Extreme difficulty slotting RTX 3090 into Z690 motherboard

Next time you need to reinstall it... just keep an eye on the tabs at the bottom and slightly adjust it to make sure it slides into the slots made for it on your computer case. Everything else should slide right in without much effort and definitely not your body weight lol

3090.png

Here's the picture you provided but it's not clear what case you have. From that picture it looks like the bottom tabs are suppose to go into the slots on the motherboard tray itself but it seems in the picture you have it sticking away from the slot.

YourCase.jpg

legcramp makes a great point on the forks/tabs not slotting in properly on the I/O faceplate. It looks to me like you tried to hook the back of the PCIe slot first and swing the I/O side in.

dan_d brought it up i post 26 and very well could have been the problem, have had it happen myself.
Yeah I've seen the standoff slack issue too, but I meant the actual motherboard tray could be out of alignment or the case itself could flex if it's a cheaper/less sturdy design... I had to drill out a bunch of pop rivets that held the tray on one case and shim it with washers to align it properly for example.

Or back in the day while assembling a system on an old table or uneven furniture and having the whole thing flex out of alignment. MOST cases now are more resilient now, but not the cheaper ones.

Thanks ill check these again when I reinstall the GPU later.

Btw, the case is a Lian Li O11 XL Dynamic ROG certified, so I would assume quality assurance is top notch here!

Btw, the case is a Lian Li O11 XL Dynamic ROG certified, so I would assume quality assurance is top notch here!
I've got the same case. I had zero trouble building in it. My GPU slotted in perfectly. I've built many machines in these cases without any problems. So far, Lian-Li's quality has been consistent.

Ah. Yeah. Things don't line up on those sometimes all that well. I've had fits with mine - Dan_D's worked perfectly it sounds like, mine has issues the opposite way (the MB wants to cinch down ~too~ far, and the GPU won't be fully in the slot). Had to do a LOT of tweaking to get that to work - didn't have the same issue on either of the non-XLs I built in. Something about the XL is ... slightly off. At least on mine - bought locally from MC.

Ah. Yeah. Things don't line up on those sometimes all that well. I've had fits with mine - Dan_D's worked perfectly it sounds like, mine has issues the opposite way (the MB wants to cinch down ~too~ far, and the GPU won't be fully in the slot). Had to do a LOT of tweaking to get that to work - didn't have the same issue on either of the non-XLs I built in. Something about the XL is ... slightly off. At least on mine - bought locally from MC.
I've probably built 3x systems in O11 Dynamic XL's and close to half a dozen or more in standard O11 Dynamics. All of them have been fine. That being said, I'm anal about lining up the motherboard perfectly in the case and using all the stand offs and that sort of thing. Occasionally, I have run into cases where the GPU I/O bracket is bent or otherwise messed up in some way as to cause issues. I've seen cases that weren't great, but that's not been my experience with Lian-Li's.

It's also worth noting that I've also used vertical mounts in some of them. My XL has a vertical mount but the other two didn't. At least one of the standard O11's I've built in also used a vertical mount.

I've probably built 3x systems in O11 Dynamic XL's and close to half a dozen or more in standard O11 Dynamics. All of them have been fine. That being said, I'm anal about lining up the motherboard perfectly in the case and using all the stand offs and that sort of thing. Occasionally, I have run into cases where the GPU I/O bracket is bent or otherwise messed up in some way as to cause issues. I've seen cases that weren't great, but that's not been my experience with Lian-Li's.

It's also worth noting that I've also used vertical mounts in some of them. My XL has a vertical mount but the other two didn't. At least one of the standard O11's I've built in also used a vertical mount.
Rebuild mine twice - Zenth II Extreme Alpha, XL, etc, all standoffs (has to be, it's an EATX board) - it still doesn't line up right unless you have it in somewhat loose, install the gpu, tighten down the board, and then finally finish the GPU install. :(

edit: oddly enough, my Zenith I also has similar issues in a different case, now that I'm thinking about it (HAF XB Evo). I wonder if they did something weird with that overall board design that I didn't notice.

Rebuild mine twice - Zenth II Extreme Alpha, XL, etc, all standoffs (has to be, it's an EATX board) - it still doesn't line up right unless you have it in somewhat loose, install the gpu, tighten down the board, and then finally finish the GPU install. :(

edit: oddly enough, my Zenith I also has similar issues in a different case, now that I'm thinking about it (HAF XB Evo). I wonder if they did something weird with that overall board design that I didn't notice.
I would doubt it. Steel case stampings are likely to blame here. I couldn't be sure without seeing it or test fitting it in different cases. I will say that my Maximus Z690 Extreme fit in my O11 Dynamic XL perfectly. A lot of times you have to really push a board against the I/O panel to get it to line up with the standoffs. I'm not sure everyone does that. Some I/O shields are padded or have little tin tabs that act as springs to push against the I/O shield opening. There are lots of reasons why things don't always line up perfectly.

I would doubt it. Steel case stampings are likely to blame here. I couldn't be sure without seeing it or test fitting it in different cases. I will say that my Maximus Z690 Extreme fit in my O11 Dynamic XL perfectly. A lot of times you have to really push a board against the I/O panel to get it to line up with the standoffs. I'm not sure everyone does that. Some I/O shields are padded or have little tin tabs that act as springs to push against the I/O shield opening. There are lots of reasons why things don't always line up perfectly.
IO panel was fine; this was that it sat too close to the motherboard tray.

Back