EVGA 3080 ti failure troublshooting

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Was playing Atomic Heart tonight and the whole computer restarted mid game. No display after reboot. Power cycled several times and nothing but could hear Windows booting, could ping the machine from another computer. Changed from one displayport to another and that got me so I could get into the bios no problem. Fails shortly after the spinny thing when Windows tries to boot. Reset motherboard bios to defaults, same thing. Fans spin up on the card so it is getting power.
Removed the card and all memory modules, reseat them, still nothing but BIOS. Pull the card and replace it with my old EVGA 1080 ti FE and everything works fine. So I think the power supply is fine.

Thinking I need to RMA it but EVGA website is down right now. So thought I'd check if anyone has had a similar situation or any great ideas to try. I don't have another power supply or computer with dual 8 pin VGA cables to try.

Card isn't even a year old. Bought new from Amazon in August 2022. EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti XC3 Ultra Gaming, 12G-P5-3955-KR

1682655874967.png

Last edited:
Ppl should band together to request/issue some kind of recall on the XC series of cards - there's fan problem reports all over the place - various forums etc. - buyers/owners of the XC series from 3060s and up have had problems with the fan - from unwanted noise to heat/temp issues. This includes the XC3.
I know this doesn't sound exactly like your issue - but, my point is, I think EVGA dropped the ball on QC on this series of card. There's a few complaints regarding the FTW3 series, too.
Sounds like you need to RMA it.

Update as of this morning. I'm pretty sure it's dead. Forgot I had a machine at work with a 600 watt PSU in it. Throw the card in there and again can get into BIOS for awhile. I got as far as starting a windows install on it and I lose the display shortly after creating partitions.

Going to have to RMA it. There's no better test that I can think of. The display works for a bit but then the computer restarts and I can't get the display back unless I power off. Then fire it back up. Works for a few minutes then black screen.

Edit. Does the same thing if I boot to Linux via USB or if I sit in BIOS for awhile. Black screen after 1-4 minutes and will not come back until I power cycle it. Rinse and repeat. I might be smelling a little ozone too but my testing machine is brand new, might just be that new component smell.

Last edited:
Sounds dead to me. Hopefully you can get through to EVGA to RMA soon.

My EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming was sort of similar, but maybe not exactly as you are describing. For me, I would be playing a game, the screen would go blank, the fans would go into turbo mode, you could still hear the game, and then it would eventually crash. Rebooting solved it for a little while, but then it eventually just stopped displaying anything and I RMA'd the card successfully with EVGA. I had to pay shipping, which from Canada with insurance etc. was close to $200 if I recall, other than that they had a replacement card to me fairly quickly and I haven't had any issues with the replacement card.

Good luck.

I submitted a question to them with basically the same details in this post. That appears to be their ticket system. Here's hoping they have stock.
Looks like I've registered six video cards with them over the years going back to the 7800 GT.
2x 7800 GT
GTX 260
GTX 970
GTX 1080 ti
3080 ti.

Just to post a final update. EVGA RMA went fine and they replaced it with another of the same model 3080 ti. Got the replacement yesterday 5/11, reported the issue 4/28. Didn't need an advanced replacement as I had an old card.

Been playing Death Stranding and the replacement card is now experiencing the same issues as the original. Not yet completely failed but the pattern is identical. First crash to desktop while gaming. Did that a few times per day. Now today it has started completely restarting the computer while gaming. Last time around it did that a few times before failing completely. Entering another RMA w/ EVGA and hoping they will provide a replacement before I brick it again.

Auch, sorry to hear that. Maybe EVGA can give you another model, FTW for instance.

At somepoint i'd also consider selling it and getting something else if you have the budget.

EVGA is doing an advanced replacement this time. Not sure what they are sending but assume it's the same model. I thought about changing it but I don't like the cards or the prices available today. Would be buying into a generation 6-10 months old already.

I've thought about changing the PSU but it still has 3.5 years warranty out of 10. It's an EVGA unit as well. I hate to burn up $200-$300 as a preventative measure. My wife will get this computer minus the GPU as a hand-me-down. Maybe it's time to just build all new. Haven't done that in a very long time.

I've thought about changing the PSU but it still has 3.5 years warranty out of 10. It's an EVGA unit as well. I hate to burn up $200-$300 as a preventative measure. My wife will get this computer minus the GPU as a hand-me-down. Maybe it's time to just build all new. Haven't done that in a very long time.
Get you a nice ATX 3.0 psu on general principle, EVGA is in it's death throes and that psu warranty won't be worth as much as toilet paper soon.

There were issues sopecifically with 850 watt evga units and 3090's from the power draw. It was specifically evga 850 units but I do not have the model handy.

And that 10 year warranty is now garbage. Put the PSU in a less powerful machine and buy a nice newer power supply from a company that will be around to actually service the warranty if needed. May save you some headaches. And quality PSU prices have gone down drastically compared to a few years ago.

Been playing Death Stranding and the replacement card is now experiencing the same issues as the original. Not yet completely failed but the pattern is identical. First crash to desktop while gaming. Did that a few times per day. Now today it has started completely restarting the computer while gaming. Last time around it did that a few times before failing completely. Entering another RMA w/ EVGA and hoping they will provide a replacement before I brick it again.
Install GPU-Z

Launch it, go to sensors, click in all of the fields for voltages, and click until you see Min. This will record the minimum voltage seen by the card. Then go play games. If you know the pattern of crashing, be sure to exit the game before that and check the minimum observed voltages. If it's dropping to 11.0 you need a new Power Supply.

1693538365347.png

No idea how your PSU handles over current protection. Typically if it's over current protection tripping you have to manually flip the switch on the PSU to reset it before you can power back on. That being said, if you have an older 850w PSU it will likely have issues with the 3080ti. My original model Seasonic 850w prime titanium would randomly shut off with my 3080ti at the time. Only resolution was RMA'ing with Seasonic and getting the updated model where they fixed the over current protection sensitivity.

Back