Evga 1000 g3 popped! Replacing with 1200w p2 or 1600w g2

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
So this is so weird.
My computer was giving me some issues booting yesterday like ntfs.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.

This started just yesterday and all I was doing was testing my radiator fans pull and push then running benchmarks. I thought it may be nvme or RAM related so yesterday I reseat the RAM and it seems to be back to normal rebooting normally without the error.

This morning I wanted to make sure it was all good so I was running one 3Dmark test to see and suddenly the monitor went black and I
thought it was going to reboot but suddenly I hard this POP and saw kind of a flash of light from where I think was the PSU rear part and
the breaker in the room tripped.

Of course, now I am dying to find out what if anything else died and no idea what happened here. Was the PSU just failing to handle my
gear? It is a 5950x and an Asus strix RTX 3080 with many HDDs.

So I want to test my system immediately and my only options locally is a local seller selling used PSUs...he has the eVGA 1600W G2 and the
1200W P2. It seems the P2 and G3 use the same cables although I may not want to reuse the cables after the experience or at least not the
main cables but maybe just keep the sata cables from the G3 since it was a pain to wire all the HDDs and hide cables.

So confusing as to what happened here. :/

I've had my PSU pop before when I plugged in one of the fans to the motherboard wrong, only the PSU died in that instance though nothing else.

It sounds like you had a pretty loaded setup and 3dmark was the straw that broke the camel's back. Though the PSU shouldn't have exploded, unless maybe peak power demand was so rapid the OCP couldn't trip in time and shut the PSU off before component failure happened.

If the mains breaker blew, something on the primary side of the PSU failed. The pop and flash could have been the fuse, or one of the primary mosfets. Hard to know without tearing the supply down and doing an autopsy. Tearing down failed PSUs is always fun to see what blew up.

You shouldn't have been anywhere close to 1000 watts unless you were running at least 30 hard drives. 300 watts conservative overestimate for the 5950x assuming overclock (150 watts stock), and 400 watts conservative overestimate for the RTX 3080 (300 watts stock) leaves you at 700 watts, with 300 watts of headroom conservatively speaking. Hard drives average 5-15 watts, depending on type, and are heavy on the 5v rail.

Sounds more like either something was plugged in wrong or you just got unlucky. OCP and OPP protections simply shut down the PSU, they do not cause a flash of light and complete failure.

You shouldn't have been anywhere close to 1000 watts unless you were running at least 30 hard drives. 300 watts conservative overestimate for the 5950x assuming overclock (150 watts stock), and 400 watts conservative overestimate for the RTX 3080 (300 watts stock) leaves you at 700 watts, with 300 watts of headroom conservatively speaking. Hard drives average 5-15 watts, depending on type, and are heavy on the 5v rail.

Sounds more like either something was plugged in wrong or you just got unlucky. OCP and OPP protections simply shut down the PSU, they do not cause a flash of light and complete failure.
Surely nothing plugged in wrong so looks like it was just one of those odd failures. Luckily I tested with the 1200 P2 and the machine is back at full force so nothing damaged. Now sending the 1000 G3 back for RMA. So many years working on computers and the first time I get a PSU to do this.. It was interesting although not exactly FUN lol

That's a small load on the psu. Since it died and saved the rest of the system that's a positive. You might want to invest in a ups.

Even the best psu's fail. Had a Seasonic Prime titanium whatever fail after two years, running 16 HDD. Tons of the good magic smoke. Luckily it didn't take anything with it, hopefully you're okay too.

Even the best psu's fail. Had a Seasonic Prime titanium whatever fail after two years, running 16 HDD. Tons of the good magic smoke. Luckily it didn't take anything with it, hopefully you're okay too.
Yep all running perfectly fine. Even the suddenly lots of random BSODs I started getting booting up went away. I was worried it was RAM or NVME but looks like it was a failing PSU somehow as after swapping to a 1200 P2, not a single error.

Yep all running perfectly fine. Even the suddenly lots of random BSODs I started getting booting up went away. I was worried it was RAM or NVME but looks like it was a failing PSU somehow as after swapping to a 1200 P2, not a single error.

Unstable power rails can definitely cause erratic behavior, and it affects every powered device differently. One of the most bizarre I ever saw was an old Shuttle XPC with a bad Flex ATX power supply (leaking capacitors.) The machine would run perfectly fine UNLESS you tried to open the control panel and only the control panel, which would crash the machine with colored jail bars. Recapped the supply and it served the remainder of its life trouble free.

Gotta be a faulty power supply. I have an overclocked 9900k and an overclocked(now) 1080ti and I don’t pull more than 500w at the wall.

Power surge coulda popped that psu easy.

You got a back up battery with AVR?

I do now and replaced the psu with a 1600 p2.
Evga just sent me a replacement for the 1000 g3 but looks like they are sending a 1000 g5 which from what I saw is far inferior to the g3 i had before.

I do now and replaced the psu with a 1600 p2.
Evga just sent me a replacement for the 1000 g3 but looks like they are sending a 1000 g5 which from what I saw is far inferior to the g3 i had before.
How is it inferior in your estimation?

Sucks

How is it inferior in your estimation?

Sucks
Toms review for example

Noisy
Increased Vampire Power
Poor transient response
18AWG gauges
Lower than 70% efficiency with 2% load
No Alternative Sleep Mode support
Ripple with 110% load

Such a shame cause the g3 was fantastic.

AVR? What is that other then Audio Video Receiver or as any acronym more then one meaning?
I have a CyberPower PR750LCD that I just replaced both batteries it was tossed away with a label saying (Will not power on) both batteries where dead and the fuse between them (60A Maxi fuse) was blown how much current does that inverter use anyway? if a 60A fuse can blow!
The inside is clean no overheated looking parts
The interface was set to power on only at 100% battery and coldstart disabled hence the "Will not Power on" label so many UPS units are tossed due to bad batteries same with printers when out of ink or toner out they go!

Automatic voltage regulation is what it means in UPS terms.

It's not perfect but it can stop dirty power or spikes from harming electronics. Usually it will come with insurance to replace bad parts as well

Automatic voltage regulation is what it means in UPS terms.

It's not perfect but it can stop dirty power or spikes from harming electronics. Usually it will come with insurance to replace bad parts as well

OK Thanks I wonder does the PR750LCD one I found have it?
I also wonder where to obtain a new LCD as the one on it is mostly unreadable it looks to be a 2x16 with 16 pins in a single row I took apart the removable panel it is attached by an 8 pin RJ45 plug on the UPS end and a header on the panels end.

Back