EVGA's Farewell & Repair Facility Behind The Scenes

DPI

[H]F Junkie
A final-days look behind the curtain of EVGA GPU design, and never seen footage of EVGA's ultra efficient repair facility in Taiwan that helped make their warranty best in business.

This is actual tech-journalism and fresh air in a sea of tabloid-tubers and rumor peddlers.

Last edited:
It would be more impressive if this wasn't all about a company that is exiting the business. It would be cool to get a tour of the facilities from a company that actually still sells cards. Is this video supposed to be an example of how to do things right, or how to do things wrong (since they ultimately decided that their business model was not sustainable)?

Normally can't stand techtuber video format but in this instance yes - this is quality reporting.

It would be more impressive if this wasn't all about a company that is exiting the business. It would be cool to get a tour of the facilities from a company that actually still sells cards. Is this video supposed to be an example of how to do things right, or how to do things wrong (since they ultimately decided that their business model was not sustainable)?

out-of-line-anthony-mackie.gif

That repair centre was awesome. The part where they were trying to pop off the GPU from the damaged board brought memories of trying to desolder something without a heat-gun and knowing that there is probably a 50% chance that the component will be cooked/deformed.

I can totally understand now why eVGA's customer service was second to none. Clearly, they were able to reclaim close to full value from dumpster trash (provided that the GPU was still working) and that allowed them to offer such generous support/refunds to customers. It's truly a travesty that eVGA is out of the business. We will probably never see this level of customer support again for NVidia GPU's.

I thought that this was going to be a giant clean-room with a bunch of people in astronaut outfits. That said, it is really more like a few university students with soldering guns and fancy toys trying to make something from nothing. It is really cool, thank you so much for sharing this amazing video.

I agree...what's the point in showing us the repair/warranty facility now after they shut down??

While EVGA RMAs have always been smooth for me. I think what's even better is my experience with the companies I've never had to RMA graphics cards to before because they never broke in the first place. Like Zotac, Powercolor and XFX.

Understood, but you may be missing the forest here. Companies are loathe to show their interiors while they're still in the fight, out of competitive concerns.

And the video isn't about doing things right or wrong, but just their unique way of doing things. Like seeing a stealth jet factory after it's been decommissioned.

Their business model was just a victim of change - a power differential, a gap that became too wide in their Nvidia partnership, and these decisions are really made in spreadsheets. Like the nature of war, it can change without it being anyone's fault: find a force-multiplier and adapt, or surrender/die.

Last edited:
Who says it's any better to be an AMD AIB manufacturer?

You're right, it might not be better at all. At the same time, we are not witnessing a major exodus of AIB companies. It's pretty much just EVGA... It seems like they could have used the opportunity to carve out a new niche for themselves selling AMD or even Intel cards. The timing in regards to the crypto crash is hard to ignore. If their main issue is that they can't maintain previous profits from selling overpriced cards to miners, then it's hard for me to have sympathy for them. I'm not trying to let Nvidia or others off-the-hook for any shenanigans that they are trying to pull, but again, EVGA was not the only AIB and others have managed to find a way to continue functioning in the current market.

You're right, it might not be better at all. At the same time, we are not witnessing a major exodus of AIB companies. It's pretty much just EVGA... It seems like they could have used the opportunity to carve out a new niche for themselves selling AMD or even Intel cards. The timing in regards to the crypto crash is hard to ignore. If their main issue is that they can't maintain previous profits from selling overpriced cards to miners, then it's hard for me to have sympathy for them. I'm not trying to let Nvidia or others off-the-hook for any shenanigans that they are trying to pull, but again, EVGA was not the only AIB and others have managed to find a way to continue functioning in the current market.

EVGA was one of the last handful of AIBs that were primarily dedicated to GPUs. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc are all much larger companies with their hands in so many pots. What's it matter to them if GPU sales slump a bit or if Nvidia eats some of their profits? They're in significantly better positions to adapt as the market changes.

Switching to AMD or Intel cards would require a massive investment, one they simply might not feel is worth it. At least, not unless either of them can do more than fight over a tiny fraction of the market.

The fact that EVGA is still relevant in the news suggests they may come back, so long as Nvidia changes the deal. This whole EVGA leaving the GPU industry seems more like a ploy to get better pricing from Nvidia.

I agree...what's the point in showing us the repair/warranty facility now after they shut down??

Last ditch effort to remain relevant before fading into obscurity, and finally shuttering their doors? Just a guess.
Of course they are not going to show you the trade secrets of a still operating division. The exact reason they are comfortable showing behind the scenes is because they are shutting down. I thought that would be obvious to everyone.

For all you know EVGA's margins were still better than of other AIBs, there is no proof of them doing things wrong or worse than others.

Of course they are not going to show you the trade secrets of a still operating division. The exact reason they are comfortable showing behind the scenes is because they are shutting down. I thought that would be obvious to everyone.

For all you know EVGA's margins were still better than of other AIBs, there is no proof of them doing things wrong or worse than others.
All well and good, but they have absolutely no reason to show this at all except to stay fresh in people's minds. They know full well that their GPU side of the business was THE business. And like they say, there's a sucker born every minute.

I'm surprised, this is not rocket science.

The point of the video is to:

- drum up views for a YouTuber, and give him multiple spots to shill his merch and ask people for Patreon money
- give some EVGA employees a morale boost at negligible cost to the company during a time were retention may be concern
- give EVGA multiple opportunities to shill their capabilities with side-glances to their other products--which were also advertised

Is this not obvious to you?

The fact that EVGA is still relevant in the news suggests they may come back, so long as Nvidia changes the deal. This whole EVGA leaving the GPU industry seems more like a ploy to get better pricing from Nvidia.

If it's a ploy, it's an incredibly stupid one. Nvidia isn't going to change due to a single AIB leaving them, it has zero real effect on their business. Everyone loves to come up with wild conspiracy theories, but I feel like Occam's Razor applies here. They're definitely using everything as a good PR opportunity to remain in the public eye, but I don't think there's some grand conspiracy to force Nvidia to change or to jump ship to AMD/Intel. It's simply PR making the company look good to entice customers into buying their non-GPU products.

And the video isn't about doing things right or wrong, but just their unique way of doing things. Like seeing a stealth jet factory after it's been decommissioned.

f35_lockheedmartin_promo.jpg

How about seeing one while commissioned? :p

Their business model was just a victim of change - a power differential, a gap that became too wide in their Nvidia partnership, and these decisions are really made in spreadsheets. Like the nature of war, it can change without it being anyone's fault: find a force-multiplier and adapt, or surrender/die.

Pretty much. Which is too bad. With rising costs across the board it makes me wonder if Nvidia will eventually move everything in house to cut down on middle man costs in an attempt to bring the overall price of Nvidia graphic cards down. But I have no idea how viable that would be, there is clearly a reason why they went with 3rd party partners in the first place. But maybe things have changed the past 20+ years and the FE cards was Nvidia dabbling in direct branding/marketing themselves?

EVGA was one of the last handful of AIBs that were primarily dedicated to GPUs. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc are all much larger companies with their hands in so many pots.

EVGA also sells Motherboards, Power-supplies, Cases, Keyboards, Mice, Sound Cards, AIO coolers, and more. It doesn't really seem that different than those other companies. Keep in mind, they aren't going out of business. They are still selling all that other stuff.

You wouldn't expect MSI or another big brand to still be in the news, if they left GPU sales??

EVGA treated me ok and I've bought many GPUs and PSUs. Had a couple RMAs that couldn't have been handled any better. Did a step-up that saved me several hundred $. I'm sad to see them stopping GPU sales.

EVGA also sells Motherboards, Power-supplies, Cases, Keyboards, Mice, Sound Cards, AIO coolers, and more. It doesn't really seem that different than those other companies. Keep in mind, they aren't going out of business. They are still selling all that other stuff.
Yeah and if I recall correctly, their other products, while much smaller in sales compared to their cards, were more profitable.

EVGA will be fine.

Switching to AMD or Intel cards would require a massive investment, one they simply might not feel is worth it. At least, not unless either of them can do more than fight over a tiny fraction of the market.
Maybe? Maybe not? From what I gather AiBs get blank circuit boards (or the design for them) the actual GPU, basically just populate it with off the shelf components, ram, VRMs, caps, etc, and a cooling solution (that very well may already have some reference design so there's no R&D needed unless going exotic). Part of me thinks that it wouldn't be any real cost difference than say having the 4070ti come out after pumping out 4080s and 4090s.

All well and good, but they have absolutely no reason to show this at all except to stay fresh in people's minds. They know full well that their GPU side of the business was THE business. And like they say, there's a sucker born every minute.
They have shown the exact opposite, that their GPU division was responsible only for a fraction of their profits despite being significant in revenue. That's why they pulled the plug, it was dead weight, a liability rather than an asset.
I'm surprised, this is not rocket science.
Well, you say that but then go on and cite all the wrong reasons.
The point of the video is to:

- drum up views for a YouTuber, and give him multiple spots to shill his merch and ask people for Patreon money
The question was why EVGA would show it. Surely you do not suggest that they care about tech jebus's patreon income.
- give some EVGA employees a morale boost at negligible cost to the company during a time were retention may be concern
That's even more off base than your first suggestion. If they are relying on a video coming out months after it was recorded to help the morale of the employees, then EVGA is dead already. Wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes as a business if they need a 3rd party youtuber to boost their internal morale.

The other parts of their business is not affected by this why would retention be an issue there? As for the GPU division they know very well that there is no reason to keep those people if they want to leave.
- give EVGA multiple opportunities to shill their capabilities with side-glances to their other products--which were also advertised
Isn't that the purpose of every factory tour given by companies, to raise awareness about their products? At least you are not wrong here, but this is hardly unique to their situation.

Well, you say that but then go and cite all the wrong reasons.
The question was why EVGA would show it. Surely you do not suggest that they care about tech jebus's patreon income.
The question was not why EVGA would show it. Go read the question once more, carefully this time. Since it did not specify a "who" I provided answers for all of the revelant parties, including EVGA and the person you call a "tech jebus."
That's even more off base than your first suggestion. If they are relying on a video coming out months after it was recorded to help the morale of the employees, then EVGA is dead already. Wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes as a business if they need a 3rd party youtuber to boost their internal morale.
This is even more off base than your first retort. Businesses offer "behind the scenes" tours all the time to generate buzz internally and externally. I've done perhaps a dozen myself--how many have you done, or perhaps you don't understand much about businesses?
The other parts of their business is not affected by this why would retention be an issue there? As for the GPU division they know very well that there is no reason to keep those people if they want to leave.
Oh, you're one of those people who think there are "GPU engineers" and "PSU engineers" and "motherboard engineers" and never do any of these skill sets actually intersect in the slightest. Nice. Got it.
Isn't that the purpose of every factory tour given by companies, to raise awareness about their products? At least you are not wrong here, but this is hardly unique to their situation.
Yes that is one of the main purposes of any factory tour. I'm glad you were able to at least recognize this. Now please respond to the person I was originally quoting and ask that person why he's so surprised that a company would give a factory tour to raise awareness for their products.

They have shown the exact opposite, that their GPU division was responsible only for a fraction of their profits despite being significant in revenue. That's why they pulled the plug, it was dead weight, a liability rather than an asset.

Being a significant source of their revenue isn't exactly dead weight. Outside of maybe PSUs it seems like everything else they do isn't exactly popular. I am sure marketing can lean more into that and maybe they will become the next Corsair, but I am doubting it.

Guessing you have never heard of a loss leader? EVGA just buried their loss leader, and as such will slowly but surely proceed to be forgotten; unless they do something to stay in the public eye, like said video.

I don't blame most people for not seeing through their thinly veiled attempt at staying relevant, most don't know or even care enough to really look at these sort of things for what they are.

In the end, no one is going out of their way to purchase any of their other products by themselves. They aren't particularly known for anything except their GPUs. Some would purchase additional EVGA products to go with their EVGA GPU, but that will no longer be the case.

If it's a ploy, it's an incredibly stupid one. Nvidia isn't going to change due to a single AIB leaving them, it has zero real effect on their business. Everyone loves to come up with wild conspiracy theories, but I feel like Occam's Razor applies here. They're definitely using everything as a good PR opportunity to remain in the public eye, but I don't think there's some grand conspiracy to force Nvidia to change or to jump ship to AMD/Intel. It's simply PR making the company look good to entice customers into buying their non-GPU products.
Well stated, as you tend to do. At first I was convinced the behavior of the EVGA CEO was not that of a man that wanted to simply fade. Because that doesn't need fanfare - a one-page on the Corp website is all. I thought maybe he wanted to just skip the suppressed, post-mining gpu market and re-enter if market changed later.

However, seeing how bummed out and somber Vince (Kingpin) is in these videos, this isn't a ploy. And it seems that Nvidia slowly tightening their fine grain control over their product segmentation really was a big factor, with EVGA not knowing how to adapt without degrading themselves to sweatshop level operation.

What I do know is the entire industry- every AIB, as well as Nvidia and AMD have watched the video. And got to pause in their highly secretive, highly competitive day-to-day to see their industry humanized for a moment. It wont change anything, not the economic forces that produced this outcome, but they saw it.

Last edited:
Back