Elder Scrolls 6 will release for Xbox and PC only

You do understand the monitor or tv is neither the PC or the console... right?? I am laughing at that line of reasoning.

Also I haven't had the greatest of luck with lcd TV's in fact their 100% underwhelming inspite of buying the best rated/reviewed over the years, and I don't want to pony up 5k for a proper large, high end OLED. I still rock the last of the Panasonic 65' Viera for pitch perfect colors and contrast.
A 65" OLED can be had for under $2K. Good TVs are cheap these days.

The monitor or TV are part of the computer or console setup for 99% of users.

Last edited:
A 65" OLED can be had for under $2K. Good TVs are cheap these days.
Not where I am the good ones are still 4.5-5k, the cheap ones all compromise and I end up with a better result on my Viera. Also still can't get a PS5 in stock.

PS5s have been getting much easier to buy. I bought one a little while ago, and recently passed on several opportunities to buy another because I don't know anyone looking for one.
My cousin got a RTX 3060 for MSRP which is about $400 but that doesn't mean it's easy. You can't say that GPU's are impossible to find or $1k and the PS5 isn't when it's clearly the same problem. Personal experience does not mean that I can go to Wallmart and buy a PS5 for $500 right now.

2. To change floor sure, my upstairs living room has no such need, the point is it is not hard to pull off, the problem you and Jumpem have is that your seeing this wiring etc as transitory, sure if your hooking and unhooking, winding and unwinding wires its a huge PITA, but if you set it up correctly once, its done. if you hire a electrician to pull the wire for cash its like $175 in the Canadian Market (probably like 75$ in the US). No thanks, I'm right and you are wrong, simple as that. The reality is you, and others, just don't want to take the minuscule amount of effort to setup your life that way, and there is nothing wrong with that, but lazy does have its own pitfalls.

This isn’t entirely correct. Doing it correctly doesn’t mean it’s just done. Standards change. In-wall HDMI may be easy and cheap enough to do but try running that older cable designed around HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 standards at 4k 120hz. Even pulling a 2.1 now doesn’t mean it’s going to support that kind of run at 8k 120hz when it’s around, or 16k in the future. You’ll be pulling a new one through again one day or whatever the next major cable it becomes. Or if you want a bit more future proof with Ethernet to use with baluns. But it’s still not done because you will have to change out the baluns at some point. And also the possibility of a single Ethernet cable not going to be able to support whatever future bandwidth requirements are so you may need to pull another too.

This viewpoint also dismisses the large amount of renters who may not even have the option to run cables in-walls and in-ceilings.

This isn’t entirely correct. Doing it correctly doesn’t mean it’s just done. Standards change. In-wall HDMI may be easy and cheap enough to do but try running that older cable designed around HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 standards at 4k 120hz. Even pulling a 2.1 now doesn’t mean it’s going to support that kind of run at 8k 120hz when it’s around, or 16k in the future. You’ll be pulling a new one through again one day or whatever the next major cable it becomes. Or if you want a bit more future proof with Ethernet to use with baluns. But it’s still not done because you will have to change out the baluns at some point. And also the possibility of a single Ethernet cable not going to be able to support whatever future bandwidth requirements are so you may need to pull another too.

This viewpoint also dismisses the large amount of renters who may not even have the option to run cables in-walls and in-ceilings.

It also dismisses just accommodating a PC in your entertainment center setup.

The Witcher 3 is so much better than Skyrim in every imaginable way that on no plane of existence could I go back to Skyrim. If everything else was exactly the same as Skyrim, the battle system and quest system alone would still completely set it apart.
Each to their own. The battle system was the nail in the coffin that made me stop playing the witcher3 ultimately. I couldn't be bothered to learn which magic and weapons to use against which type of monster. That knowledge should be innate to the character and readily available to the player. I mean imagine Half Life expecting you to know all ins and outs of quantum physics to be able to play as gordon freeman.

Each to their own. The battle system was the nail in the coffin that made me stop playing the witcher3 ultimately. I couldn't be bothered to learn which magic and weapons to use against which type of monster. That knowledge should be innate to the character and readily available to the player. I mean imagine Half Life expecting you to know all ins and outs of quantum physics to be able to play as gordon freeman.
FYI this isn't a thing. I've gone the entire game without updating any of my agni signs and I almost never use potions outside of night vision and healing. The only time it's required is for specific quests which ultimately lead you down the path to creating those potions.

On PC and may pre-order if the previews are good enough to pique my interest. Hopefully the system requirements won't be too high.

PS5s have been getting much easier to buy. I bought one a little while ago, and recently passed on several opportunities to buy another because I don't know anyone looking for one.
Personal experience does not equal reality. If I can't find any for MSRP on Amazon or Ebay then they're not easy to find.
Not at all. Running a twenty foot HDMI cable would be a pain. You also then have to get additional wireless input devices.
If you can't fit a PC then how do you fit a PS5? That console isn't exactly small.

On PC and may pre-order if the previews are good enough to pique my interest. Hopefully the system requirements won't be too high.
It has to work on a woefully equipped xbox series s. It should run on low end PC's as well.

Yea you do know that even trying to find an PS5 is impossible without paying over $1k. Either way you're going to pay a lot of money. The difference here is that I can use old PC parts that are cheaper and available that can still play modern games. A PS4 cannot do that.
I know it's difficult, but it's not impossible. And I'm sorry, but at last check prices for even RTX 20 cards were still through the roof at many outlets. $800 for an RTX 2070 8GB at Newegg, for example. You can cobble together a system capable of playing modern games if you already have the parts laying around, but the PS5 will still seem like the bargain if you're buying even some of the components new.

No no, what current Xbox games would a PC user miss out on?
This is difficult to research, I'll admit, and the real question is what they'd "miss out on." But your argument is predicated on the assumption that every current Xbox game is also available or coming to PC, and that's not really a tenable position.

So tell me how exactly does buying a single console not prevent you from missing out on other console exclusives? At the moment a PS5 is screwed out of all Zenimax games, including Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and even Doom. You would need to own Sony's, Microsoft's, and Nintendo's consoles to get access to all games. On PC you'd get access to most for the cost of one machine.
Never said you wouldn't miss out on games, it's just that the PC is not the all-encompassing platform you think it is. And the games you're missing out on are frequently very good.

Also, funny, I can play all of the games you mentioned — all of them — on my PS5. In fact, Skyrim and Doom Eternal have had PS5-optimized versions for a while. Now, it seems like future titles might be Xbox console exclusives, but that's not what you implied. Now, future games are another story, but Microsoft hasn't officially said anything one way or the other. (Also, side note: you keep making basic factual errors like this, you might want to do your research in the future).

You do know Demon Souls was made in 2009? People couldn't play it on the PS4 and Sony had shut down the PS3 online play which prompted them to make a PS5 version. You don't think that some people aren't mad that Sony decided to release a PS3 game for $70 instead of just creating backwards compatibility on the PS5?
Oh, I'm sure some people wish they could just play the original game. But if you just bought a PS5, would you rather play a version aimed at a console that struggled just to reach 1080p, or a heavily remastered version built for 4K and modern hardware? And you know full well why backward compatibility wasn't an option — Sony would have needed to emulate Cell on x86, and that would invite massive complexity for relatively little reward. And if From needed to go through the trouble of porting the game... well, a remaster is more likely to be worth the investment.

I know it's difficult, but it's not impossible. And I'm sorry, but at last check prices for even RTX 20 cards were still through the roof at many outlets. $800 for an RTX 2070 8GB at Newegg, for example. You can cobble together a system capable of playing modern games if you already have the parts laying around, but the PS5 will still seem like the bargain if you're buying even some of the components new.
You wanna know what PS5's are going for on Newegg?
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=playstation+5
This is difficult to research, I'll admit, and the real question is what they'd "miss out on." But your argument is predicated on the assumption that every current Xbox game is also available or coming to PC, and that's not really a tenable position.
Why not? Find me a game that was released in the past several years on Xbox that isn't on PC? You made the claim that some games aren't, so backup your claim.
Never said you wouldn't miss out on games, it's just that the PC is not the all-encompassing platform you think it is. And the games you're missing out on are frequently very good.
I'm not disagreeing that you will miss out on some good games, but you can't just own one console and think you're good. There is no reason to own an Xbox over a PC other than cost and convenience. PC users get all the games that an Xbox owner can get. A Switch won't get you all the games that you get on PS5 and Xbox Series S plus some new games now cloud stream it instead of running it natively. On PC though Nintendo Switch emulation is really good. Only the Playstation games you miss out on PC and even that's starting to shift in favor of PC. Now if you own a PS5 you won't be getting Zenimax games that is fairly popular. You need to own all three consoles and pay their monthly fees to even get close to what a PC user can experience.

(Also, side note: you keep making basic factual errors like this, you might want to do your research in the future).
Says the guy that claims PC users will miss out on Xbox games and then doesn't have any evidence because he needs to do the research. What errors I'm making? You just say things without explaining them.

Oh, I'm sure some people wish they could just play the original game. But if you just bought a PS5, would you rather play a version aimed at a console that struggled just to reach 1080p, or a heavily remastered version built for 4K and modern hardware?
You're making excuses for a company that basically took a shit on their consumers by giving them no other choice but to buy the PS5 version.
And you know full well why backward compatibility wasn't an option — Sony would have needed to emulate Cell on x86, and that would invite massive complexity for relatively little reward. And if From needed to go through the trouble of porting the game... well, a remaster is more likely to be worth the investment.
Microsoft went through the trouble to emulate their Xbox 360 and that wasn't worth the investment but they did it. Also I played Demon Souls on PC through RPCS3 years ago on an inferior PC which at the time was a FX 8350 and RX 480 GPU, and that ran just fine. Sony could easily do this on their PS5. For a guy who claims others to do research you sure aren't aware of what's going on in the world.

Those are all marketplace sellers.
Ok then find me a non marketplace seller. You won't because it's not available. That's the common theme here is that nothing is available and capitalists will capitalize by increasing the price. That's why a RTX 2060 costs a fortune and why a PS5 costs over $1k, because availability is very limited. Just because Sony isn't selling it directly through Amazon or Newegg doesn't excuse that others are selling it for exuberant prices. Consoles don't get a pass in this situation anymore so than PC parts. Everyone is equally fucked no matter console or PC.

Ok then find me a non marketplace seller. You won't because it's not available. That's the common theme here is that nothing is available and capitalists will capitalize by increasing the price. That's why a RTX 2060 costs a fortune and why a PS5 costs over $1k, because availability is very limited. Just because Sony isn't selling it directly through Amazon or Newegg doesn't excuse that others are selling it for exuberant prices. Consoles don't get a pass in this situation anymore so than PC parts. Everyone is equally fucked no matter console or PC.
Gamestop and Walmart both had digital editions in stock this morning for retail price.

Reactions: DPI
like this
You wanna know what PS5's are going for on Newegg?
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=playstation+5
Like Armenius said... those are third-party marketplace sellers, not Newegg. The hardware I was pointing to was straight from Newegg.

Why not? Find me a game that was released in the past several years on Xbox that isn't on PC? You made the claim that some games aren't, so backup your claim.
Found at least one: Forza Motorsport 5. Xbox One only. Now, if you're a fan of the series you've probably picked up a newer version since... but you're also the one who's convinced it's a grievous offense that the Demon's Souls remaster requires a PS5.

I'm not disagreeing that you will miss out on some good games, but you can't just own one console and think you're good. There is no reason to own an Xbox over a PC other than cost and convenience. PC users get all the games that an Xbox owner can get. A Switch won't get you all the games that you get on PS5 and Xbox Series S plus some new games now cloud stream it instead of running it natively. On PC though Nintendo Switch emulation is really good. Only the Playstation games you miss out on PC and even that's starting to shift in favor of PC. Now if you own a PS5 you won't be getting Zenimax games that is fairly popular. You need to own all three consoles and pay their monthly fees to even get close to what a PC user can experience.
We still don't know the exact Zenimax situation, so please don't make presumptions. While there's a good chance at least some future games will be Xbox/Windows exclusive, we don't know that yet.

And when it comes to overall availability of games... on a broader level, you're missing the point. The sheer quantity of titles only matters so much; it's about the nature of the games themselves, too. As a PS5 owner I'm not really going to miss the Forza games when I have Gran Turismo and other big-name racers. Will I miss games like Halo Infinite? A bit, but not enough to offset the games I will get, like anything from Insomniac (think Spider-Man) and Naughty Dog. And again, it's important to stress that those PlayStation titles making the leap aren't part of a broader "shift;" you're likely going to get a handful of games roughly a year or more after their console launches, not simultaneous debuts for every big title. I will agree that an Xbox owner doesn't have as much incentive to skip a PC, but "cost and convenience" are pretty big factors, don't you think?

Also, I wouldn't count on emulation. Stealing games is not morally acceptable just because you don't 'feel' like buying a Switch, and even if games exist in a gray area (like titles that aren't legitimately available anywhere), you can't count on the associated emulator lasting forever.

Says the guy that claims PC users will miss out on Xbox games and then doesn't have any evidence because he needs to do the research. What errors I'm making? You just say things without explaining them.
That... shouldn't require much explanation. You claimed that PlayStation owners were "screwed" out of Zenimax games, with no distinction as to whether they were existing or future titles. If they're future titles, you didn't state as such and can be faulted for that; if you meant existing, that's demonstrably false when they're all playable on PS5 and in most cases have PS5-native code.

You're making excuses for a company that basically took a shit on their consumers by giving them no other choice but to buy the PS5 version.
From is a game developer. Game developers make money by selling games. Porting the unaltered PS3 game would cost time and money the developer might not have. Yeah, it's great that you can play a 12-year-old PC game on a modern system without much effort, but I'm not going to fault From for deciding that a PS5-only remaster makes more economic sense than a no-frills port available for little to no charge.

Microsoft went through the trouble to emulate their Xbox 360 and that wasn't worth the investment but they did it. Also I played Demon Souls on PC through RPCS3 years ago on an inferior PC which at the time was a FX 8350 and RX 480 GPU, and that ran just fine. Sony could easily do this on their PS5. For a guy who claims others to do research you sure aren't aware of what's going on in the world.
Microsoft also sells the consoles... so yes, it's worthwhile — back compatibility sells more systems. From doesn't make PlayStations, so it has to make its money on game sales. This really isn't that hard.

Gamestop and Walmart both had digital editions in stock this morning for retail price.
Link or it didn't happen.
Found at least one: Forza Motorsport 5. Xbox One only. Now, if you're a fan of the series you've probably picked up a newer version since... but you're also the one who's convinced it's a grievous offense that the Demon's Souls remaster requires a PS5.
Forza Motorsport 5 was a launch title on the Xbox One, meaning the game was released in 2013. I said several years for a reason because Microsoft didn't realize how fucked they were until after the Xbox One launch. Forza Motorsport 5 was released 8 years ago. You might as well add Conker's Bad Fur Day as a game that was never released on PC. Forza Motorsport 7 as well as 6 however are indeed on Windows. Demon's Souls requiring a PS5 is offensive when Sony shut down the PS3's network and never did backwards compatibility with the PS3. Xbox however does not have these problems with Forza Motorsport 5.

I like how you made a statement without doing any research on it and then did this obvious reach to try and confirm the validity of that statement. You should be happy to know that Xbox has no unique games that isn't also available on PC. Exclusives are anti-consumer.
We still don't know the exact Zenimax situation, so please don't make presumptions. While there's a good chance at least some future games will be Xbox/Windows exclusive, we don't know that yet.
Uh, what? Microsoft bought Zenimax for a reason and we clearly see from this thread that none of those games are coming to Playstation. Owning a Playstation 5 means you lose out on Zenimax games like Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, and Doom Eternal 2. Those are facts. Don't think that Microsoft won't try to do the same thing to PC once Xbox has gaining enough market share. The only reason PC is getting these games is because the Xbox market share is not enough to satisfy developers sales. Xbox + PC though is enough to keep developers from porting their games to Playstation.
As a PS5 owner I'm not really going to miss the Forza games when I have Gran Turismo and other big-name racers. Will I miss games like Halo Infinite? A bit, but not enough to offset the games I will get, like anything from Insomniac (think Spider-Man) and Naughty Dog.
Want some copium? Sounds like you're justifying the shitty situation that is exclusives.
7xc57xyvn9m71.jpg

Also, I wouldn't count on emulation. Stealing games is not morally acceptable just because you don't 'feel' like buying a Switch,
I have a Switch and modded it not to play Switch games because that's what my PC is for. I don't care about what's morally acceptable when I'm forced to buy multiple inferior pieces of hardware just to play one fucking game. I also don't find it morally correct that Nintendo is pushing for older N64 games on the Switch to cost a monthly $50 fee to play them, or that old Nintendo games now cost more than they did originally two decades ago. Don't like it then port your games.
and even if games exist in a gray area (like titles that aren't legitimately available anywhere), you can't count on the associated emulator lasting forever.
What emulator have you seen that hasn't lasted forever? Do you know how open source works?
That... shouldn't require much explanation. You claimed that PlayStation owners were "screwed" out of Zenimax games, with no distinction as to whether they were existing or future titles.
You know it's future games. You assume it's past is just supporting another bad argument you're trying to make. Why would anyone think that older games stopped working just because Microsoft bought Zenimax? Again you're reaching super hard.
From is a game developer. Game developers make money by selling games. Porting the unaltered PS3 game would cost time and money the developer might not have.
Sony could just keep the PS3 network running so at least PS3 owners could still play Demon Souls online.
Yeah, it's great that you can play a 12-year-old PC game on a modern system without much effort, but I'm not going to fault From for deciding that a PS5-only remaster makes more economic sense than a no-frills port available for little to no charge.
Is it From Software or Sony itself? You can't blame customers from doing unethical things like playing old games on emulators when Sony remasters a game on the PS5 and does nothing for backwards compatibility on the PS5. Being morally correct is very expensive but also very profitable for already wealthy corporations.

Last edited:
Link or it didn't happen.
Don't have a time machine. If you follow the plethora of people providing timely stock alerts you will see them. We have a thread going in this very forum.

https://hardforum.com/threads/h-stock-alerts-tips-tears-for-amd-nvidia-intel-ps5-xbox.2005068/

I got my PS5 and Series X by watching various sources including the above thread. My PS5, in fact, was delivered on Christmas Day last year thanks to an alert about Walmart stock. Didn't pay a penny over MSRP + sales tax.

Don't have a time machine. If you follow the plethora of people providing timely stock alerts you will see them. We have a thread going in this very forum.

https://hardforum.com/threads/h-stock-alerts-tips-tears-for-amd-nvidia-intel-ps5-xbox.2005068/

I got my PS5 and Series X by watching various sources including the above thread. My PS5, in fact, was delivered on Christmas Day last year thanks to an alert about Walmart stock. Didn't pay a penny over MSRP + sales tax.
That isn't exactly making it easy to get a PS5 or Xbox Series X when you gotta keep an eye on thread for stock alerts. That thread is also looking out for GPU's in stock.

Forza Motorsport 5 was a launch title on the Xbox One, meaning the game was released in 2013. I said several years for a reason because Microsoft didn't realize how fucked they were until after the Xbox One launch. Forza Motorsport 5 was released 8 years ago. You might as well add Conker's Bad Fur Day as a game that was never released on PC. Forza Motorsport 7 as well as 6 however are indeed on Windows. Demon's Souls requiring a PS5 is offensive when Sony shut down the PS3's network and never did backwards compatibility with the PS3. Xbox however does not have these problems with Forza Motorsport 5.

I like how you made a statement without doing any research on it and then did this obvious reach to try and confirm the validity of that statement. You should be happy to know that Xbox has no unique games that isn't also available on PC. Exclusives are anti-consumer.
I should have provided evidence first, but you did ask for games that are on Xbox and aren't on PC, and that's a prominent (if old) example. Functionally PC gamers won't miss out on too much, but they will miss out on some things. And keep in mind I was making a fairly easy statement to defend: that it's extremely unlikely every Xbox game ever made was also available on PC.

I don't find the Demon's Souls move offensive because From doesn't control Sony and had to make a decision that would justify development costs. A remaster for a console that will dictate the next several years of console gaming is likely smarter than a quick-and-dirty port that will only really appeal to people willing to pay for archival purposes. You can chastise Sony for cutting off PS3 network features, but I'm not

Uh, what? Microsoft bought Zenimax for a reason and we clearly see from this thread that none of those games are coming to Playstation. Owning a Playstation 5 means you lose out on Zenimax games like Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, and Doom Eternal 2. Those are facts. Don't think that Microsoft won't try to do the same thing to PC once Xbox has gaining enough market share. The only reason PC is getting these games is because the Xbox market share is not enough to satisfy developers sales. Xbox + PC though is enough to keep developers from porting their games to Playstation.
No, we don't "clearly" see. Microsoft has made no formal commitments yet. It's likely at least some of the games you mentioned won't get PlayStation releases, but you're still making a logical leap.

Xbox + PC is enough for Microsoft's in-house developers... because Microsoft will cover them. But how many major titles beyond Microsoft's are available that way and not on PlayStation? Outside of Microsoft, that makes the most sense for smaller devs who can collect some low-hanging fruit by adapting a game for the Xbox with minimal extra work. Also, Microsoft gaining console market share is a very big "if." The Xbox Series X/S is a return to form, but Sony probably isn't shaking in its boots.

Want some copium? Sounds like you're justifying the shitty situation that is exclusives.
No, I'm not justifying exclusives, I'm just outlining how things work in practice. Exclusives can suck, but they matter to a degree. It's a question of both how good the games are and whether or not there are comparable titles on the other side. Sony and Nintendo have longstanding reputations for numerous strong exclusives; Microsoft is only just recovering from a reputation for mediocre or easily countered exclusives, and the jury's still out on how well the ZeniMax deal will pan out in practice.

I have a Switch and modded it not to play Switch games because that's what my PC is for. I don't care about what's morally acceptable when I'm forced to buy multiple inferior pieces of hardware just to play one fucking game. I also don't find it morally correct that Nintendo is pushing for older N64 games on the Switch to cost a monthly $50 fee to play them, or that old Nintendo games now cost more than they did originally two decades ago. Don't like it then port your games.
Sorry, but that's a lousy argument. You don't get to steal games because you don't 'feel' like playing currently sold games on the platform they were designed for. And you certainly don't get to dictate morality after that. You don't have to like what Nintendo is doing with classic games, but you're not entitled to do anything you like in response.

What emulator have you seen that hasn't lasted forever? Do you know how open source works?
Nintendo alone has shut down emulators on iOS and the web, for instance. That's not including actions against ROM purveyors. And again, you're missing the point — just because an emulator has survived so far doesn't mean it's guaranteed to run forever. Open source helps avoid 'easy' shutdowns; it doesn't prevent platform creators from suing hosts or individual developers to make work difficult.

You know it's future games. You assume it's past is just supporting another bad argument you're trying to make. Why would anyone think that older games stopped working just because Microsoft bought Zenimax? Again you're reaching super hard.
Accurate language matters. If you mean future games, say that. Don't attack me for your inability to write clearly.

No, we don't "clearly" see. Microsoft has made no formal commitments yet. It's likely at least some of the games you mentioned won't get PlayStation releases, but you're still making a logical leap.
Then why would Microsoft buy Zenimax? Yes they make money but it wouldn't be a wise investment. They bought Zenimax for the same reasons why they bought Rare and Bungie and that's for exclusives.
Xbox + PC is enough for Microsoft's in-house developers... because Microsoft will cover them. But how many major titles beyond Microsoft's are available that way and not on PlayStation?
Microsoft will cover them to an extent just like Sony. Both have studios that are looking to make more sales and that's why both port games to PC. PC makes up 20% of the total gaming market while Xbox and Playstation have 28%. Playstation has over twice as much consoles sold compared to Xbox so it's safe to say that it owns 20% of the total market with Xbox to have about 8% or less. Sony studios are contempt with their potential 20% sales while studios under Microsoft would not be happy with 8% maximum total sales. That's a lot of sales that Microsoft can't possibly afford to make up, and even though Sony has a maybe 20% market share, the PC has another 20% for itself. Either way it makes sense that both companies would explore porting games to PC with Microsoft haven't less reason to be against it since it is running on Windows after all. Sony though has a much healthier market share and therefore doesn't need to port to PC as much, but greed will get the better of studios and ports will happen.

https://newzoo.com/insights/article...t-is-on-track-to-surpass-200-billion-in-2023/
Outside of Microsoft, that makes the most sense for smaller devs who can collect some low-hanging fruit by adapting a game for the Xbox with minimal extra work.
Zenimax is now inside Microsoft, and therefore will do what Microsoft wants. The only problem Microsoft has to face is if key developers leave and make their own studios as it has happened in the past.
Also, Microsoft gaining console market share is a very big "if." The Xbox Series X/S is a return to form, but Sony probably isn't shaking in its boots.
I don't doubt it. The Xbox One has failed too hard for Microsoft to magic wand a solution. Porting their games to PC will just push more of their player base to PC where Valve has more power than they do. This is evident when Halo Infinite was launched on Steam and became one of the most played games on Steam.
No, I'm not justifying exclusives, I'm just outlining how things work in practice. Exclusives can suck, but they matter to a degree. It's a question of both how good the games are and whether or not there are comparable titles on the other side. Sony and Nintendo have longstanding reputations for numerous strong exclusives; Microsoft is only just recovering from a reputation for mediocre or easily countered exclusives, and the jury's still out on how well the ZeniMax deal will pan out in practice.
Keep in mind that movie theaters did have exclusives and they made that illegal a long time ago because it was anti-competitive. Movies haven't suffered as a result of this move.
Sorry, but that's a lousy argument. You don't get to steal games because you don't 'feel' like playing currently sold games on the platform they were designed for. And you certainly don't get to dictate morality after that. You don't have to like what Nintendo is doing with classic games, but you're not entitled to do anything you like in response.
To be honest your compliance isn't a factor. Nothing you believe, say, or do will change what's going on in the world. Emulators are going to emulate and will continue to be developed and be used forever. Morally it's called game preservation because surely Sony can't be bothered to do anything about that.
Nintendo alone has shut down emulators on iOS and the web, for instance.
Apple shuts down any emulators on iOS because Apple doesn't want the competition. If you can run an emulator then you can circumvent the App Store. You'll find plenty of GameBoy Advance Emulators on Android because emulators aren't illegal. Also you bought an Apple product and therefore made a mistake. You don't own the device, you're renting it.
That's not including actions against ROM purveyors.
You can rip your own roms with plenty of tools available, legally. If you need to rip them that is.
And again, you're missing the point — just because an emulator has survived so far doesn't mean it's guaranteed to run forever. Open source helps avoid 'easy' shutdowns; it doesn't prevent platform creators from suing hosts or individual developers to make work difficult.
Sony and Nintendo has tried and failed, multiple times. Sony ended up buying Virtual Game Station because they lost in court. Bleem won in court but couldn't afford to continue to make emulators. Nothing going to happen to any emulators.
whatever-happened-to-bleemcast-1.jpg

Accurate language matters. If you mean future games, say that. Don't attack me for your inability to write clearly.
So does common sense.

Last edited:
It makes 100% sense for microsoft to exclusive the large zenimax titles to their systems. For something more experimental they maybe ported to all systems.

I am surprised that this is still being debated. Microsoft acquired Zenimax for one reason: for exclusive rights to their intellectual property. No future Bethesda titles are going to be released outside of Microsoft platforms, end of story.

Then why would Microsoft buy Zenimax? Yes they make money but it wouldn't be a wise investment. They bought Zenimax for the same reasons why they bought Rare and Bungie and that's for exclusives.
Oh, I'm sure Microsoft bought ZeniMax with exclusives in mind — it's just a question of whether or not all games will be exclusives. You might see some games with exclusivity periods, or even non-exclusives if Microsoft decides a large audience is more important than driving console sales (say, an online-focused title).

Microsoft will cover them to an extent just like Sony. Both have studios that are looking to make more sales and that's why both port games to PC. PC makes up 20% of the total gaming market while Xbox and Playstation have 28%. Playstation has over twice as much consoles sold compared to Xbox so it's safe to say that it owns 20% of the total market with Xbox to have about 8% or less. Sony studios are contempt with their potential 20% sales while studios under Microsoft would not be happy with 8% maximum total sales. That's a lot of sales that Microsoft can't possibly afford to make up, and even though Sony has a maybe 20% market share, the PC has another 20% for itself. Either way it makes sense that both companies would explore porting games to PC with Microsoft haven't less reason to be against it since it is running on Windows after all. Sony though has a much healthier market share and therefore doesn't need to port to PC as much, but greed will get the better of studios and ports will happen.
Ports will happen... but I do think it's important to temper expectations. There isn't likely to be a flood of PlayStation to PC ports; many, including major ones, will arrive long after the PlayStation versions.

Keep in mind that movie theaters did have exclusives and they made that illegal a long time ago because it was anti-competitive. Movies haven't suffered as a result of this move.
Mind you, studios also didn't design movies optimized for theater chains' specific hardware. I wouldn't mind fewer exclusives, but so long as the game industry is based on platforms they'll be options and will likely remain legal. You can't force developers to support all major systems.

To be honest your compliance isn't a factor. Nothing you believe, say, or do will change what's going on in the world. Emulators are going to emulate and will continue to be developed and be used forever. Morally it's called game preservation because surely Sony can't be bothered to do anything about that.
I'm definitely aware emulators will likely linger for a long time; it's just not something you should count toward game availability, since emulation is not guaranteed, not entirely legal and a hobbyist niche. And yes, there's a gray area for abandoned titles. But when you're playing Switch games that are currently on sale, especially if you haven't paid for them? Sorry, that's flatly unethical.

Apple shuts down any emulators on iOS because Apple doesn't want the competition. If you can run an emulator then you can circumvent the App Store. You'll find plenty of GameBoy Advance Emulators on Android because emulators aren't illegal. Also you bought an Apple product and therefore made a mistake. You don't own the device, you're renting it.
I wouldn't say it's competition. Emulators are a small fraction of gaming even on Windows. Apple is definitely protective of the App Store, but it's probably more concerned about third-party paid stores and security (see: the requirement to use WebKit for any browser) than the competitive 'threat' of someone playing a pirated 2002 GBA game.

And please drop the "omg you're groaning under the yoke of oppression" schtick. They're phones and tablets, not political manifestos. iPhone users are just fine; Android users are just fine. And very few people will base their mobile purchases on their ability to play pirated games.

Oh, I'm sure Microsoft bought ZeniMax with exclusives in mind — it's just a question of whether or not all games will be exclusives. You might see some games with exclusivity periods, or even non-exclusives if Microsoft decides a large audience is more important than driving console sales (say, an online-focused title).
It still boggles my mind that people believe this. What makes Microsoft different from Sony or Nintendo? Can you show me a PlayStation exclusive game that has been released on a Xbox console where the license holder didn't force Sony's hand?

It still boggles my mind that people believe this. What makes Microsoft different from Sony or Nintendo? Can you show me a PlayStation exclusive game that has been released on a Xbox console where the license holder didn't force Sony's hand?
This is why the ideal gaming setup is: PC, Playstation, xbox if you can't afford a PC, Switch, mobile, Apple PCs.

YMMV depending on personal choice, but if its triple A titles you want the above should be your priority. You'll get 90% of everything on a PC, missing out on 10% of the exclusives which are actually largely on Switch, with very few residing on PS. Apple and gaming just is not much of a thing and never will be.

It's not so much that I believe it, it's that theory and practice often collide. I'm sure Microsoft thought the Bungie deal would last a lot longer, too. I won't be surprised at all if every ZeniMax game (or at least, major games) going forward is Xbox-exclusive on console; I just don't want to presume anything.

This is why the ideal gaming setup is: PC, Playstation, xbox if you can't afford a PC, Switch, mobile, Apple PCs.

YMMV depending on personal choice, but if its triple A titles you want the above should be your priority. You'll get 90% of everything on a PC, missing out on 10% of the exclusives which are actually largely on Switch, with very few residing on PS. Apple and gaming just is not much of a thing and never will be.
Gaming on Apple mobile platforms is great (lack of Fortnite notwithstanding), as games often either show up first or run better; on desktop... yeah, it's still a mess. I'd be curious to see what happens if more devs get their acts together and update their games for Apple Silicon.

Gaming on Apple mobile platforms is great (lack of Fortnite notwithstanding), as games often either show up first or run better; on desktop... yeah, it's still a mess. I'd be curious to see what happens if more devs get their acts together and update their games for Apple Silicon.
Been hearing that one since 2001 that apple desktops are going to beat em all... oh wait mobile. Yeah, I don't touch those POS'es and I have an iPhone. I am far to old and experienced, I have zero interest in wading through the massive amount of P2W, loot box, gambling, complete and utter garbage titles just to find a few gems. Mobile gaming is filled with the scum of scum in both quality and practices.

The apple store is a mess of bot fed recommendations to get people into gambling. Not to mention its largely just repurposed flash games from newgrounds sold to people.

That and mobile gaming is directly responsible for the most abusive and predatory practices in the industry.

Last edited:
Been hearing that one since 2001 that apple desktops are going to beat em all... oh wait mobile. Yeah, I don't touch those POS'es and I have an iPhone. I am far to old and experienced, I have zero interest in wading through the massive amount of P2W, loot box, gambling, complete and utter garbage titles just to find a few gems. Mobile gaming is filled with the scum of scum in both quality and practices.

The apple store is a mess of bot fed recommendations to get people into gambling. Not to mention its largely just repurposed flash games from newgrounds sold to people.

That and mobile gaming is directly responsible for the most abusive and predatory practices in the industry.
One solution: see what Apple Arcade is offering and download those (not necessarily through an Arcade sub, of course). Apple generally limits Arcade to titles that set a high bar... no pay-to-win, gambling or paid loot box mechanics. On Arcade they can't even charge for extra content.

Back