Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stretching the legs on your 1080ti by an O/C is not an 85% FPS improvement like moving to a 3080.

I have 80 hours in cyberpunk. The first 30-40 hours were with a 1080ti optimized as much as I could make it with a mixture of medium and high settings at 3440x1440 at 30-40FPS.

I got a 3080 and cranked everything to max including RTX and get 60FPS. No amount of optimization on the 1080ti was going to make Cyberpunk as enjoyable as the 3080. That being said Cyberpunk is the only game I’ve played were 1080ti was insufficient. So moral of the story — don’t play it unless you want to reignite the fire to upgrade hardware.

Which is why I have 2x 1080Ti's running in SLI.

My main motivation to get a newer faster card is to get off SLI.. it can and has been a pain at times.

But the performance is still pretty darn good. The Fastest 2080Ti could not outrun my SLI setup so I skipped it.

Cyberpunk not on my current play list, going to do Metro Exodus first.

Wow. A 1650 Super I bought from Best Buy on Jan 1 for $170 has been in stock a few times since then. It is in stock now, for $220.

I wonder when this market will "return to normal?" In time for Christmas 2021? I fear this will be a protracted, year-long shortage.

Edit: 5 minutes after I posted this, the 1650 Super went out of stock on Best Buy's website.

Perhaps my guess for March is incorrect. Was shooting by then to get something. not looking good though.

Wow. A 1650 Super I bought from Best Buy on Jan 1 for $170 has been in stock a few times since then. It is in stock now, for $220.

I wonder when this market will "return to normal?" In time for Christmas 2021? I fear this will be a protracted, year-long shortage.

Edit: 5 minutes after I posted this, the 1650 Super went out of stock on Best Buy's website.

Bitcoin has been breaking out.. due for a slight pullback but if it keeps going into the 50k range.. it's gonna be a while before we see normal GPU prices/stock.

Reactions: x509
like this
i *insert choice words* dont work for bitcoin. :mad:
I don't either, but, maybe we should all start using our machines for it while we aren't using them. I guess, if you can't beat them, join them and try to ride the mining to save up and pay a scalper for a card.

The new laptop prices look reasonable. May have to buy a laptop to get a new gpu...

I wanted a new GPU for Cyberpunk 2077...but that game needs a few more patches so I didn't mind waiting...by the time February/March rolls around the availability should be better and there should be newer, better cards on the horizon as well- 3080 Ti, 3070 Super, maybe TSMC cards

I wanted a new GPU for Cyberpunk 2077...but that game needs a few more patches so I didn't mind waiting...by the time February/March rolls around the availability should be better and there should be newer, better cards on the horizon as well- 3080 Ti, 3070 Super, maybe TSMC cards
I wouldn't count on that. Only new card announced is the 3060.

Nvidia has literally zero incentive to sell 102 dies as cheaper 3080 Tis when gamers are seemingly ok with ponying up and buying 3090's.

I don't either, but, maybe we should all start using our machines for it while we aren't using them. I guess, if you can't beat them, join them and try to ride the mining to save up and pay a scalper for a card.

I'd rather invest my time into scamming a scalper. I think I have a good way to do it just not sure how low I want to stoop. I do loathe those slimeballs and don't look at them as real humans so there's that...

I'd rather invest my time into scamming a scalper. I think I have a good way to do it just not sure how low I want to stoop. I do loathe those slimeballs and don't look at them as real humans so there's that...
Wow... Just lol. I can understand why scalpers do what they do but scamming is disgusting.

Last edited:
3090s drop all day long on NE for those who want to spend 2k, 3070 bundles in the 700 range are common too. Beats a scalper on ebay by a mile.

3090s drop all day long on NE for those who want to spend 2k, 3070 bundles in the 700 range are common too. Beats a scalper on ebay by a mile.

3070's do drop, but they stay in stock sometimes what feels like 10 seconds. Todays 3070/3060ti drop was decent and I could have gotten a bundle (they didn't immediately run out). The 3090's on the other hand are pretty easy to get if you are using one of the discord monitoring channels. You also get an occasional card that lasts 10-20 minutes (Example the xfx 6800 (non-xt), it was priced a cool low price of 900 or the 6900xt saphire nitro oc for another low price of 1449)

Random favorite thing is when the zotac usa site gets hammered and turns into a tater tot. Sure sometimes I could add stuff, but actually getting through checkout, never happened for me. I remember the newegg 3080 launch it was awsome.

Looking is over because yesterday I was finally able to get get an rtx 3080 (it's not the strix I wanted, but well whatever). Since I'm not putting it on water, it's not going to make a real difference. The biggest barrier for me getting a card was that I work during the bigger drops.

Originally I was trying to get a 6800xt, but... well...

So like I said earlier in one of the threads, whoever has a card in stock that I can get close to current msrp gets my money.

*yea I'm annoyed msrp went up, but tariff/taxes are always a thing so shrug*

Didn't Nvidia recently make a comment that supply won't be good till late April / early May.

Checked the local Micro Center's stock on a whim, and...

Micro Center GPU stock in January 2021.png

Yeah, all of 15 cards in stock, all low-end stuff months after all those new GPUs allegedly launched! There's plenty of CPUs, RAM, SSDs, mobos, etc. in stock, but god help you if you want a new graphics card without buying an entire desktop computer...

Let's see how this screenshot ages in a year or two.

Checked the local Micro Center's stock on a whim, and...

View attachment 320653

Yeah, all of 15 cards in stock, all low-end stuff months after all those new GPUs allegedly launched! There's plenty of CPUs, RAM, SSDs, mobos, etc. in stock, but god help you if you want a new graphics card without buying an entire desktop computer...

Let's see how this screenshot ages in a year or two.

The website was never up to date at my store. Those days I did pick up my RTX 3080 are 3070s the web site never listed them in stock or even mentioned the specific brand cards.

They'd come in the morning on the truck and be spoken for and sold within an hour or two. So fast the website didn't even list them.

So the website is clueless on what they actually have in store shelves.

The website was never up to date at my store. Those days I did pick up my RTX 3080 are 3070s the web site never listed them in stock or even mentioned the specific brand cards.

They'd come in the morning on the truck and be spoken for and sold within an hour or two. So fast the website didn't even list them.

So the website is clueless on what they actually have in store shelves.
I know the site's lied to me before when I've come in to investigate one particular card they said was in stock, and the staff mentioned that they definitely didn't have it and that their inventory/stock-keeping system has been giving them trouble with the rampant GPU demand.

Still, if what you say is true, then I pretty much have no choice but to camp out in the morning every Tuesday or whenever the truck shows up during the week, and that just can't happen with my work schedule. Taking time off and definitely losing money just to have a shot at buying a card via overnight camping is financially unwise at best, to say nothing of how it tends to fly in the face of social distancing with how many other people line up for a shot at buying one of these things.

I think with COVID and it being wintertime they give numbers or vouchers to buy the card once the store opens, allowing you to stay safe in your car. At least they how I thought they did it?

I was fortunate to live nearby a Microcenter and could check it on my lunch break, would take an early lunch those days and run by the store around 11:30am, and get lucky with cards still there

Back when I was building these new rigs and getting parts from like end Oct / mid Dec. The website never listed the RTX 3000 cards on the site and in stock, they weren't even showing up ever online. But I know they'd get a delivery truck of a hundred cards or so every week, but they'dbe sold out in hours.

Last edited:
I think with COVID and it being wintertime they give numbers or vouchers to buy the card once the store opens, allowing you to stay safe in your car. At least they how I thought they did it?

I was fortunate to live nearby a Microcenter and could check it on my lunch break, would take an early lunch those days and run by the store around 11:30am, and get lucky with cards still there

Back when I was building these new rigs and getting parts from like end Oct / mid Dec. The website never listed the RTX 3000 cards on the site and in stock, they weren't even showing up ever online. But I know they'd get a delivery truck of a hundred cards or so every week, but they'dbe sold out in hours.
So some people are getting cards. Just not any of us here in this forum.

My process lately:

1. don’t look for cards, there’s none.
2. but maybe I get lucky with timing...
3. Ok we’ll look for a little bit
4. Get angry that everything is sold out, though I already knew it.
5. Give up, expect to buy something in a few months.

This cycle repeats... every 3 days or so, since November.

My process lately:

1. don’t look for cards, there’s none.
2. but maybe I get lucky with timing...
3. Ok we’ll look for a little bit
4. Get angry that everything is sold out, though I already knew it.
5. Give up, expect to buy something in a few months.

This cycle repeats... every 3 days or so, since November.

My Process lately

We've come full circle. The PC environment has gone from being affordable, back to being only for the "rich" and elitist.

Time to find a new hobby.

Time to find a new hobby.
Consoles are waiting for you! And they're pretty good this time around. Well, you'll also be waiting on them, until you can get your hands on one, but still.
I just came to terms with the fact that I don't *need* a new PC. The whole upgraditis is a curse, things are working good enough.
Yes... but also no. I can work with this computer for another year, sure. But I'd rather not extend my 1060 into a 5th year, and have to run games at 900p or 720p. Doable, but... eh.

Consoles are waiting for you! And they're pretty good this time around. Well, you'll also be waiting on them, until you can get your hands on one, but still.
I haven't be interested in a new console since the PS2. I do enjoy building retro consoles with Single Board Computers as of late though. I currently have a rebuilt PS1 using a Raspberry Pi 4 and a Sega Saturn using a Odroid N2+. Having fun with a TurboGrafx PC Engine at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back