Enhance Pointer Precision versus DPI Switch on a Mouse?

Boris_yo

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have Logitech mouse with DPI of 1000 and there is no DPI switch.
Windows has option to control mouse sensitivity and "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 131308.jpg

I am wondering what are pros versus cons when using mouse with DPI range switch and controlling
sensitivity with "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature.

I used to hear that in general controlling on a hardware is always better than on a software level (which Windows is)
so does this apply to mouse too? Would I better use DPI switch on a mouse versus above mentioned feature in Windows?

Thanks

"Enhance pointer precision" applies heavy acceleration to mouse movements. It's not what you're after and is a bad thing for being precise with your mouse.

DPI Switch on a Mouse, this is useless at MX518.

When mouse DPI this set correctly according to screen size (dimensions), then this is not required to be changed again, 2D and or 3D.
Windows mouse acceleration this gets disabled at modern games.
At 1080P, 1000 DPI are enough.
But a modern sensor as is 16K Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse ( wired), this will deliver much more smooth performance at 1000 DPI, especially when this gets calibrated according to mouse-pad.
https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1657.0

Hello,

I have Logitech mouse with DPI of 1000 and there is no DPI switch.
Windows has option to control mouse sensitivity and "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature.

View attachment 423603

I am wondering what are pros versus cons when using mouse with DPI range switch and controlling
sensitivity with "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature.

I used to hear that in general controlling on a hardware is always better than on a software level (which Windows is)
so does this apply to mouse too? Would I better use DPI switch on a mouse versus above mentioned feature in Windows?

Thanks

You want it off. You also need to change the pointer speed notch. I made a guide for this.

https://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html

sharknice Said that 1200 DPI should be used based on monitor's resolution but 1080p monitor has 1920 x 1080 resolution so why it's 1200 DPI and not 1900 DPI?

Good question that neither Google has an clear answer.
But I do have it, because I am in to electronics and I have understanding about engineering too.
DPI this is a measuring unit, Printer DPI, Mouse DPI, Screen DPI, they are not identical things.

Mouse DPI this has tightest scan density because of the quality of the sensor (modern 16K ones).
Cheap PC screen other than DPI, this has also another factor that is size of its pixel.
Expensive PC screen has smaller size of pixels = higher density.

Long story in sort, a user he has to test several mouse DPI settings and to discover the one working best at the hardware that its user owns.
You can not blindly use my setting, or some one else setting, except if he uses identical PC screen as the one that you do own.
I own UltraSharp U2311H .

sharknice Said that 1200 DPI should be used based on monitor's resolution but 1080p monitor has 1920 x 1080 resolution so why it's 1200 DPI and not 1900 DPI?

There isn't a "correct" or "perfect" dpi setting to use.

You adjust dpi based on your personal preference. Based on how fast you want it to move. In the article I say 1200 is a good starting point.

I currently use 800 dpi with a 4k screen and 4 more monitors around it.

Lower dpi means more precision, but also more physical movement of the mouse so you need a larger mouse pad. You need to find a balance that works best for you.

sharknice Do you know if Logitech G Hub allows setting polling rate only for gaming mouse? There's a 3rd party software that allows that too and I read that any mouse can be adjusted to polling rate of up to 1000Hz however there might be a risk of fudging up mouse driver...

sharknice Do you know if Logitech G Hub allows setting polling rate only for gaming mouse? There's a 3rd party software that allows that too and I read that any mouse can be adjusted to polling rate of up to 1000Hz however there might be a risk of fudging up mouse driver...
G hub only works with specific Logitech mice.
Yes, you can overclock some wired mice to higher polling rates with 3rd party software, they won't necessarily work correctly or consistently at higher rates though. There is software you can use to test if they are working correctly.

Yes, you can overclock some wired mice to higher polling rates with 3rd party software
I currently use M190 wireless Logitech mouse. Guess I should not attempt to modifying its polling rate.

Nice website. Are you the owner?

Last edited:
Thanks, yes.
Yeah I haven't heard of anyone being able to overclock a wireless mouse yet.

You want it off. You also need to change the pointer speed notch. I made a guide for this.

https://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html

I came here to ask a similar question to OP, and saw you posted your guide. It's very helpful, thanks a lot for putting that together. One question I do have, I'm coming from a logitech mx510 that i've had for like 20 years, and it is an 800 dpi mouse. I have my new basilisk ultimate set around there, because it's what I'm so used to and it feels normal to me. Am I somehow not taking advantage of the better sensor by doing this? Should I decrease sensitivity really low in windows, and increase the dpi setting on the mouse? Or does it not really matter? Thanks!

I came here to ask a similar question to OP, and saw you posted your guide. It's very helpful, thanks a lot for putting that together. One question I do have, I'm coming from a logitech mx510 that i've had for like 20 years, and it is an 800 dpi mouse. I have my new basilisk ultimate set around there, because it's what I'm so used to and it feels normal to me. Am I somehow not taking advantage of the better sensor by doing this? Should I decrease sensitivity really low in windows, and increase the dpi setting on the mouse? Or does it not really matter? Thanks!

You aren't taking advantage of the DPI, but the sensor will still be more accurate. Newer sensors are more accurate than the older ones. For example if you move really fast an older sensor may have only be 95% accurate whereas a new one could be 99% accurate.
Adjusting the windows sensitivity setting to anything other than 6/11 will only make it less accurate because windows doesn't store the cursor's position in fractions of pixels, only whole numbers.
In a game like an FPS with mouse look you can lower sensitivity and increase DPI to get more precision because you're turning your view N degrees times dots sent from the mouse.

You aren't taking advantage of the DPI, but the sensor will still be more accurate. Newer sensors are more accurate than the older ones. For example if you move really fast an older sensor may have only be 95% accurate whereas a new one could be 99% accurate.
Adjusting the windows sensitivity setting to anything other than 6/11 will only make it less accurate because windows doesn't store the cursor's position in fractions of pixels, only whole numbers.
In a game like an FPS with mouse look you can lower sensitivity and increase DPI to get more precision because you're turning your view N degrees times dots sent from the mouse.

That was a quick response, much appreciated. I will do as you recommend 👍

Back