I noticed my house was on fire... later police told me it was electrical fault in the cheap electronics inside computer monitor with LG logo on it. Damn it!, I knew I should get Samsung monitor, I then knew eyes were burning from LG products but I didn't act soon enough! Now my wife and my kids eyes are burned too... only scorched bones left of them... I lost my family, lost my house and even had to sell my car to be able to pay for their funeral... and the only thing I got is my trusty Samsung monitor which I put it to the trunk to take it to the electro waste bin. It has never failed me, it always worked. I do not know why I did all of this... why and how I could trust sham companies like LG?!?! There are good companies making high quality reliable products like for example Samsung and being penny pincher and getting junk like what LG produces is never worth it. So please take my advice and be wise in how you spend your money because if you get bad product, like in my case monitor from terrible manufacturer LG, then it might cost you more... much more...

Worst of the worst these LG monitors I tell ya!
DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!!1
Zero stars, and only because I cannot make it minus five!

^ ^ this is how you do it correctly 🙃

You should try a Renpho eye massager off Amazon it helps.

I have a 240hz Alienware monitor boxed up its IPS I use it for kicks but VA monitors are easier on my eyes.

Also take Luetin

Back