Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

It's a definite buy from my perspective. In that preview I swear parts of the castle section remind me of stuff from the beginning of Demon's Souls.

I'll buy it, just a question of when since I don't like pre-ordering games.

I pre-ordered DkS3 and it sat on my backlog for years before I picked it up and did NG -> NG++ playthroughs back to back to back. At least, I think I stopped on ++.

so the Collector's edition with that statue, artbook etc will only be available in Europe?...I rarely buy CE's but I did get the Dark Souls 2 CE with that cool 12" Warrior Knight figurine...I still have it displayed on my shelf

so the Collector's edition with that statue, artbook etc will only be available in Europe?...I rarely buy CE's but I did get the Dark Souls 2 CE with that cool 12" Warrior Knight figurine...I still have it displayed on my shelf
It's also available in the USA. It sold out from stores in roughly 20 minutes from when Game Stop & Best Buy put it on sale. Now, there's just the official Bandai Namco store, where it's suppose to only be sold from, so who knows.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of "limited edition" games. If 10x the people want to order the CE, why not just make 10x more? After all, the extra stuff probably really only adds a few extra dollars to the cost for an item that sells for $70+ to the base version.

It's also available in the USA. It sold out from stores in roughly 20 minutes from when Game Stop & Best Buy put it on sale. Now, there's just the official Bandai Namco store, where it's suppose to only be sold from, so who knows.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of "limited edition" games. If 10x the people want to order the CE, why not just make 10x more? After all, the extra stuff probably really only adds a few extra dollars to the cost for an item that sells for $70+ to the base version.

It's worth less if more people can have it. The entire point of things being priced high is that not all the people that want it can afford it, and not all the people that can afford it can get one. If most people can afford it or there are enough for everyone can then it's just a worthless 5 bucks of plastic and cardboard. Welcome to markets and capitalism!

I never played zelda, but dragons dogma definitely didn't look like a masterpiece when I tried it. It might have some redeeming qualities but I just couldn't get over the awful washed out console port graphics.

You're not missing much. It blows my mind how people will gush over a game just because it's made by Nintendo; BOTW is a masterclass in tedium.

It's worth less if more people can have it. The entire point of things being priced high is that not all the people that want it can afford it, and not all the people that can afford it can get one. If most people can afford it or there are enough for everyone can then it's just a worthless 5 bucks of plastic and cardboard. Welcome to markets and capitalism!
CEs can barely hold onto their value over time. Limiting stock is supremely stupid. They should make as many as there are people who want it.

CEs can barely hold onto their value over time. Limiting stock is supremely stupid. They should make as many as there are people who want it.
Collectors edition just supposed to mean the version for devoted fans or enthusiasts. Not the plain soccer mom edition.
Nobody wins on limiting stock. Even if the value would go up (which it doesn't) the publisher will never benefit from that.
I don't think it's about deliberately limiting stock, just grossly underestimating demand. If copies of the regular edition remain on shelves nobody cares, it costs $2 to make them. But a $200 collectors edition might cost $50 to make. They want those to sell out to the last piece.

You're not missing much. It blows my mind how people will gush over a game just because it's made by Nintendo; BOTW is a masterclass in tedium.
I suspected that much. I never understood the cult of nintendo. The most overrated company ever. The shit they pulled with trying to demand a fee for let's plays and their entire company culture stinks. Not to mention their games look like they are made for a 3-12 age bracket.

I suspected that much. I never understood the cult of nintendo. The most overrated company ever. The shit they pulled with trying to demand a fee for let's plays and their entire company culture stinks. Not to mention their games look like they are made for a 3-12 age bracket.

This is all FUD. They are just the gold standard of a few things. Just as say from software is the gold standard of the Souls style games or Capcom and particularly Street Fighter is the gold standard of RPGs, Blizzard of RTS. Nintendo just has more things they do the best. This exists everywhere.

And "Cult of" on a website where people think their platform of choice makes them a master race? Made for 3-12 year olds when that platform looks like a freaking light show as a selling point now? Personal shots at them are fine and all but it's not like that stuff doesn't apply exactly the same on the other side of the debate here as well.

15 minute gameplay preview will air live tomorrow at 10:00 EDT/07:00 PDT.

So this is another one of those bad guys disguised as a "hard game" because of crappy animation syncing and lame save points. Just looking at how dumb those NPCs are was all I needed to know. You can't hear your buddies being slashed to death 10 feet away? Nor could you see an enemy 7 feet in front of you, while you're looking directly at them and walking towards them? Pass. This is one of those artificially difficult games. Dumb enemies and ways to tackle problems = kind boring.

This is all FUD. They are just the gold standard of a few things. Just as say from software is the gold standard of the Souls style games or Capcom and particularly Street Fighter is the gold standard of RPGs, Blizzard of RTS. Nintendo just has more things they do the best. This exists everywhere.
There are no gold standards, you are just trying to sell your own preferred games as the "best in their class". I always preferred westwood over Blizzard, Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter, and the mere mention of "souls like" games gives me the creeps. I was hoping this would be different, but now seeing the gameplay I know my hopes were misplaced.
And "Cult of" on a website where people think their platform of choice makes them a master race? Made for 3-12 year olds when that platform looks like a freaking light show as a selling point now? Personal shots at them are fine and all but it's not like that stuff doesn't apply exactly the same on the other side of the debate here as well.
I wasn't talking about that kind of cult. I was referring to how people hold nintendo in a cult status. BTW what are you doing here if you have such a low view of the people who frequent this forum? I don't know why do you think this is a personal attack, zelda and mario does look like kids games, even if a ton of adults play them. Am I not allowed to state the obvious? I don't think there is anything wrong with playing a kid friendly game as an adult, do you?

There are no gold standards, you are just trying to sell your own preferred games as the "best in their class". I always preferred westwood over Blizzard, Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter, and the mere mention of "souls like" games gives me the creeps. I was hoping this would be different, but now seeing the gameplay I know my hopes were misplaced.

I wasn't talking about that kind of cult. I was referring to how people hold nintendo in a cult status. BTW what are you doing here if you have such a low view of the people who frequent this forum? I don't know why do you think this is a personal attack, zelda and mario does look like kids games, even if a ton of adults play them. Am I not allowed to state the obvious? I don't think there is anything wrong with playing a kid friendly game as an adult, do you?

Zelda was reviewed as that and rated by it's fans which is why I went with it. When that's the overwhelming opinion of it, that it is what it is! I may disagree with what the best Final Fantasy is but when all the critics and the majority of the people who played them all think it's another one poo-pooing it and saying it's bad for XYZ and they are all in a cult is nothing more than sour grapes.

And I was throwing your cult and childish back at you because you were pulling a case of pot kettle "nintendo people are all cultish people with kiddy stuff, says man with a rainbow flashy box owned by those who call themselves a master race" is kinda funny when you step back and look at it. Nothing wrong with being able to laugh at yourself there!

This is all FUD.
Fud means fear, uncertainty and doubt, I see none of those things. That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Nintendo games are fine, their fun, slightly offbeat/unique, but their adherants are definately cult like, as is evidenced here.

What does any of this have to do with Elden Ring?

I never played zelda, but dragons dogma definitely didn't look like a masterpiece when I tried it. It might have some redeeming qualities but I just couldn't get over the awful washed out console port graphics.
It took me multiple attempts to get into Dragon's Dogma, but once it finally "clicked" I had a lot of fun.
It triggered that same excitement I get from From/Souls games - create my own character, min/max my build, play dress-up/fashion, and explore a hostile, dangerous yet bleak/minimal gothic fantasy setting where player skill tends to matter the most. Oh and pretty much no tutorials/instructions - learn by playing/exploring the mechanics yourself. Basically the exact opposite of most "modern" bullshit dopamine-hit-every-second YT/twitch hype games.

Based on what you've written in your reviews I don't think DD is really your type of game to begin with and the washed out "graphics" surely don't help I agree.

I am very much looking forward to Elden Ring precisely because it looks like past From games, and unlike the crap that is Sekiro, we are back to proper Western medieval/gothic fantasy and I can create and build out my own character again. Minimal direct story telling, no quest "logs"/markers, almost no direction, etc are all features in my opinion.

I am very much looking forward to Elden Ring precisely because it looks like past From games, and unlike the crap that is Sekiro, we are back to proper Western medieval/gothic fantasy and I can create and build out my own character again. Minimal direct story telling, no quest "logs"/markers, almost no direction, etc are all features in my opinion.
100%. "The story is told in the margins" as Miyazaki puts it. It's powerful literary device because when you have to piece it together on your own brainpower then the dopamine hits harder at those a-ha moments.

The Japanese take on gothic horror is also an interesting flavor. It's pretty distinct. I can't remember where I saw it but some of FROM's concept art for the different in-game assets across their titles - the various creatures and NPCs and bosses - are mind bending. In a class of their own. Most never make it into the game but seem right out of LSD induced nightmares.

The Japanese take on gothic horror is also an interesting flavor. It's pretty distinct. I can't remember where I saw it but some of FROM's concept art for the different in-game assets across their titles - the various creatures and NPCs and bosses - are mind bending. In a class of their own. Most never make it into the game but seem right out of LSD induced nightmares.
Yeah and not just gothic horror but also their realization of Lovecraftian themes in Bloodborne (more so in the DLC) is very special compared to Western games that try the same.

"Masterclass in tedium". That is a spot-on description.

Oh and pretty much no tutorials/instructions - learn by playing/exploring the mechanics yourself.
The problem with that is that in games the rules are arbitrary, and often go against logic or reality. So they must disclose the rules in advance, or have rules that are self explanatory. Because trial and error is no fun.
Basically the exact opposite of most "modern" bullshit dopamine-hit-every-second YT/twitch hype games.
That has nothing to do with having a tutorial and / or clearly defined rules.
Having / creating your own character and no quest markers are good things. But no direction and minimalist storytelling are deal breakers for me.

Sekiro just needs to build up a fan base. And a a EZ mode coop. I loved the 1st boss in Sekiro

Sekiro just needs to build up a fan base. And a a EZ mode coop. I loved the 1st boss in Sekiro

Sekiro was a purely single-player game for a long time. They patched in some pseudo MP elements later, but they're pretty minimal. The gadgets also simply aren't as versatile as having different weapons. That's one reason there isn't much of a community for the game. It's a fun ride and a great game, but there are only just so many ways to play it. It's not like the Souls games where you have 15-20 totally different weapon types, 2 magical styles, dual-wielding, and PvP.

Grabbed it for $45.00 from GamersGate....WTF I now have two concurrent pre-orders, what the hell is going on?!

Five Elden Ring classes revealed

To hype up the upcoming closed beta network test (console only) From Software has revealed the classes that will be available in it, writing that "In seven days, these five brave Tarnished will cross the Sea of Fog"...the five options are Warrior, Enchanted Knight, Prophet, Champion, and Bloody Wolf, each available in two body types...

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1456652576678678531

ER1.jpg
ER2.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if the classes mean anything beyond your starting stats/gear like in the Souls games.

Looks like good starting character they must use a smudge stick on them to make them look dirty and not too shiny.

So apparently, they have been using same fucking engine since ps3 demon's soul... that's 2009. NO WONDER.

What's the appeal with games like this? Easy dopamine fix from beating an insanely hard boss?

What's the appeal with games like this? Easy dopamine fix from beating an insanely hard boss?

Partially, yeah. Their games in this kind of format tend to be challenging, but also I personally love the environments, characters, the whole aesthetic, the lore/mythos, etc. Regarding games like Dark Souls, there is usually a variety of ways to build a character out so you have a lot of cool options to play with.

The difficulty is one of the things I like about Dark Souls, but it isn't the major reason I play the series. I like the setting and the weird dark fantasy vibe. It's like a trippy black metal tinged universe. Plus, once you get adjusted to the control scheme, it becomes second nature. It's familiar, it's versatile, and it gives you a lot of different approaches. The challenge keeps me coming back, though. It's a feeling of accomplishment that few other games can provide. It's a genuine relief when you win certain battles. You're against tough odds, but things are mostly fair with a touch of RNG bullshit tossed in for good measure.

Back in March, a rumor regarding a new RPG developed by From Software with George RR Martin consulting/writing started circulating online....
Spoiler alert, all the interesting characters die. :p

too many people associate From Software games with difficulty...for me it's more about the level design, world building, enemy design, variety of builds/weapon types/armor...yes I love the difficulty but that's a bit overstated...the combat is so fluid in these games...wielding a heavy weapon versus wielding a fast weapon etc...using magic vs miracles vs pyromancy etc...just perfect games...not to mention that they are pretty bug free at launch (frame pacing issues are there but overall the games are shipped when they are ready)

I decided to watch the 19 minute gameplay demo...I didn't want too many spoilers so I tried to avoid it but my curiosity got the better of me...the map looks huge!...a lot more colorful as well...it's pretty much Dark Souls 4...my only slight negative is the horse traversal mechanic...I wish they had gone with the grappling hook mechanic of Sekiro or something similar

seems like a cheat in some ways where you can die and just ride the horse past any enemies to get to your bloodstain...the graphics look fine in terms of the overall presentation but the foliage and other textures do look low-res in parts...overall I'm sure this is going to consume months of gameplay for me and will be a GOTY if not one of the best games ever made...February 2022 can't come soon enough

Back