Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

This could be the best game ever... but if it doesn't support >60 FPS, I'll pass. That is a huge letdown and simply unacceptable for a title releasing in the year 2022.

This could be the best game ever... but if it doesn't support >60 FPS, I'll pass. That is a huge letdown and simply unacceptable for a title releasing in the year 2022.
The 60 FPS limit in all the other Souls games has never been an issue.

I was in a Guild in Rift and this chick got like 10 FPS on her PC and she played the game no problems.

I'm a sucker for MOAR FPS, but 60fps is the spot where everything higher is cake. Would it be nice to get 120fps? Sure. Does it really matter, though? Not to me. Especially when they're going to be including things like ray tracing that might make even hitting 60fps a challenge. I just want the game to be smooth and to hopefully not have issues with Gsync. We've had to put up with a very choppy 30fps in Bloodborne for years, so I never want to deal with anything like that again.

I'm a sucker for MOAR FPS, but 60fps is the spot where everything higher is cake. Would it be nice to get 120fps? Sure. Does it really matter, though? Not to me. Especially when they're going to be including things like ray tracing that might make even hitting 60fps a challenge. I just want the game to be smooth and to hopefully not have issues with Gsync. We've had to put up with a very choppy 30fps in Bloodborne for years, so I never want to deal with anything like that again.
The input delay in the original Dark Souls II was also quite annoying. It was made better in SotFS, but it was still annoying to deal with sometimes. It makes me believe that the delay may have been intentional, which is artificial difficulty that I hate. DS2 had the makings of a great game, but there are so many little things about it that makes it my most hated game in the saga.

are they using the same engine as Dark Souls 3?...ray-tracing support was a nice surprise

The input delay in the original Dark Souls II was also quite annoying. It was made better in SotFS, but it was still annoying to deal with sometimes. It makes me believe that the delay may have been intentional, which is artificial difficulty that I hate. DS2 had the makings of a great game, but there are so many little things about it that makes it my most hated game in the saga.
i played through DS2 in borderless w/ Gsync, it worked excellent and completely eliminated input lag. i also used an Xbox controller emulator with the deadzones tuned so that the camera and movement were linear like all the other From games. without those two "tweaks" i wouldn't have bothered playing. unfortunately windowed Gsync was broken like 3 years ago with a key change to the windows DWM (which for some reason to this day has just gone completely unnoticed by MS and Nvidia) so that option is gone unless you run a very old build of Windows 10.

edit: this is on a 165hz display btw. that's part of why the input lag in DS2 sucks, even if you have a display capable of higher refresh rates, it's hard coded for 60hz. borderless gets around that limitation

dont-pre.gif

IMO you can safely watch the first 5 minutes of this (exactly 5) and not have any intense spoilers:

My biggest impression is that the movement and animations look to be tighter and more fluid---yet more responsive, than ever. It looks like it will be a joy to interact with the game.

The official stream from the other day had terrible frame delivery issues on the stream. I couldn't even stand watching it for a minute.

I've been watching bits and pieces of videos from the Network Test and wow!...open world Dark Souls...the map looks massive with so much to do and see...I could care less about re-used assets when they were best in class to begin with...this not only looks like From Software's best game but an all time great!...February 25th can't come soon enough...good thing there's God of War PC (January) and Dying Light 2 (early February) to fill the time...2022 is starting out Hot!

I'm not going to watch any more gameplay I'm sure someone will have the game totally spoiled from here to launch.
The only person who deserves to play this game is poly everyone else is spoiled rich kids like Mr. Beast.

I'm not going to watch any more gameplay I'm sure someone will have the game totally spoiled from here to launch.
The only person who deserves to play this game is poly everyone else is spoiled rich kids like Mr. Beast.

the Network Test is only the beginning starting area (which still looks pretty massive)...5 more areas like that and I'll be in gaming heaven...I'll most likely be playing multiple playthroughs of Elden Ring throughout 2022

Fightin Cowboy loving it

"FROM Software's magnum opus.... absolutely massive... anticipate hundreds of hours to see everything"

Last edited:
higher FPS is all fine and good for stuff like flight sims, shooters, racing SIMS but for RPGs like this it doesn't really matter. also a fair amount of games like this or fighting games have certain tricks that are tied to frame rate. so having it all over the place or two fucks FUBARs things.

Base PS4 footage is out and it looks to be a solid 30fps, without drastic frame pacing issues. I know this is a PC thread but, its still good to see they have improved their frame pacing since Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

higher FPS is all fine and good for stuff like flight sims, shooters, racing SIMS but for RPGs like this it doesn't really matter. also a fair amount of games like this or fighting games have certain tricks that are tied to frame rate. so having it all over the place or two fucks FUBARs things.
spoken like someone who hasn't experienced high FPS.

The only titles I can stand under 60 (prefer 144) are RTS games.

High FPS fighting games are amazing, so I don't agree with you at all.

High FPS is great.

However, this game will be fine at 30fps. I recently played Dark Souls 1 up to the Taurus Demon, on Nintendo Switch, docked to a 1080p monitor with excellent response times. And it was totally fine. (its a mostly stable 30fps).

High FPS is great.

However, this game will be fine at 30fps. I recently played Dark Souls 1 up to the Taurus Demon, on Nintendo Switch, docked to a 1080p monitor with excellent response times. And it was totally fine. (its a mostly stable 30fps).
I strongly disagree, I cannot stomach dark souls 1 or Bloodborne, and a lot of console games now. I geniunely notice the chop of 30fps and it curns my stomach.

I strongly disagree, I cannot stomach dark souls 1 or Bloodborne, and a lot of console games now. I geniunely notice the chop of 30fps and it curns my stomach.
Some aren't affected by motion sickness at lower framerates. Tbh I feel jealous :p

I decided to watch the 19 minute gameplay demo...I didn't want too many spoilers so I tried to avoid it but my curiosity got the better of me...the map looks huge!...a lot more colorful as well...it's pretty much Dark Souls 4...my only slight negative is the horse traversal mechanic...I wish they had gone with the grappling hook mechanic of Sekiro or something similar

seems like a cheat in some ways where you can die and just ride the horse past any enemies to get to your bloodstain...the graphics look fine in terms of the overall presentation but the foliage and other textures do look low-res in parts...overall I'm sure this is going to consume months of gameplay for me and will be a GOTY if not one of the best games ever made...February 2022 can't come soon enough
I changed my mind on the horse thing after watching a few streams this weekend. Initial impression was "horse=janky", but turns out the horse is actually great, in terms of exactly what it needs to be for a Souls game: a fast-reflex, tightly-integrated extension of your character rather than a lumbering pet. It's abstract by design. Everything moves too quickly in this game for an RDR2 horse with a cute name that you spend collective hours whistling for and waiting for it to come, mounting animations, etc.

The horse is both a traversal tool to deal with the massive map size as well as new verticality, but also a combat tool for a lot of situations. Example taking swings at a Dragon's legs while on foot and then quickly spawning the horse underneath you to barely outrun fire that you couldn't otherwise.

Also some of the horse-mounted enemies and mini bosses are badass. If you remember how intimidating the first Black Knight you encounter in Dark Souls 1 was in terms of getting insta-pancaked, some of the horse-mounted baddies bring back that feeling.

Last edited:
The horse is both a traversal tool to deal with the massive map size as well as new verticality, but also a combat tool for a lot of situations. Example taking swings at a Dragon's legs while on foot and then quickly spawning the horse underneath you to barely outrun fire that you couldn't otherwise

I'm sure From will balance it correctly but the fact that you can use the horse to attack an enemy and then just sprint away on horseback has the potential to be silly...hit an enemy, run away on horse, come back again and get another hit, run away, rinse and repeat for the people that love to cheese their way through tough encounters

IMO absolutely nothing is okay at 30fps. At best a wonderfully designed game might be tolerable, but that's as far as I'll go. It's 60 or nothing. That said, I think you hit diminishing returns above 60. 120 looks better than 60, but it's miniscule compared to the jump from 30 to 60. Kind of like how the jump from 720p to 1060/1080p was absolutely massive while the jump to 1440, and even 4K isn't as impressive.

I'm sure From will balance it correctly but the fact that you can use the horse to attack an enemy and then just sprint away on horseback has the potential to be silly...hit an enemy, run away on horse, come back again and get another hit, run away, rinse and repeat for the people that love to cheese their way through tough encounters
Except you can't do that since there's a cooldown, and wouldn't be practical anyway. I think people will find the horse fine was really my main point. It fits the game.

And horse is disabled in PvP as well as many game areas.

Except you can't do that since there's a cooldown, and wouldn't be practical anyway. I think people will find the horse fine was really my main point. It fits the game.

And horse is disabled in PvP as well as many game areas.

the cooldown is only in effect if you get knocked off your horse...in outdoor areas you also have unlimited stamina...in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal as I plan on beating every enemy without any summons or horse companion etc...the horse is fine for traversal but I still think the Sekiro grappling hook would have worked just as well

IMO absolutely nothing is okay at 30fps. At best a wonderfully designed game might be tolerable, but that's as far as I'll go. It's 60 or nothing. That said, I think you hit diminishing returns above 60. 120 looks better than 60, but it's miniscule compared to the jump from 30 to 60. Kind of like how the jump from 720p to 1060/1080p was absolutely massive while the jump to 1440, and even 4K isn't as impressive.
I think you need your eyes checked... Going from 60 to 120 is a clear massive difference just as going from 1080p to 4k is on a 27" monitor.

You need to seriously stop worrying about how others play their single-player content.

Dark Souls 3 prior to the 60 FPS patch on consoles was literally unplayable for me. It felt like the game was running closer to 20 FPS most of the time. 60 FPS is fine, though. All the Souls games on PC run with this cap, so it won't be an issue with Elden Ring.

Dark Souls 3 prior to the 60 FPS patch on consoles was literally unplayable for me. It felt like the game was running closer to 20 FPS most of the time. 60 FPS is fine, though. All the Souls games on PC run with this cap, so it won't be an issue with Elden Ring.
That's at least partially because it also suffered from frame pacing issues. Bloodborne before it, had the same issue.

Elden Ring looks to be smoothed out:

Yeah no, 60fps is not acceptable. From fans can spin it any way they want, but it's such a letdown.

Back