Enough Radiator?

So in my mining card decommissioning project, I have a couple 3080s on full cover water blocks. I am going to put one on my son's machine, which currently is a 3600xt. I can cram a 240 on the top and a 120 in the rear. Is that going to be enough for those to components?

yes, just wont have the lowest temps. also, depending on your setup, fan control/balance can be a bit of a bitch.

You will be fine. Better than air but not by a big margin but noise levels will be much lower. A small under volt to the 3080 will do wonders to reduce power draw if you some head-room

Yeah, this isn't working. A 120mm will not fit in the back.

My son is wed to this old freebie. I asked (again) if I could replace it. Nope.

So thought here...get a new case and put all the rads and stuff in it and put it under or beside or on a shelf in close proximity to the loved oldie. Then, just run some tubing out the backs through the pci slots. A case is cheaper than those radiator boxes. Then hopefully eventually migrate out of the old one.

20220928_084141.jpg
20220928_084152.jpg

jesus, that things from like 2003....
could mount rads on top like back then.

jesus, that things from like 2003....
could mount rads on top like back then.
Yes, it is an oldie, but it was a freebie. My guess is they are circa 2012 or so seeing they used to have FX-4300s in them when I grabbed it and actually two others from the scrap bin at work about two years ago. One is my emby server, a task it is well suited seeing it has a big old 3.5in rack inside where I have five HDDs installed. ANYWAY, the third, I did try modding some. I drilled a crap ton of holes in the stop to be able to mount a 240mm rad on the top. Then I figured I could do a 120mm on the back. WRONG. It won't fit in the spot where a 120mm fan goes. On the outside it would go over the case side panel. The front is out...That is where I have to put the pump. Then there is the inside side...well, the case isn't wide enough for a bunch of stuff inside. I really don't want to really be outside...the case is supposed to protect stuff, right? Kids break stuff.

im sure i was building in those in the early '00s... anyway, could mount it at the bottom and add some 3" legs to the case. or put it all into a new case and tell him its what hes getting. put the ol' foot down....

Question would be why are they wed to that case? If you showed them some new cases, or take em to a computer store to see some new awesome cases..may work to get them to switch....

No clue why he is so attached to it...

I even tried this one to no avail...and he LOVES minecraft. Halloween costumes are even minecraft, but nope. That is a $50 skin on a lian li 011, which is more than I want to spend anyway.

il_1140xN.3628175640_qzvx[1].jpg

Anyway, I ordered a thermaltake V250 that does some cool RGB stuff to either be the case or house the rads and pump...

And then the psu may mysteriously migrate....and then the motherboard. Then just and empty shell case sitting there...and then eventually.......poof

Watercool the gpu, aircool the cpu seems like your easiest option if a 240 is all you can fit.
I would get a proper case and swap everything over while they are at school. Tell them old fumbly fingers dad broke the old case. There was no saving it.
;)

why that? itd be the exact same situation as it is now...

LOL, trying to get something the same vintage as his current case, but looks nice. Even has the solid side panel so you can give fuck all to cable management.

applegrcoug is this the case but in beige? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811154014R First on newegg in 2002

11-154-014-39.jpg

It was easy to find because I ordered one, then they lost it in transit. So I ordered my Dragon, which I still have and love.

Dang, shipping on that is $182.....

LOL, trying to get something the same vintage as his current case, but looks nice. Even has the solid side panel so you can give fuck all to cable management.

applegrcoug is this the case but in beige? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811154014R First on newegg in 2002

View attachment 514611

It was easy to find because I ordered one, then they lost it in transit. So I ordered my Dragon, which I still have and love.

That's it! it is an oldie.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah don’t really buy that, it was a joke. That said, it’s a classic case, but you never know what quality the plastic bezel is in. I’ve got a blue one that the plastic just crumbled on
I know.....just amazing that someone thinks they can sucker someone into that thing.

Dang this thread has devolved.

this is turning into more of a frustration thread I think....

Got everything swapped into the other case last night along with all the radiators and tubing and EVERYTHING...

So I start filling the loop with coolant and working to bleed the air out. Then I notice coolant is seeping from the bottom of the pump. Got the pump back out and I can not get it to stop the leak. No clue where it is even coming from; o-ring looks good, everything is seated properly, but yet a slight drip remains.

this is turning into more of a frustration thread I think....

Got everything swapped into the other case last night along with all the radiators and tubing and EVERYTHING...

So I start filling the loop with coolant and working to bleed the air out. Then I notice coolant is seeping from the bottom of the pump. Got the pump back out and I can not get it to stop the leak. No clue where it is even coming from; o-ring looks good, everything is seated properly, but yet a slight drip remains.
Don't cha just love custom water cooling!?

Don't cha just love custom water cooling!?
Ya know, I deal with water A LOT in my line of work. I am about to break ground on a reservoir that holds over 2 million gallons and has 24in pipe. I just ordered a Cornell 5RB pump capable of pumping 1500 gal/minute at like 60psi for this thing. I have pressure and flow things memorized...like 10ft of elevation equates to pressure loss/gain of 4.3psi. When something breaks or has sub optimal performance, I often know the fix easily. But yet, this little project at home is really testing me.
What kind of pump, is it a pump res combo?
I just got a barrow D5 with the reservoir that screws on.

To which, that does bring up an interesting troubleshooting step...connect a reservoir direct to the pump to verify where the leak originates.

I would check to make sure one of your fittings is not cross threaded and not properly sitting.

Ya know, I deal with water A LOT in my line of work. I am about to break ground on a reservoir that holds over 2 million gallons and has 24in pipe. I just ordered a Cornell 5RB pump capable of pumping 1500 gal/minute at like 60psi for this thing. I have pressure and flow things memorized...like 10ft of elevation equates to pressure loss/gain of 4.3psi. When something breaks or has sub optimal performance, I often know the fix easily. But yet, this little project at home is really testing me.

I just got a barrow D5 with the reservoir that screws on.

To which, that does bring up an interesting troubleshooting step...connect a reservoir direct to the pump to verify where the leak originates.
You may have mess with it a little to get the o-ring to seat properly. If they didn't tighten it enough or over tightened it. Both can cause it to seep a little.

Well, I think I finally got it all crammed in.
What a pita...no space to get a good spot to fill it with fluid. No space for anything it feels like.

Tomorrow I'll see if it actually boots...maybe run a test or something.

16645265389915432814334153735341.jpg

Well, I think I finally got it all crammed in.
What a pita...no space to get a good spot to fill it with fluid. No space for anything it feels like.

Tomorrow I'll see if it actually boots...maybe run a test or something.

View attachment 515029
That reminds of my good old days water cooling with Bonnie cores, White Water blocks, fish tank pumps.... I am showing my age a bit

Back