Encoding BR rips in 2022: H.264 vs H.265 vs AV1; CPU vs GPU

OKC Yeakey Trentadue

[H]ard|Gawd
I am starting to rip Blu rays again for 1080p playback and wanted to see the recommendations today.

When I ripped my current library in 2019 and 2020, it was H264 using the CPU. I now have a 1050ti with NVENC.

Format: Back in 2019 most pushed H265 over H264 as it was seen as "the future". However, I decided with H264 as compatibility was a higher concern. Did things drastically change since then with the human malware? What about AV1 and H266??

CPU vs GPU: Prior to the 1050ti, I tried using the GPU on an AMD APU. It was much faster but the quality was not great. Does the NVENC have similar quality as the CPU?

Overall, my priorities (in order but not absolute):
1. Compatibility: TVs, consoles, phones, everything.
2. Quality (given similar file size)
3. Speed of encoding
4. Data size (plenty of space on Synology Nas)

So what do you all suggest as far as format and method for me going forward? THANKS!

P.S. What about 8 bit vs 10 bit vs 12 bit?? Are those even options for the 1050ti?

Last edited:
So H.264 NVENC was just as poor quality as it was with my APU encoder.
g2 (1).png
c2 (1).png

The first screenshot is using the 1050ti. The second one is using the CPU. While the GPU was much faster, it ran used up over 8 GB while the CPU is half that. More importantly, and likely harder to tell on here than my 55" nu8000, the picture is far inferior with the GPU. You will see the edges of the teeth much cleaner on the second image.

When I was researching video encoding of camera videos for my Dad, it became apparent image quality with GPU encoders was lower quality but a lot faster.
I set up Handbrake for a while to shrink them but then BD disks and players became more mainstream so straight copies became the norm.

I also rip my my own BD disks as straight copies, no encoding.
Easiest and best solution, especially for HDR (10bit).
There are no 12 bit/colour BDs.

I also rip my my own BD disks as straight copies, no encoding.
Easiest and best solution, especially for HDR (10bit).
There are no 12 bit/colour BDs.
Nice, but my epeen is definitely not big enough to require 30 GB per movie. Even at 4-5 GB, or CRF-20, it's a huge upgrade to all the garbage quality stuff my wife downloads off of some sketch website.

I will probably stick with H264 for now. I am thinking I will eventually go to AV1 once I get a new CPU as the codec looks promising.

So I did h.265 GPU at crf 24 against h.264 CPU at crf. Output size was 4.8 GB and 4.2 GB, respectively. The first screenshot is the CPU:

600968_CPU_4.png

600969_GPU_4.png

Even blown up on a 4k tv, there was little to no difference. So it comes down to compatibility and encode speed. While the GPU was much faster, I am never waiting for the movie to encode, so I will take compatibility every time.

Right now my GPU is trying to upscale a 10 GB Troy 1080p h.264 file to 4k using Nero ai upscaler. My poor 1050ti is projected to take over 2 days running at 100% :(

Qu

Back