EVGA GTX 780 3G or EVGA 960 2G?

GTX 780 3gb or GTX 960 2gb

• Total voters

Vegas P11

[H]ard|Gawd
I just built my son a new budget gaming computer for Christmas using the following parts:
AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk mobo
16gb Corsair Dominator Pro RGB 3200 memory
1 TB NVME SanDisk boot drive
2 TB spinner

Since I can't get my hands on a decent newer video card unless I want to pay through the nose I am stuck using either my old EVGA GTX 780 3G or my sons old EVGA GTX 960 2G. I have looked at some old reviews and it seems that the 780 would be somewaht faster but it's really a toss-up. What do you guys think would be the better choice for 1080p gaming?

In terms of performance the 780 is clearly the way to go.

But unfortunately Nvidia dropped support for most of the 600 and 700 series cards from the current driver. As of today, the latest Nvidia driver is 497.29, while the latest driver for the 780 is 472.12. It's not too bad at the moment, because 472.12 is still only just a few months old, and it at least has official Windows 11 support, but you might run into issues in the future as the driver gets older and older and will not contain fixes for newer games, etc. It was a pretty dick move on Nvidia's part considering that more people than ever are stuck having to continue using older cards.

You could always ditch the GPU, shift that part of the budget over and use something like a Ryzen 5700G instead of that 3100, and just use the built-in graphics. The iGPU is actually decent compared to prior generations.

If this is just for temporary use over the next several months then I say 780. If this is going to be his GPU for the next couple of years I would go for the 960 for the driver support.

Gaming? 780
Desktop use? 960

2GB is not going to be enough unless you limit yourself to 1280x1024

Yeah the driver won't be a problem if you are playing older games, but sometimes games won't work if you don't get the latest driver. So I say 780 if you are only playing older titles, 960 if you are playing lots of new stuff or plan to play games released in 2022.

GTX 960 because of the driver thing.

And also because it is the bare minimum to get support for FSR (which really repaves the playing field in newer games)

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at a comfortable 40 fps 1080p Ultra FSR nearly maxed-out on my GTX 960!

Don't worry about the smaller VRAM , as the impressive compression on 960 gives you almost the same real-world capacity!

Last edited:
Back