Email hosting

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been running my own email for a few years (exchange 2010). It's EOL and I really don't want to do it anymore.
I only have like 5 addresses I have to take care of. Office365 Family so far looks to be one of the cheapest options @ $99/year.
Only features needed is contact list/email sync with iphone, and basic spam filtering.

Anyone suggest another provider?

I don't really want to go through the hassle of office365 if its anything like the business counterpart, along with the required domain hosting in godaddy.

I'm using fastmail, with aliases for certain accounts. Dunno about their family/business stuff, but the individual accounts aren't bad.

Got it linked to my gmail via imap/pop, and user their app on my phone, which works well (although only while you have a net connection).

Use my own domain name, so I don't need to worry if I change providers later.

Zoho is free, I use it for my side business. Otherwise, If your paying I would move to google.

Why not wanting to do it anymore? Would be curious to learn, as I've thought about it myself a number of times.
Google is not cheap, it's like $50/e-mail for business accounts. Outlook requires a google app to sync contacts/calendar, and it's not without issues. Gmail itself is down more often than I'd like, but mostly it's just issues with timely deliveries of e-mails - some regularly arrive late, anything from minutes to hours (I'd say at least several times a month that I catch that).

Reasons:
Exchange 2010 eol
Big dell t630 server running 2 vms (other one is for anti spam) looking to shut this down, likely move to a modified thin client (wyse 5020) for plex & ubnt controller. It's like 17watts vs 340watts.
I'm moving out of the country, looking to simplify my life.

Had another thought after I made the post, I have a VPS that handles outgoing email (att blocks outgoing port 25 and wanted $20/month to unblock it, VPS was $5) thinking reconfiguring the VPS to forward the mail to gmail, but not ideal as looses from address.
I"ll take a look at Zoho. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that most companies that 'host' your email for a minimal charge/free as looking to lock you in somehow--even some paid companies do this. Right now you're free. I'd figure out a way to run your T630 setup on a Dell SFF Optiplex loaded up with 32GB of ram--it will likely be 65w and will also be able to run your plex and ubnt too.

I run a Ryzen 3400G based server with HyperV. Host OS is Win10 and has access to the Ryzen's Vega GPU, so I can do light gaming on that/HTPC. Inside, I run HyperV with FreeNAS for NAS, and 2 more dev boxes, but could easily run whatever.
2x4tb WD Reds, NVMe SSD for system, 2x16GB 1.35v RAM, bunch of fans. Uses right around 40w at idle, and provides all my auxiliary PC needs with room to spare on those 4 Ryzen cores. Upgradable to 8c 4750G Ryzen if needed. Just some food for thought.

Are these email addresses for actual other people that need separate logins?

You can buy 1 365 account ($5/month) and just add a bunch of shared mailboxes with email addresses and use them as if they were accounts but you don't need to buy licenses for them. This way you have separate inboxes for everything but only pay for one license.

This is what I did with my self-hosted mail server and forget everyone else that charges per address, this way is much cheaper lol. (my shared mailboxes also have 99GB limit vs 49.5GB for regular users)

Last edited:
Back