EVGA G5 1000W noisy.... What options are there

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
What are other good ~1000w options that are efficient and a bit quieter? at low-medium load the loudest thing in my rig is the power supply :)

The P5 is on sale for $199 but I don't know if that is any better as it's part of the same generation.

Send it back. Tell them its the loudest component in your otherwise silent rig and your forced to look at other manufacturers as a result. Maybe being specific as to what your thinking about buying will speed their response.
Tell them you would appreciate it if they tested the replacement unit, rather than shipping a nib unit that may have the same issue. Or ask for a g2 1000.
If you're set on getting another unit, check out a seasonic gx-1000. Very quiet at all loads/fan speeds and die hard. The prime tx series is also excellent but very hard to find and much more expensive.
Evgas g2 1000 is still a top notch option and despite what some misinformed may say, they are still being built by superflower. If you can catch a deal on one they are a great quiet psu.

I would suspect the crappy stamped fan grille has a lot to do with the noise. The perpendicular supports on the grille are going to cause air to be chopped and create an annoying tone or whirring/buzzing. This is how old motor driven air raid sirens worked.

It looks like the grille might be removable with four screws? This will also drop the fan, so you'll have to screw it back in after the grille is removed. You could try it without the grille and see if it gets any quieter. If it does, you could replace the grille with a wire mesh one, which should reduce the noise and allow better airflow from less restrictions.

That PSU uses an oddball 135mm fan, maybe 140mm wire grilles could be modified to work?
https://www.amazon.com/140mm-Black-...eywords=135mm+fan+grill&qid=1633479964&sr=8-6

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
G3 is sold out :( GiGaBiTe from reviews I read, it seems it is loud.

It has the same crappy grille that the G5 does, so no surprise.

I don't like EVGA supplies because the two I bought from them both blew up after just a few days of barely any use. Didn't try to make them do anything hard either, just typical office pc use.

It has the same crappy grille that the G5 does, so no surprise.

I don't like EVGA supplies because the two I bought from them both blew up after just a few days of barely any use. Didn't try to make them do anything hard either, just typical office pc use.

No sorry, I mean the G5 is loud :p the G3 is said to be quieter
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g5-power-supply,6337-5.html
From Toms:
YsQvBrDyAvvbcoceThHoia-970-80.png

I may just bite the bullet and go for the 2021 version of the RMX1000. IT seems that it is 20~ db quieter and just as efficient. I'll have to redo all the cable management which is already giving me a headache :D

odd i have this in my 7980xe rig its pulling nearly 700w and the noisiest thing in there is the poor aio trying to keep up. i have it in my pyramid pc build. i have the 650 on my bench as a testing unit and the 850 in my wifes rig they are all silent. i havea G2 1000 on my main Bench PC x299 evga Dark, 7900x i9, i changed out the fan as it was starting to go.

I recently swapped out a Seasonic Platinum 850 watt to a Super Flower Platinum 1000w due to the coil whine. The Super Flower is near silent if you put it in hybrid mode otherwise it pretty damn loud. Pretty damn good PSU for $200.

Last edited:
I did the same thing recently with the super flower 1000w Platinum SE. Previous Seasonic had noticeable coil whine, this one doesn't.

Back