enough cooling?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
Hi guys. I'm out of my league and looking for advice. I have an AMD Threadripper 3970x on order (on backorder actually) that I am getting for use with 3ds Max and v-ray. It will do long renders for days/weeks. It will not be overclocked. I am concerned about cooling. The nice Cyberpower guy says the cooling system can render 24/7 no problem but some other people say it's not enough.
According to the CP builder site it's the only cooler on the list that will fit the case but according to the specs on the case website, many large coolers will fit the case, top and front even. http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Luxe-TemperedGlass.html
This is a lot of money for me so I don't want to make a costly mistake.
Nor do I want to change out the cooler after the fact on my own in such an expensive computer.

My specs:
CAS: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Full-size Tempered Glass Panel Window + RGB 10 Color LED Light Strip (Anthracite Gray)

CD: LG 16X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 3970X 3.7GHz [4.5GHz Turbo] 32Core 64Threads 144MB L3 Cache 280W Processor

CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Thermaltake Riing 12 Series High Static Pressure 120mm Case/Radiator Fan [+39] (Blue Color LED)

FAN: Asetek 570LC 120mm (Fatboy) Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2x CyberPowerPC 120mm Dual Light Loop ARGB 1200RPM Fans w/ Hub + Remote (Push-Pull) [+16])

HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/3300 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 600/550k [+137] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 545/525 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 100/80k [+6] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [-64] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
I will swap it out with 128GB 4X32GB when it arrives (3200MHz)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro ATX w/ RGB, Intel LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+51]

VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)

I would consider a single 120mm radiator the absolute minimum for cooling it. The Cyberpower guy is correct, it can run 24/7 without issues, with one caveat: it may not run at full speed the entire time. All modern CPUs have thermal throttling, and will slow down if they reach a certain temperature to stay under that temperature. Also, the Asetek 570LC is a much older AIO, and was a middle of the road one when it was first released in 2010 or 2011, being a ~$50 unit. Additionally, Threadripper is a unique design that requires a unique waterblock to cool optimally. A waterblock designed in 2010 isn't going to cool it well.

You're dumping a lot of money into this build already. Tell the guy to upgrade you to something better. AIOs with 240mm radiators are less than $50 more than the 120, and $50 is a drop in the bucket in comparison to how much money you're already dumping into this build. The case is fully capable of supporting up to a 420mm radiator on the top. And get a unit that was designed specifically for Threadripper.

Edit: I don't think the Asetek 570LC even has a Threadripper bracket. At least, I'm not finding one specifically for it.

Thank you very much, Tsumi. Im getting the system because my poor old i7 is taking weeks to render so I need the Threadripper to do the best it can which means if it's throttling down then I'll be losing render time.
The problem is that on the CP builder site they only offer the Asetek 570LC for the system. Selecting a 240 or 360 cooler says not supported with that case.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD-Threadripper-UltimateBut as you also noticed according to the case specs it can actually support 240, 360 even 420mm but CP doesn't build them that way for some reason? Maybe error on their site?

Contact them directly. For such an expensive build, I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you and offer a custom configuration.

Looks like a 360 and even a 420 will fit in the top of that case. Maybe not with a push/pull config but definately will fit up there. You could even do custom loop to find a waterblock that will fit the TR and a 360 rad if they do not offer an AIO with those specs.

Thank you. I will contact them again and see if I can change it.
These are the options on their site. Can you tell if any of these will work? The CP site says no, but if they will fit it should be an easy change for Cyberpower. The PC is on backorder waiting for the case so nothing has been built yet.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD-Threadripper-Ultimate
TR cooler pic.jpg

CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified) (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)

NZXT Kraken X52 240mm RGB CPU Liquid Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance (All Venom OC Certified) (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)

EVGA CLC 280mm RGB CPU Water Cooler System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified) (2 x Standard 140MM Fans)

NZXT Kraken X62 280mm RGB CPU Liquid Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance (All Venom OC Certified) (2 x Standard 140MM Fans)

Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 280mm Premium Edition Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified)

CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX ARGB 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (All Venom OC Certified) (3 x Standard 120MM Fans)

None of those have a block that is the actual size of a ThreadRipper heat spreader. None of them will fully cover all the chiplets. You really should look into a Custom Loop. Places like Corsair have a configurator, build your own, type of setup. EK also has one. If you are building such a nice system I would not skimp on the cooling of it. You will need to spend a few hundred more bucks than an AIO but the TR will run so much happier.

None of those have a block that is the actual size of a ThreadRipper heat spreader. None of them will fully cover all the chiplets. You really should look into a Custom Loop. Places like Corsair have a configurator, build your own, type of setup. EK also has one. If you are building such a nice system I would not skimp on the cooling of it. You will need to spend a few hundred more bucks than an AIO but the TR will run so much happier.
Thank you. Problem is it's already paid for at CyberPower. Backorder til probably the end of month though. So I don't know what my options are...
maybe try to cancel/refund?
Or see if they can install a cooler than will work with TR?
Or change it when I receive it ( I really don't want to do that)

See if they can install a cooler more in line with the TR. All the coolers shown in your post are for the standard Intel/AMD desktop processors. I mean they will work but you are not covering the whole package. I have that EVGA 280CLC on my R9 3900X and while it does a great job a 360 would be better. So I would think to get the most out of your TR you would want a 360 at least and one with a plate as close to the size of the TR heat spreader as possible.

Thank you both.
The nice Cyberpower man said I don't need to change but I can and asked which cooler I want to change to

Some nice people on rendering forum are recommending air cooler Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 better than 360AIO
I thought AMD required liquid cool for TR??
I am concerned about clearance by MB is ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro ATX w/ RGB, Intel LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe
My RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-128GTRG.

The Noctua is designed specifically for the design of Threadripper, and will do better than any AIO that is designed for a normal chip. If

AIOs are not really all that much better than regular tower air coolers. In fact, even custom watercooling is not that much better on a CPU. This is due to the fact that heat transfer is limited by the IHS of the CPU. The biggest advantage of AIOs and custom loops is the ability to have a large radiator that can utilize multiple fans, enabling heat dissipation at lower noise. Crank the fans up on a tower air cooler and it will perform just as well. Noctua's high end air coolers rival many 240mm AIOs in terms of noise/performance, and is designed to not interfere with RAM.

Hi guys. I'm out of my league and looking for advice. I have an AMD Threadripper 3970x on order (on backorder actually) that I am getting for use with 3ds Max and v-ray. It will do long renders for days/weeks. It will not be overclocked. I am concerned about cooling. The nice Cyberpower guy says the cooling system can render 24/7 no problem but some other people say it's not enough.
According to the CP builder site it's the only cooler on the list that will fit the case but according to the specs on the case website, many large coolers will fit the case, top and front even. http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Luxe-TemperedGlass.html
This is a lot of money for me so I don't want to make a costly mistake.
Nor do I want to change out the cooler after the fact on my own in such an expensive computer.

My specs:
CAS: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Full-size Tempered Glass Panel Window + RGB 10 Color LED Light Strip (Anthracite Gray)

CD: LG 16X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 3970X 3.7GHz [4.5GHz Turbo] 32Core 64Threads 144MB L3 Cache 280W Processor

CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Thermaltake Riing 12 Series High Static Pressure 120mm Case/Radiator Fan [+39] (Blue Color LED)

FAN: Asetek 570LC 120mm (Fatboy) Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2x CyberPowerPC 120mm Dual Light Loop ARGB 1200RPM Fans w/ Hub + Remote (Push-Pull) [+16])

HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/3300 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 600/550k [+137] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 545/525 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 100/80k [+6] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [-64] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
I will swap it out with 128GB 4X32GB when it arrives (3200MHz)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro ATX w/ RGB, Intel LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+51]

VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
Enthoo Luxe comes with 4x good case fans. Mount them in front and bottom as intakes and block any openings not covered by fans in their mounting panels so the air fans push into case cannot leak out and be pulled back into fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus improve airflow and give lower component temps. This way you don't even need any exhaust fans.

I would use a big air cooler instead of a CLC because Enthoo Luxe also has plenty of room for even the biggest air coolers. Air coolers cool as well as CLCs, last much longer (only fan can go bad) and never leak. As long as you don't use nearest PCIe socket (mobo has 3 x16 sockets) even the widest air cooler is not a problem, but we need to know exactly what RAM you will be using to select a cooler that will clear it. These new AMD motherboards only have about 43mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket, which means many cooler front fans have to fit over part of RAM.

One of the very best is Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power for about $50 .. assuming you can find it.

... but we need to know exactly what RAM you will be using to select a cooler that will clear it. These new AMD motherboards only have about 43mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket, which means many cooler front fans have to fit over part of RAM.
Thank you. I am using
MB is ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro ATX w/ RGB
My RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-128GTRG.
One GPU (RTX 20180ti)
It seems Noctua with 120mm fans may be about the only choice as the 360 AIOs that have large TR plate either have cheap plastic breaking parts, gunk up and fail soon, or require an additional AMD bracket that is not available.

ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro has 78mm center CPU to near side of nearest x16 PCIe and 139.8mm to near side of next x16PCie .. plenty of room for any cooler.
But center CPU to near side of RAM is 48mm so most front cooler fans will be over at least part of nearest RAM socket. 140mm fan will fit no problem with your RAM and case CPU clearance.

G. Skill Trident Z Royal RGB series are 44mm tall so stand 47mm above motherboard and 39mm above surface of CPU. Luxe has 193mm CPU clearance so 140mm fan will fit above RAM so no problem there.

I wouldn't use AIO/CLC. Most AIOs are actully CLC .. that is factory sealed systems with no way to do any repair or maintenance on them so if anything goes wrong they are thow-away and buy new cooler. Their pumps that barely flow as much as a healthy young adult can urinate. All of thus plus costing more wihtout cooling any better and usually louder than top tier air cooling. Luxe works very well with big air coolers and case fans setup as I suggested in previous post.

I know Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 works very well. I think TRUE Spirit 140 Power would do well too, especially if stock TY-147 1300rpm fan is replaced with TY-143 2500rpm fan. TY-143's additional 1200-1300rpm means much more airflow which give about 8c lower temps .. assuming case is flowing that much air .. which Luxe with 4x intakes will. Silver Arrow TR4 comes with TY-143 fans. ;)

Wow thank you very much doyll. I really appreciate your help determining if there is clearance.
So it sounds like Noctua even with 140mm fans will still fit. (I need one fan on each side, push-pull correct?)

The Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 sounds good too. The tests show it almost tied with Noctua.

Since it looks like I will have to order the PC with an AIO and then swap it out myself with an Air cooler, which one do you think is easier for a novice to change out?
I found this installation article. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296761-Thermalright-Silver-Arrow-TR4
Looks like the Thermalright makes use of a single center mounted fan.

Wow thank you very much doyll. I really appreciate your help determining if there is clearance.
So it sounds like Noctua even with 140mm fans will still fit. (I need one fan on each side, push-pull correct?)

The Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 sounds good too. The tests show it almost tied with Noctua.

Since it looks like I will have to order the PC with an AIO and then swap it out myself with an Air cooler, which one do you think is easier for a novice to change out?
I found this installation article. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?296761-Thermalright-Silver-Arrow-TR4
Looks like the Thermalright makes use of a single center mounted fan.
No problem. Glad I can help.

No, twin tower coolers with only middle fan perform within a couple degrees of 2x fans in push / push. In fact single middle fan on twin towers cool the same at same noise level as 2x fans in push / push. Reason is while 2x fans do flow a little more air though cooler, single fan makes about 3dB less noise, and if ran faster at same dB noise level it flow same amout of air as 2x fans at same dB, so same cooling.

[H]ard|OCP tested Silver Arrow TR4 when first out, but it was combined with Liqtech TR4 and a couple others, but that review was pulled I think becuase of the Liqtech TR4 problems. Initial testing Only ran TY-143 at half speed (1300rpm) and temps were not great, but when they re-tested and ran it full speed it actually cooled within 9.5c of fancy custom loop and better than Liqutech TR4.

Here's detailed dimensional drawing:
165474_Silver_Arrow_TR4_meas._bst.png

Below link is to member dpriest here using Silver Arrow TR4
https://hardforum.com/threads/noctu...oler-roundup-h.1969417/page-2#post-1043930057

Case still on backorder so my system still not built....So I was probably going to install the Silver Arrow TR4 myself (they don't offer it) but now they do offer Custom Loop 360 :
BitsPower CP HydroFluxe Custom FlexTube Water Cooling Kit 360MM RAD/ D5PUMP/AMD CPU Block (Clear)
It can be had with 3X or 6X 120mm fans I believe. So now I am wondering if I should just have them do this and it will be under warranty and that way I won't be modifying a new system myself when it arrives.
The only change I would do upon arrival is swap RAM.
Any thoughts suggestions?
c loop.jpg

The difference between Deepcool Castle 360EX and kit with D5 pump is like comparing a Hugo to Rolls Royce Ghost.

Castle 360EX pump has no flow or lift specs, but is rated 2.4w max power consumption. Not sure which D5 pump is in your kit, but XSPC / Laing D5 Vario D5 Vario pump is rated up to 1200L/h@12v and 3.7m lift@12v drawing up to 37w. Is the D5 pump in that kit variable speed and if so is it PWM or variable voltage?

While not an very accurate way to figure things, simple math says;
If 37w pump is rated 1200L/h & 3.7m lift, than​
2.4w is maybe up to 77L/h & 0.24m lift ..​
like I said, not very acurate but it does show the huge difference between the pumps used in CLc verus custom loop.
CLC cannot be serviced (top up coolant) or repaired if something goes wrong while custom loop can.

Keep in mind with CLCs there is no way of knowing how long it will last, and when it fails you have no cooling at all until new cooling is installed. While custom loops are much more dependable, they require regular servicing. Servicing means draining, flushing and refilling with new coolant every year to 18months. Some say once a year, others go longer, but the longer it goes the greater the chance of corrosion and/or gunk plugging microfins in waterblock and damaging/distroying it and possibly radiator too.

Personally I would stay with air cooling. Silver Arrow TR4 is very good but how well it performs is greatly dependent on how well case flows air, so make sure you setup airflow properly.

Like I said before,
"Enthoo Luxe comes with 4x good case fans. Mount them in front and bottom as intakes and block any openings not covered by fans in their mounting panels so the air fans push into case cannot leak out and be pulled back into fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus improve airflow and give lower component temps. This way you don't even need any exhaust fans."

Air cooling with cooler like Silver Arrow TR4 in Luxe setup as suggested will easily cool as well as CLC and not far behind custom loop you listed. It costs much less, will last almost forever (only fans to wear out) and if fan does go they usually let us know before they stop and if it does fail air cooler will cool enough with no fan for sytsem to do light work .. any fan can be used even if held on with rubber bands until new fan is in hand.

Case still on backorder so my system still not built....So I was probably going to install the Silver Arrow TR4 myself (they don't offer it) but now they do offer Custom Loop 360 :
BitsPower CP HydroFluxe Custom FlexTube Water Cooling Kit 360MM RAD/ D5PUMP/AMD CPU Block (Clear)
It can be had with 3X or 6X 120mm fans I believe. So now I am wondering if I should just have them do this and it will be under warranty and that way I won't be modifying a new system myself when it arrives.
The only change I would do upon arrival is swap RAM.
Any thoughts suggestions?View attachment 227323

With that option added I say go for it. You are already spending a pretty penny on this rig so I say make sure it runs as optimally as possible and this would do the trick for you. Plus warrant is a good thing.

Thank you everyone very much. I can't seem to find much info on the custom loop specs.
Does it cover the entire CPU block? I was wondering the same thing. I do not know as all it says is
"D5Pump/AMD CPU Block"

Seems the Pros for air cooling are longer term reliability with lower cost but I'll have to install it as they do not offer either the Noctua or Silver Arrow. And then my warranty is probably gone.

Seems Pros for custom loop are I get a finished system with warranty, possibly better cooling (if it covers entire block) but I will have to deal with maintenance each year, higher cost, risk of leak, and risk during transport of causing leak.
So basically I'd have a warranty for a year and then have to maintenance it wheras with air probably no warranty but simple maintenance.

The system comes with AIO (which I will change to Air myself).... or the other option is order it with custom loop but I cannot order it with air

I would assume the water block would cover the entire CPU, I mean why would they not put a proper water block on it? It is not like no one makes them.

I would assume the water block would cover the entire CPU, I mean why would they not put a proper water block on it? It is not like no one makes them.
everything he has posted shows them using ryzen blocks on a threadripper. so no its not full coverage/proper.

everything he has posted shows them using ryzen blocks on a threadripper. so no its not full coverage/proper.
All the AIO coolers they list have blocks that are not full TR coverage. I was hoping the new addition Custom Loop might have a proper size plate but I cannot tell. Were you able to determine?
I really wish they offered Noctua or Silver Arrow but since they don't, looks like I either order the custom Loop or order it with the default AIO and then change it to Air myself.
If the custom loop plate isn't the right size then the choice is easy I have to install cooler Air on my own.

Why are there hardly any cooling options for 3rd gen threadrippers?
Thanks everyone. You guys are great! :)

All the AIO coolers they list have blocks that are not full TR coverage. I was hoping the new addition Custom Loop might have a proper size plate but I cannot tell. Were you able to determine?
I really wish they offered Noctua or Silver Arrow but since they don't, looks like I either order the custom Loop or order it with the default AIO and then change it to Air myself.
If the custom loop plate isn't the right size then the choice is easy I have to install cooler Air on my own.

Why are there hardly any cooling options for 3rd gen threadrippers?
Thanks everyone. You guys are great! :)
i zoomed in just a bit and that block looks square but could be a generic pic, it should be rectangular. i would question them as to what block it is and if it is actually designed for TR.
1583287778902.png

edit: i guess some ek blocks are square with the rectangular TR mount.

I looked on their site under Intel version and seems they use the same Custom Loop kit picture for both the AMD and Intel kit on the site builder, so I'm guessing it's just a generic pic
block.jpg

They said the custom loop kit uses a different plate for AMD CPU but I explained the Threadrippers need a bigger cooling block than the regular AMD Ryzens. So I am waiting on a response. They are very nice but not sure they understand the Threadrippers are extra large and rectangular.

Well, I haven't gotten an answer from them yet, so rather than pay all that extra money for a Loop that might not have a TR size block, and thus lose the cooling advantage, I think I may just go with the default AIO and change it to Air once I get it. I'm not excited about Custom Loop maintenance but I'm also not excited about changing out the AIO with air and losing the 1 year warranty. But one or the other has to happen.
I said this before on my Matrox PC, and again on my MacPro and current workstation....all of which I have worked on to some degree....I do not like putting my big hands inside these expensive computers and risking damage. It is scary :) I've never installed a CPU cooler of any sort so this is brand new to me.

Complaining aside.... it looks like it's either Noctua with 2 fans or Silver Arrow TR4. I did find a TRUE Spirit 140, but does that cool as well as the other two?
I mainly care about cooling and ease of installation over price.

I would seriously consider finding another PC building company that would cater to your needs.
Problem is it's already paid for and then the case went on backorder and during the wait I realized that it had insufficient cooling option. So the payment has gone through.

Funny thing is I should have asked about the cooler on here before placing the order. I usually do more research but trusted the system would be sufficient since my last one was and I was wanting to get some renders done soon. Now that is coming back to bite me and plus I still am not getting my renders done a month later ;)

I checked several custom PC site builders and they either don't offer 3rd gen TR, or offer only AIO or CLCwater cooling and are over a thousand dollars more than the config at Cyberpower. $5k delivered plus RAM is already a stretch for me so swallowing a $6K-8.5K system somewhere else is too much.

So...I think I'll stick with the original order and swap out the included Fat Boy 120MM AIO (which should be rear mounted radiator) when it arrives with an Air cooler. I 've been watching installation videos and doesn't seem that difficult. Just hate working on a brand new system...

I'm trying to determine how to have them configure the fans. It comes with 4X140mm fans and can hold 5 max.
Personally I would stay with air cooling. Silver Arrow TR4 is very good but how well it performs is greatly dependent on how well case flows air, so make sure you setup airflow properly.

Like I said before,
"Enthoo Luxe comes with 4x good case fans. Mount them in front and bottom as intakes and block any openings not covered by fans in their mounting panels so the air fans push into case cannot leak out and be pulled back into fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus improve airflow and give lower component temps. This way you don't even need any exhaust fans."

Phanteks rep said fans cannot be mounted in the bottom (even though the pic looks like it) so how best should the fans be located?
2X 140mm on front and 2X 140mm on top? Open the rear slots so they don't block air? Maybe install 1X 140mm exhaust fan in the rear where I would be removing the Fat Boy 120mm radiator?
Any recommendations on where to buy the 5th 140mm fan?
Or will that many fans be fighting airflow sending it recirculating in the case?
Note: The system will have a Optical Drive so 3X 120mm on front is not possible

Attachments

• phanteks.jpg
    phanteks.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
What it is showing at the bottom is just air intake, I assume there is a filter down there and that is setup to use all fans as output with no intake fans.

All exhaust is just asking for dust buildup in all the nooks and crannies of the case. You want positive air pressure to minimize dust. Ideal is more intake than exhause, and all intakes filtered.

I just wanted to say thank you again for everyone that helped.

My Threadripper system arrived and is working great. There somehow was some mis-communication between the builder rep and I as after some back and forth I thought I made it clear to send the system with the default AIO since the Custom loop was removed from the option list and I was planning on installing an Air cooler when it arrived. Anyway the system arrived with the Deepcool Castle 360EX ARGB with antileak technology (on top), Deepcool AIO retention kit for TR4/TRX40, and 6X 120mm fans in push-pull config.

The Phanteks Luxe Tempered case has been discontinued but I was able to get remaining stock.
I also looked at the manual and even though the nice Phanteks rep said no, the manual shows that fans can be installed in the bottom. Hmmm.
So I've left the system as is so far (except installing 128GB RAM). The deepcool AIO actually blocks the 1st slot to the right of the pump but that is ok because 128GB at 3200MHz is the fastest I can go. Looks like I won't ever be going 256GB.

So the system has 1X Phanteks 140mm at the rear blowing out at low speed, 2X Phanteks 140mm at front sucking in, 6X thermaltake 120mm on top apparently blowing out because I can feel significant heat coming out the top. The other default Phanteks 140mm apparently was not used and they kept? None of the fans seem to operate very high RPM.

It's been rendering a big 3ds Max animation for 12.5 hrs straight now running full load 100% on all 32 cores between about 3860MHz-3916MHz and the temp is pretty much staying at 73/74 C. According to Coretemp at some point it hit max 81 C but I've not ever seen it go above 76. Min says 37 C. I'm watching it as I work on something else.
This thing is a beast of a machine. This same animation was taking 800 hrs on my 64GB i7 with 8GB Quadro and still wasn't going to get finished so I gave up and have been waiting for months for something better. The TR says 86hrs left.

So it looks like the system is going to work as is and I won't have to modify it! I am really happy about that. So now I still have a new SilverArrow Air cooler in the box I had planned on installing. I guess I'll keep it in case I need it.

Back