Emulators

kanecvl

Limp Gawd
Anybody using emulator out there for wii u, xbox 360, xbone ps3 or ps4? If so what do you use and how well does it work. Can you play online? Can you play multiplayer at all etc.

Xbox 360 is the Xenia project.

None are ready for real game play, though. Xenia can play a lot more commercial games, but they are far from 100%. All are a work in progress and need a lot more work. I think WiiU had a good start of one (https://github.com/decaf-emu/decaf-emu) - no games playable. XBO, PS3, PS4 - Not yet. Not even close, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Do they have 3DS/2DS emulators working yet? I'm playing LoZ: Majora's Mask on my 2DS and I can't help but feel like I'd much rather play this on a larger screen! The amount of work put into remastering the Art is quite amazing, I hate to waste it on such a terrible little screen.

Do they have 3DS/2DS emulators working yet? I'm playing LoZ: Majora's Mask on my 2DS and I can't help but feel like I'd much rather play this on a larger screen! The amount of work put into remastering the Art is quite amazing, I hate to waste it on such a terrible little screen.

Not yet for 3DS games, only regular DS games. I'm guessing they aren't too far off though.

http://citra-emu.org/
Work in progress, don't believe MM would work at this time, but worth keeping an eye on.

Xbox 360 is the Xenia project.

None are ready for real game play, though. Xenia can play a lot more commercial games, but they are far from 100%. All are a work in progress and need a lot more work. I think WiiU had a good start of one (https://github.com/decaf-emu/decaf-emu) - no games playable. XBO, PS3, PS4 - Not yet. Not even close, AFAIK.

Yeah everything I have found seems like a scam.

I'll just post my preferred for reference:

Nintendo:

NES: FCEUX + Nestopia + Nintendulator

Kind of a love-hate relationship with FCEUX; it's based on an older emulator, and though it does a very good job, it is clunky at times. I've been using Nintendulator lately, though any of these three should handle 99.9% of your use cases.

GB/GBC/GBA: VBA-M

VBA-M basically covers your portable use cases.

SNES: Snes9x + Higan

Higan is certainly more accurate, but I prefer Snes9x's ease of use.

N64: Project 64 (latest SVN), Mupen64+, Project 64 1.6

N64 emulation is in a very sorry state (for the love of god, can someone PLEASE fix Body Harvest?), requiring a lot of per-game configuration. These are the best options.

Gamecube/Wii: Dolphin (latest Git)

No other choice; still a little hit or miss.

SEGA:

SMS/GG: Kega Fusion

Does the job. Enough said.

Genesis/32x/Sega-CD: Gens/GS + Kega Fusion

Gens/GS is one of several emulators derived from the old Gens source code, this one is the *best*, though open issues include better SSD savestate support.

Sony:

PSX: ePSXe, PCSX Reloaded (latest SVN)

Fully interchangeable memory cards, so it's up to user preference.

PS2: PCSX2 (latest SVN)

No other choice; still a little hit or miss.

everything gamerk2 listed is the latest and greatest available. there are no truly working emus for any of the last gen consoles. some are close, cemu for wiiu is getting there, maybe next year...
I've followed console emulation since the late 90' and WOW has it come along way! it was the shit having snes9x on an old 233 12" laptop!

yes. I think everything up to n64 is available on droid phones. just google what you want and youll prob find it.

On the XB1 BC 360 games have full support xbox live, multiplayer, and achievements. As far Wii U CEMU has been improving in performance with each update. I don't think it has online support but I can't say for sure I haven't followed it very closely.

While a lot of people overlook it as only a Street Fighter emulator, Final Burn Alpha can play a boatload of games these days. It also does a really good job of making older 2D games look like they were made recently rather than 20+ years ago. It even has Kaillera integration so you can play online if you like.
I use FBA along with Project64 and Dolphin to cover most of my needs. I have ePSXe and PCSX2, but haven't touched either in forever. I think I just don't have a lot of games from the PS1 and PS2 era that I can't play better versions of.

Back