Evga 1000GQ PSU

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
My rig as been running excellent up to when I upgraded my video card from an Evga 1080Ti Hybrid ( power hog & room heater) to an Evga 3080 12G Hydro Copper with the Evga 1000GQ power supply. Any time I put a heavy load on the 3080 (gaming) my rig shits the bed. These are the issues:

Game kicks me out to desktop
Game crashes, gets locked, machine gun sound
Rig hard locks
Rig reboots

I've never had any issues with the 1080Ti and the 1000GQ.

I started an RMA with Evga and they were on point. Got refurbed 1000GQ replacement within a week. Sad part is the replacement is just as bad with the same issues. I emailed Evga and explained the problem about the RMA replacement they sent. I hope they help me out and send me a different model. My guess is the transient spikes from the 3080 is too much for a mid tier 1k psu.

I might have to purchase a new psu, so any suggestions? TIA

My rig as been running excellent up to when I upgraded my video card from an Evga 1080Ti Hybrid ( power hog & room heater) to an Evga 3080 12G Hydro Copper with the Evga 1000GQ power supply. Any time I put a heavy load on the 3080 (gaming) my rig shits the bed. These are the issues:

Game kicks me out to desktop
Game crashes, gets locked, machine gun sound
Rig hard locks
Rig reboots

I've never had any issues with the 1080Ti and the 1000GQ.

I started an RMA with Evga and they were on point. Got refurbed 1000GQ replacement within a week. Sad part is the replacement is just as bad with the same issues. I emailed Evga and explained the problem about the RMA replacement they sent. I hope they help me out and send me a different model. My guess is the transient spikes from the 3080 is too much for a mid tier 1k psu.

I might have to purchase a new psu, so any suggestions? TIA

If you have to go with another EVGA I would look at a g6 or 7. Preferably a 7 (FSP) being that it's a brand new platform that's been built to compete with baddest of the bad and does apparently. There aren't many reviews but don't let the oem or price stop you. It's as good as EVGA has going right now.
The g6 (Seasonic focus platform) series is harder to pin down because there's no telling when it may have been manufactured. The older it is the more likely it is to have the same problem but to a lesser extent as your GQ. Seeing how EVGA 1000+ watt g6 units sellout on Amazon frequently there's a good chance you will get a newer (2020 or later) unit.
If you can get whatever... Seasonic, Corsair, bequiet! and Superflower have all addressed the spiking issue in their high end units.

*Update*

Ordered. Also going through an RMA with EVGA about the 1K unit. The replacement they sent was an identical refurb which was worse than the original I sent in. Shipping back the replacement pos. Unsure which other 1k unit they're going to send to me.

Got the new PSU this morning. However Amazon must be cutting down on shipping boxes. Those fucknuts just slapped a shipping label on the original box and shipped it right out :rage:

Attachments

• psu2.jpg
    psu2.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 0
Got the new PSU this morning. However Amazon must be cutting down on shipping boxes. Those fucknuts just slapped a shipping label on the original box and shipped it right out :rage:
I don't know whats worse tbh. Usually they put them in a box that's 2x to big with a strip of flat air packers.
Here's to hoping it didn't get busted up during it's journey.
GL!

Well good news! It didn't explode! So far working just fine. Played a few games and max draw out the wall was 590w.

My 2nd RMA shipped back out on the 2nd. Still on the move. Expected to get there by Friday.

Welp, it's a confirmed kill. Dam EVGA shipped out another 1000GQ :rolleyes: I dunno what I'm going to do with it.

Maybe take it to the range and put a full holes in it while I record it and then send the video to EVGA's RMA department to show my gratitude :mad:

I have no idea why they keep shipping out PSU that has known issues with my rig. Fucking dumbasses.

Time to cut your losses and move it on down the line :(
Nah, fuck that. Go to their forum and start a thread in the psu section. Explain your situation from start to finish including the fact that you've been forced to replace a BRAND NEW but repeatedly failing unit over and over. Emphasis your ability to replicate the exact same failure with every single replacement unit. Then make sure you mention your absolutely baffled as to why they continue to replace the unit with the same psu series that is obviously going to fail when combined with your gear. Tell them you expected the legendary EVGA tech support but have been utterly disappointed so far! I guarantee one of the mods/tech support cats will take care of you.

I already fired off an email to EVGA's tech person explaining my disgust to know they shipped out another exact unit that it's certain will fail again. I also told them I was using an 850 GA unit that ran my rig without issue. I also told them I purchased the 850 P6 unit because I needed my rig for work.

At this point when I get the box and open it, we'll see if it's brand new sealed, or another refurb. :ROFLMAO:

Update:

" It looks like with the last unit we had sent to you was a refurbished model and we had you send in your cables so we can test them to determine if it was a cable issue. For this next replacement it looks like we are sending you a new in box unit with all new cables that should have significantly lower chances of receiving a PSU with issues. As there is no reported issues with this particular model and certain components, we believe the issue lied with either your cables or the replacement we had sent out to you.

As this is a new unit I would suggest at least trying it in your system to see if you can replicate the issue. If the issue is still present, or you are concerned about using another 1000 GQ in your system, please reach back out to us upon arrival of the replacement and we would be happy to reach out to a supervisor to discuss options for replacement. We apologize for any inconvinience, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
EVGA "

Alrighty then.

Honestly does seem strange. I've run a 3090/5600x for over a year now on an 850w GQ with 0 issues. They're great PSU's, I've used a bunch for mining as well and they've been absolute tanks. Not a single failure/issue out of 15+ various GQ units. About half were B stock as well.

Regardless, EVGA customer support is S tier and taking care of you, at least.

Yeah I've been having issues since I upgraded from the 1080Ti Hybrid to the 3080 FTW3 Hydro Copper and the GQ power supply. I've read alot on EVGA's forums about other people using the GQ unit with what video card and for the most part are solid built FSP, but I haven't been as lucky as those are. For the most part EVGA is helping me out, well sort-of. I just got the new GQ unit today. I know I should test it out at least. I'm already $50 in the hole with shipping my original unit back. I know EVGA has solid units and even with this fiasco I went ahead and purchased the 850 P6 to show my loyalty instead of going to a different brand.

I'll update this thread after my initial testing of the GQ unit they shipped to me.

Got the replacement today. Decided to just test it and see. Swapped it out. Fired rig up fine. Started FC4 on Steam just for shits and grins.. Played 5 minutes. Screen Froze, then went black. Hard reboot and screen is back.

Yup, nice...real nice

I made a thread about the 1000gq, lol

Pc wouldn't start with the 3080ti. Turned on with a newer evga 750w.

So yeah, don't think it can handle some of the newer/bigger cards. I'm buying a rmx1000 to replace it

This is exactly what I keep repeating to those numbnuts. 3 different 1000GQ units and they cannot hold up to the power spikes/draw from my 3080. I put my son's 850 GA and it runs fine. Currently using the 850 P6.

Again they approved the RMA. This is their reply:

Hello,

Sorry you are still having issues with the 1000w GQ power supply. The power supply you sent us passed all our testing, and each unit is tested before shipping out. That said, I've set up a new RMA for you so we can get another model power supply sent out. You should have a Step 1 confirmation email. Once the RMA is approved you'll receive a Step 2 email with packing and shipping instructions. We'll also be providing another shipping label for this replacement, it will come as a separate email from UPS, not EVGA directly. I've also upgraded the shipping speed for this next RMA to help reduce any downtime. I apologize for any inconvenience.

And I keep repeating myself that the 1000GQ is not up to the task and cannot handle the 3080. This time I told them I don't want another GQ, to send me any other 1000w unit that can handle the 3080. I also told them I am not going to build another rig to use the GQ unit in because the 1000GQ unit cannot handle my current rig. I dunno what else these people want from me.

*Update*

Got a shipping invoice from EVGA. Looks like they're sending me a 1000 watter G5. Still an FSP build. Guess this is the best it's gonna get. I have til Oct. 4th to return the P6 back to amazon for a refund. Sad part is the G5 won't arrive til the 4th.

Decisions decisions..

I had a 850W GQ and it would shit the bed when gaming on a 3090. Transient spikes with Ampere are very real. I upgraded to the EVGA 1200W Platinum and never had the issue again.

Edit: I should note that the rest of the system was "well within" the limits of 850W. I think I had a 5600x and a single NVMe drive with no HDDs and a couple fans. Should have been plenty of power for a 3090. The spikes killed me.

Last edited:
Got the replacement today. 1000 G5. Shippers gouged the front of the box and laid it facedown in the shipping box. Slick fuckers. Should I try it out in my rig? It may or may not fix the issues I've been having with the GQ crapbox and my 3080.

IMG_20221004_115931_1.jpg

Am I the only one thinking the gpu might be at fault?
Actually no. The thought has crossed my mind a few times. My thinking is: "It's brand freakin' new, why should it be faulty"?

Swapped the psu out. Currently running a few games to see how it holds up. Will report back.

Welp, final insult:

FC6--Hard crash
FC5 - original - ok --addons= crash
FC4 -- Ok
Generation Zero --ok
Strange Brigade -ok
TC BreakPoint -- ok
TC Wildlands --Crash

That's my testing with the new G5 unit. What I can say for certain is Breakpoint was crashing, but somehow repaired itself. Wildlands is still fucked.

Yeah I kept the P6. Badass psu that deserves to be kept. So far the 1000 G5 is working fine. Not as hefty in weight-class as the P6.

Ok here's the final word on this. PSU works great. No issues as far as power is concerned. As far as weight is concerned: The P6 (Seasonic build) weighs alot more than the G5 (FSP build). Both units are the same size physically.

Issues are game related. I tried just about everything I know and then some to fix as many borked games as possible. Out of 10 games, 3 remain borked ( FC5 addon; Hours of Darkness ) crashes or hardlocks. FC6 crashes or hardlocks. TC Wildlands still crashes. TC Breakpoint runs fine, go figure. So 7 games thus far run fine, 3 do not.

Last 3 parts left of the rig is CPU, GPU and Mobo. I've swapped Power Supplies, ram, harddrives. I've done 2 total reinstalls from scratch. No images. I've broken the raid array and installed games on a single 500gb just to rule out raid issues. Same games run fine, same 3 do not. Recreated the new array and reinstalled the games from scratch. Will continue to install other games to see if any are borked as well. As for power issues, the G5 is running the rig fine for now. I can swap video cards and toss the 1080Ti back in if the issue is with the 3080. I'm hoping not, but anything is possible, right?. Don't have any means to test Cpu in another board and vise-versa with the mobo.

So that's where I'm at.

*Update*

Ran the 1000watter G5 for a couple of days. PSU works great, but under heavy gaming the fan gets quite loud. Swapped back to the 850watter P6. I guess that's that.

I had issues with AC: Valhalla that only reared itself when using eagle vision. I'm guessing that the 1000W G5 has a slightly better tolerance for the Ampere spikes than the GQ.

I've found that the EVGA platinum PSUs do better with Ampere power spikes than their GQ PSUs do. Shame about the loud fan though.

I had issues with AC: Valhalla that only reared itself when using eagle vision. I'm guessing that the 1000W G5 has a slightly better tolerance for the Ampere spikes than the GQ.

I've found that the EVGA platinum PSUs do better with Ampere power spikes than their GQ PSUs do. Shame about the loud fan though.
Yeah, that's my assessment too. I think I saw, on EVGA's forums, a thread about what PSU works with what 3xxx series cards. Only 1 person was using a 1000GQ with a 3080 10G card. Thread was something like 6-7 pages long.

I like the G5. One of FSP's better builds. Yeah, too bad about the fan.

Back