Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So,

Not that I really want to spend $420 on a GPU water block, but I was curious what the clearances need to be for EK's GPU active backplates, but couldn't find that information anywhere on their site, so I reached out to their support.

If anyone needs it, here is the info:

?name=image.png

?name=image.png

They really ought to put this information on the product page. There is a drawing there with some key dimensions, but this dimension is notably absent.

This means it won't work on my Threadripper board, as I only have about ~9.5mm clearance to the RAM slots. At least not without a vertical GPU bracket.

Funnily enough, this active backplate is the first time I have seen a real reason to even consider a vertical GPU bracket, but the way I have my loop set up in my case, it wouldn't fit for me (which is amusing considering I have the gargantuan Corsair 1000D. (I swear to god this case is a reverse Tardis. It's bigger on the outside!)

I'm going to have to go with the plain single sided water block for mine, but I hope this is helpful to someone else, so you don't order a part that takes the slow boat from from Slovenia only to find out you can't use it.

Same issue for me. Installed the WB and active backplate on my 4090 but it wouldn't fit into my evga Z690 Dark.

Have to use the bottom PCIe slot which is capped at 8x.

Seems like a major oversight by EK since my of the higher end boards have some sort of Heatsink on top of the PCIe slot.

Same issue for me. Installed the WB and active backplate on my 4090 but it wouldn't fit into my evga Z690 Dark.

Have to use the bottom PCIe slot which is capped at 8x.

Seems like a major oversight by EK since my of the higher end boards have some sort of Heatsink on top of the PCIe slot.

They are probably assuming people will install it vertically with a flexible riser which is so popular among the kids these days who want to show off their GPU through the case window.

Are that many people using a riser these days?

I guess its one way for EK to charge for another $100-150 product

Are that many people using a riser these days?

I guess its one way for EK to charge for another $100-150 product

I think us old timers in web forums are the exception.

I'm also a member of a few social media groups, and in there the young kids seem to consider a vertical mount an absolute must have. They want the window of their case facing the door to their room so anyone who walks in can behold their "masterpiece" :p

It's a completely different world out there. We are a little bit insular here. I've often heard us referred to as "those web forums that somehow still exist", as if we don't have the BY FAR superior sites for actually having a discussion rather than just flashing posts.

If you want an eye opening experience, take a look at one of the many "PC Master Race" groups on Facebook.

Not only are the kids vain with their builds these days, they are also really ignorant about tech. So many of them conflate "internet access" and "wifi" or do things like post screenshots by taking pictures of their screen with their phones, something that used to be considered a "total grandmother" move that would get you made fun of. Now it is seemingly the norm among the kids.

20 years ago most of them would have just stayed on consoles, leaving custom PC builds to the geeks, but for better or for worse PC gaming has had a renaissance over the last decade opening up the hobby to people who just don't have a clue, or people who value "show" over "go".

Back