EVGA Step Up to 3XXX card

I do see why EVGA might of denied the step-up because of the name issue, but you are absolutely correct that they should of NEVER sent you instructions and approved the step 5 of the step up and go threw all this to at the end very say they denied you again. All that even AFTER you explained the situation the first time and they approved it after you talked with them.

Yeah I would be pissed too.

I do see why EVGA might of denied the step-up because of the name issue, but you are absolutely correct that they should of NEVER sent you instructions and approved the step 5 of the step up and go threw all this to at the end very say they denied you again. All that even AFTER you explained the situation the first time and they approved it after you talked with them.

Yeah I would be pissed too.

AND sent the card in already... That's honestly what pisses me off the most. Now I have no card for 2 weeks while they (hopefully) turn it back around to me.

I ordered it using his CC info checking out as a guest and listing him as the pickup person, and he picked it up in January. My friend shipped me the card, and when I received it and tested it, I uploaded the receipt showing the best buy order #, the date, the location, and the pickup person. It was accepted on the EVGA site in January. No problems.

Then I go through the step up process. After the step of accepting my payment for the new card, they tell me there's a problem with the invoice. I contacted them explaining the situation, and then they seemingly accept it issuing me an RMA number later that day, so I ship out the card, and then they tell me that they are denying it again.

If they are going to deny based on the name on the receipt, so be it. It's kind of a shitty thing to do as I am the only person to ever register the card, and the only reason I did it that way was because there were no cards available near me and I had to think fast to try to get a card period. But if you're going to deny it for some bullshit reason, DON'T ISSUE ME AN RMA NUMBER AND INSTRUCTIONS TO MAIL THE CARD IN. They issued me the number after they initially told me that they weren't going to accept the invoice, but before they responded to my service ticket. I thought that the issuance of the RMA number WAS the response to my service ticket.

And now that I mailed the card in, what am I going to get back?

Edit: I wonder if I should contact the post office to try and get the package back.
I would contact the post office. You should be able to get the card back.
Have you tried calling eVga?

I can also see why they would deny the step up, but the rest of it is just nuts. I’d be pissed also. Hopefully they straighten this out. I’d call them directly.

I would contact the post office. You should be able to get the card back.
Have you tried calling eVga?

I can also see why they would deny the step up, but the rest of it is just nuts. I’d be pissed also. Hopefully they straighten this out. I’d call them directly.

I just called and they said that "Due to COVID-19" I could be on hold forever...lol.

Man that’s annoying

Well, I actually got through to someone. They said that the hard truth is that if your name doesn't match up, they are going to deny it, but then he wasn't sure why they issued the RMA number if they denied it. He said if I have an RMA number it will probably go through anyway. But at the same time, if they change their minds later, I don't necessarily want my hard to come by video card doing a lap of the country over the next 10 days.

Pro tip per EVGA: If you're going to upload an invoice, make sure it doesn't have anyone's name on it and then they can't make a big deal about it.

Edit: I also have an e-mail saying that my invoice was verified in Step 3 of 5. Go figure. They changed their mind about my invoice AFTER they verified it asking for payment. My CC has a pending charge of $14XX.XX (trying to step up from a 3070 to a 3090). Long story short, if I didn't call them, they probably would have just sent me the stepped up card...lol. Now he's looking into it and I'm on hold...

Last edited:
Ok...I just got off the phone with them.

So they say that I will be getting a 3090. They said that I shouldn't be, but it's already past the point of denial. So it was mistakenly approved.

Whew...:whistle:

Was your friend's name and address used to buy the card? If so, I'm sure they are saying he was the original owner and only he is allowed to step-up. However, if he purchased the card as a gift for you it seems you should be considered the original owner as it was unopened until you received it. Maybe worth a try?

edit: just saw your latest post

Well, I actually got through to someone. They said that the hard truth is that if your name doesn't match up, they are going to deny it, but then he wasn't sure why they issued the RMA number if they denied it. He said if I have an RMA number it will probably go through anyway. But at the same time, if they change their minds later, I don't necessarily want my hard to come by video card doing a lap of the country over the next 10 days.

Pro tip per EVGA: If you're going to upload an invoice, make sure it doesn't have anyone's name on it and then they can't make a big deal about it.

Edit: I also have an e-mail saying that my invoice was verified in Step 3 of 5. Go figure. They changed their mind about my invoice AFTER they verified it asking for payment. My CC has a pending charge of $14XX.XX (trying to step up from a 3070 to a 3090). Long story short, if I didn't call them, they probably would have just sent me the stepped up card...lol. Now he's looking into it and I'm on hold...
Great to hear :) Welcome to the 3090 club lol

My 3080 step up finally triggered on Wed night.

Shipped off my 2080 super yesterday. It should arrive on Monday.

Hoping for a quick turnaround and getting my new one by the end of next week!

Super excited, only took 8 months LOL.

Great to hear :) Welcome to the 3090 club lol

I already have a 3090 FE ;). I just couldn't resist stepping up a 3070 to a better card at a reduced price.

That being said, I had two 3070s and I put them both in for step ups. The first one I got in December, and I put in for a 3080. The second one I got in January and I put in for a 3090. The 3090 queue is moving much faster than the 3080 one. I don't even think I was in that queue for a month before I got the notification for a 3090. My brother will get the leftover 3070, and my fiance and I keep the 3090's :D.

Reactions: noko
like this
I already have a 3090 FE ;). I just couldn't resist stepping up a 3070 to a better card at a reduced price.

That being said, I had two 3070s and I put them both in for step ups. The first one I got in December, and I put in for a 3080. The second one I got in January and I put in for a 3090. The 3090 queue is moving much faster than the 3080 one. I don't even think I was in that queue for a month before I got the notification for a 3090. My brother will get the leftover 3070, and my fiance and I keep the 3090's :D.
Wow thats great! I have a 1660 super in queue for a 3080 since september :/ talk about taking forever lol.

Got to step 5 on my 3060 xc, could not resist another 3090 for mining in this environment. Will ship it out by Monday (need to minimize mining downtime lol).

Got to step 5 on my 3060 xc, could not resist another 3090 for mining in this environment. Will ship it out by Monday (need to minimize mining downtime lol).

Interesting. They wouldn't take my 3060 for step up. Said it wasn't available for that card for me. I have the $389 version that I got direct from them.

Interesting. They wouldn't take my 3060 for step up. Said it wasn't available for that card for me. I have the $389 version that I got direct from them.
Is ur other one a ftw3 3090 as well, might be one per household per sku.

Is ur other one a ftw3 3090 as well, might be one per household per sku.

They wouldn't let me put in for any step up at all. At this point I would take a 3070 if they would let me get it but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'll check it again when I get home.

I ordered it using his CC info checking out as a guest and listing him as the pickup person, and he picked it up in January. My friend shipped me the card, and when I received it and tested it, I uploaded the receipt showing the best buy order #, the date, the location, and the pickup person. It was accepted on the EVGA site in January. No problems.

Then I go through the step up process. After the step of accepting my payment for the new card, they tell me there's a problem with the invoice. I contacted them explaining the situation, and then they seemingly accept it issuing me an RMA number later that day, so I ship out the card, and then they tell me that they are denying it again.

If they are going to deny based on the name on the receipt, so be it. It's kind of a shitty thing to do as I am the only person to ever register the card, and the only reason I did it that way was because there were no cards available near me and I had to think fast to try to get a card period. But if you're going to deny it for some bullshit reason, DON'T ISSUE ME AN RMA NUMBER AND INSTRUCTIONS TO MAIL THE CARD IN. They issued me the number after they initially told me that they weren't going to accept the invoice, but before they responded to my service ticket. I thought that the issuance of the RMA number WAS the response to my service ticket.

And now that I mailed the card in, what am I going to get back?

Edit: I wonder if I should contact the post office to try and get the package back.
Send an email to Darwin, he is good peeps.

Question about step up:

Currently have a 3060 and wanting a 3080Ti. Do I start the Step Up process now (and change it to 3080Ti) or wait till 3080Ti shows up?

Question about step up:

Currently have a 3060 and wanting a 3080Ti. Do I start the Step Up process now (and change it to 3080Ti) or wait till 3080Ti shows up?

You can change it anytime within the 90 day window. If you start it now, you are in the queue if the 3080Ti doesn't launch in your 90 day window.

My 3080 FTW3 came in. I was pleasantly surprised with my custom fan curve to find that it’s completely inaudible even when I was playing Cold War maxed at 1440p and maintaining 130fps. It topped out at 66C.

The stock fan curve is awful. The fans make a clicking or ticking sound around the 45-55% speed mark and I made my custom fan curve to completely avoid that. It seems to be working as I haven’t heard it since. I have a 10 year warranty with advanced overnight shipping in case it (I’m looking at the fans) ever goes bad.

The thing is gigantic and runs everything like I wanted it to. eVGA really knocked it out of the park with this card. My only complaint is the ticking sound I heard from the fans before I made a custom curve. I can’t determine if it’s normal because it seems most haven’t gotten theirs yet.

My 3080 FTW3 came in. I was pleasantly surprised with my custom fan curve to find that it’s completely inaudible even when I was playing Cold War maxed at 1440p and maintaining 130fps. It topped out at 66C.

The stock fan curve is awful. The fans make a clicking or ticking sound around the 45-55% speed mark and I made my custom fan curve to completely avoid that. It seems to be working as I haven’t heard it since. I have a 10 year warranty with advanced overnight shipping in case it (I’m looking at the fans) ever goes bad.

The thing is gigantic and runs everything like I wanted it to. eVGA really knocked it out of the park with this card. My only complaint is the ticking sound I heard from the fans before I made a custom curve. I can’t determine if it’s normal because it seems most haven’t gotten theirs yet.
Can you share your fan curve? I haven't had time to mess with mine yet.

Back