Ebay charges tax?

It's not hard to make that work, they have your account if you're able to bid, and your address is part of your account. At the very least, it should say what you just wrote somewhere ... anywhere on the screen when you bid and have a demo tax rate/price included. But no, it's deceptively excluded on purpose as a gotcha.

Your edgy "I'm so good at math" response is just ridiculous. Of course I know math, I can do that calculation instantly; I'm a programmer. For me, it's not just relatively simple multiplication, it's effortless. The fact that places are actively hiding what rules even apply for a given purchase, is a the problem. But lets say someone who doesn't know math, like a teenager wants to buy stuff; why do you need to deceive them?

Instead of trying to convince someone you're anything but a proponent of bad policy and trying to shame people for 'being bad at math" (which isn't even the issue we're talking about), come up with an actual reason that makes sense why it can't be. There really is none though. Europe already has it right; it was hard to explain to my friends when they visited why our system is so stupid. You shouldn't ever visit some place and be deceived by the prices you see around you; that feels third world-esque.

How would you explain it... does it go like.. "Oh yeah.. that's actually -not- the amount you pay. :dummy:, you have to remember an arbitrary state % tax ... uhhh gee, I forget what it is in this state, then calculate it yourself." Great end user experience there... Imagine the reason for it, being that someone argued that WYSWYG is a bad idea. Good work, friend.
Stop trying to pass off responsibility. This is that mythical common sense thing. Teach your children, advance yourself, your family, and the human race. Claiming sales tax (which varies based on location of buyer and is 100% out of sellers control) should be sellers responsibility to advertise is asinine.

It's not deceptive.

My point on why it doesn't actually make sense was in my post. As well as reiterated in more words above.

North America alone is 10 times the size of Europe, with geographic and other reasons why taxes must be different. This isn't Europe, never will be. Europe doesn't have it right. They have their own rules for a small country sized area. Guess who calculates the tax when someone from Slovakia wants to buy something from me?

First sentences, not going to even bother, that's just projection. This isn't a "teach you moment", this is a "why is it this stupid?" moment.

You argument falls flat on it's face so hard.

1) North America isn't even what we're talking about; lets start simple, we're in the USA.
2) Europe is a set of literally different countries and they can get it right, and we can't? I mean, lol.

Guess who calculates the tax when someone from Slovakia wants to buy something from me?
Depends on how you're selling, and what storefront you're using, I'm not going to speculate. If you were buying something from the EU, it would already be included into the price. If they have to calculate taxes if buying from you, that is actually a major issue. If they pass that burden on to you, then you should be lobbying for this change for transparency from a tax API connected to your data or something else similar. Just because you're used to doing simple multiplication and are proud that you can, doesn't mean it's a useful process. It would be better if it wasn't a 'pain in the ass' to figure out what rates to use. Why would anyone argue otherwise is beyond me.

For a major platform like eBay, it's simply inexcusable, and they should do much better.

Last edited:
First sentences, not going to even bother, that's just projection. This isn't a "teach you moment", this is a "why is it this stupid?" moment.

You argument falls flat on it's face so hard.

1) North America isn't even what we're talking about; lets start simple, we're in the USA.
2) Europe is a set of literally different countries and they can get it right, and we can't? I mean, lol.

Depends on how you're selling, and what storefront you're using, I'm not going to speculate. If you were buying something from the EU, it would already be included into the price. If they have to calculate taxes if buying from you, that is actually a major issue. If they pass that burden on to you, then you should be lobbying for this change for transparency from a tax API or something else.

For a major platform like eBay, it's simply inexcusable, and they should do much better.
holy shit.
really.
We're not in the USA... arrogant holy shit.

I guess add shock factor, and take offense to the idea that maybe you're just wrong no matter -where- you are. I don't think you should get offended by such a comment, so I don't care. As you said, we are adults here.

Fine, North America; doesn't matter where you're selling or buying from, eBay is OPERATED in the USA, take the ball and run with it if you want, or just try to play the victim now that your hand is empty.

Edit: I'm done replies to this, since I don't want to escalate this useless situation any further. Happy days! Sorry @Op for derailing thread.

Last edited:
It should be illegal to show a price without the tax included; not just eBay, but anywhere.
Sorry, but I'm gonna be another person to tell you that's not possible/practical in the USA, largely due to the federal system. Each state and each county within the state set their own tax rate (most counties within a state are same, but not always).
Then, you cannot force people to sign in everywhere to get their location to view price. That would be the pinnacle of stupidity and privacy violation. You also can't use the IP address of any person as where they're shopping from does not indicate where their purchases would be delivered - people shop on the go, you know.
Finally, how would you advertise the price of anything? Printed media, billboards, banners? Are you gonna propose that every person wear an RFID tag and each display changes the advertised price based on who's viewing it? Good luck with that!
In European countries where tax is set on national level, the price of goods DOES include sales tax. Cannot be done in USA, so get on with the program.

I was very recently thinking about how the golden age of internet shopping is dead because most of my favorite sites are now charging sales tax. I'll be in the market for a new TV this year, was going to buy from Crutchfield, but might just buy locally since the price will be the same and to ensure it gets delivered in one piece. Heck, sometimes the local stores have sales where they pay the sales tax (9.75% here, no state income tax), but that might die with the fact that they're no longer competing with online stores since online prices are typically the same.

We had a good run, guys.

just wait till they do away with cash, then they can tax yard sales and lemon aid stands

it will all be automatic in your payment app

Probably not. Statutes of limitations should apply for most of the cases; but I guess it depends on how desperate California's Franchise Tax Board gets.
There's a statute of limitations on tax? I don't think so. Failure to pay your taxes AFAIK, just means additional interest/penalties year after year.

There's a statute of limitations on tax? I don't think so. Failure to pay your taxes AFAIK, just means additional interest/penalties year after year.

Use tax is a line item on the California Income Tax return. There's absolutely a statute of limitation that applies after I file a tax return that they've got to protest. Of course, if you never filed a return, the clock doesn't start.

Use tax is a line item on the California Income Tax return. There's absolutely a statute of limitation that applies after I file a tax return that they've got to protest. Of course, if you never filed a return, the clock doesn't start.
I do believe the context has been failure to file.... governments never forget when it comes to money. They do tend to forget about little things like dead people....

Here in Europe each country has their own VAT. Some countries have 7% some 24%. The tax is calculated by the seller and added to the price tag. In most cases, prices are shown with and without tax for clarity. So I'd say that the US system where tax is left for the buyer to calculate is jjust a historical stupidity.

Here in Europe each country has their own VAT. Some countries have 7% some 24%. The tax is calculated by the seller and added to the price tag. In most cases, prices are shown with and without tax for clarity.

You'd be very wrong there.

VAT is applied and collected at every step of the supply chain from the manufacturer to the consumer. So if the manufacturer sells a product to a middleman, who then sells it on to distributors and other middlemen, the more times it changes hands, the more expensive the product gets. So 7-24% gets added every step of the way, depending on which country/countries it goes through. These exchanges are NOT shown to the end consumer, you only see the final application of VAT from the seller you buy from.

Sales tax on the other hand is ONLY applied during the final product sale. As a business owner, I have a sales tax ID where I can purchase products from vendors tax free and then only have to collect sales tax when the item is sold.

VAT is horrible regressive tax system. Of course prices are shown without VAT, the government doesn't want you to know how much they're actually screwing you, which is cumulative hundreds or thousands of percent of taxation, not 7-24% like you think you're paying.

You'd be very wrong there.

VAT is applied and collected at every step of the supply chain from the manufacturer to the consumer. So if the manufacturer sells a product to a middleman, who then sells it on to distributors and other middlemen, the more times it changes hands, the more expensive the product gets. So 7-24% gets added every step of the way, depending on which country/countries it goes through. These exchanges are NOT shown to the end consumer, you only see the final application of VAT from the seller you buy from.

Sales tax on the other hand is ONLY applied during the final product sale. As a business owner, I have a sales tax ID where I can purchase products from vendors tax free and then only have to collect sales tax when the item is sold.

VAT is horrible regressive tax system. Of course prices are shown without VAT, the government doesn't want you to know how much they're actually screwing you, which is cumulative hundreds or thousands of percent of taxation, not 7-24% like you think you're paying.
Except VAT is excempt in any B2B transaction. It's only applied to the final consumer sales price. Busineses either get VAT exempt prices or a tax return for it.
So, you're very wrong there. And before you argue, I have spent the last 25 years of my life buying supplies and tools for the companies I worked in. I have a company credit card and if I make a purchase all I need to do is to give the company VAT registration number and the prices are VAT free.

It should be illegal for adults not to be able to do relatively simple multiplication in their head before they buy something.

It's simple, sales tax is paid by the buyer, to their local Gov't. So for eBay to include this in the price it would be wrong for everyone, unless you told eBay what region you were from.
It should but the way they teach math in schools now is idiotic. I can do 5+5=10 in my head no problem but this common core shit is garbage.

eBay sucks. Period.
But there is no truly viable alternative to have your storefront in front of millions of people across the world (maybe Amazon, but not as simple). You're paying for that. Access to the marketplace.
Can't stand that 15% shaved off every sale between eBay and PP....
I came to the conclusion that it is what it is at this point...
I did really enjoy buying things tax free for the last 10 years prior to '19 though. Will say that. Used to be nice to buy tax free on Newegg too...
Good 'ol days.

Yep. Don't trust the govt to teach your children.
Why not? If the gov is not doing it's job then people should demand a change. We have the best schooling system in the world here in Finland and school is free even to the university level. Kids get free meals at school etc. Gives up an equal opportunity for all society levels.

You're liable for sales tax. In fact, you're liable for all back sales taxes, even for when you "believed" there was no tax. What made that time special, was not knowing which state (Internet didn't really define).

When I sold things on ebay years ago, and the sale was in state, I had to charge them sales tax (and report, etc.). But I'll admit, "the Internet" allowed you to "skip" (note, taxation is non-skippable) tax across states, just like everyone else.

I figure when we're all 85, we'll get this surprise bill for billions of dollars in back taxes, fees and penalties.

When you sold years ago in state you had a nexus in the state. Blame South Dakota for fucking this up for everyone.

When you sold years ago in state you had a nexus in the state. Blame South Dakota for fucking this up for everyone.
Well... it's a bit south of Canada, but sure, "Blame South Dakota"

Reactions: travm
like this
If you have a business you can send them a copy of your state resale certificate and they will not charge you sales tax.... ;)

That being said, legally that only should apply to something you are buying to resell and your business will be charging your customer sales tax. Collecting it is complex too - there are multiple rates in most all states (state rate plus local optional rates) so knowing the exact amount for every single place would be a very large list and reporting/paying collected tax to every single place is a major pain in the rear.

Others have (almost successfully but ultimately failed in courts) that forcing businesses to collect and remit sales tax for any given state/local municipality creates an employer/employee relationship in which there is no compensation. I wonder if in the last 10 years or so anyone has pursued that further? In SC the state got around that by giving a discount to businesses that remit collected tax on time. We collect 7%, if we pay it within 2 weeks of the due date we only have to pay the state 5% of the 7% we collected for the month.

The problem here is ebay is running a business and does make a profit. Fine, then why not charge sales tax on the profit margin? If you sell a $100 item and ebay's profits are $10, you should get charged sales tax on the $10 profit margin.

Fine. They are selling a service, I'm OK with sales tax being charged on that service. By all means, charge me the sales tax on the eBay fees.

My customers are not going to like it when they come to buy "fruit snacks" and I have to charge them tax. You think they'll mind or even know? :LOL:

I buy less big ticket items from ebay nowadays because of sales tax. Seems like my local FB marketplace and Craiglist are getting popular if you don't mind doing local transaction in person and avoiding sales tax esp for large item (e.g GPU).

..and not to mention I signed up for BHP payboo credit card last year.

F***ing amazing! Isn't it? You buy a product, at which time you paid sales taxes and in some cases...a disposal fee. You use the product and then at some point, re-sell it. The new buyer has to again pay taxes. Tell me that isn't double-dipping.

F***ing amazing! Isn't it? You buy a product, at which time you paid sales taxes and in some cases...a disposal fee. You use the product and then at some point, re-sell it. The new buyer has to again pay taxes. Tell me that isn't double-dipping.
Ever been to a second-hand store? This isn't a new thing.

You also get taxed on your income used to pay with! Wowza, amazing!

I could certainly understand them charging a tax when the products are being purchased as new items from an online store doing business through eBay.
That's fair...but a used product has already had taxes paid.
Second-hand stores shouldn't be allowed to charge taxes either.
Selling the item for a profit is okay but no additional taxes should be included.
We accept a lot of behavior and have greedy lawmakers who ram this stuff.
People truly do not have any rights or protections.
They're constantly getting screwed.

Just got a message saying they are discontinuing the 1% bucks on every purchase. God it just gets worse and worse as they try to squeeze every little penny. Long gone are the days of 10%+ bucks offers or one item coupons of 10-15%.

I just put up two used videocards for sale and you now have to link a bank account to eBay for payment.
No more PayPal collection apparently from their messaging.
Is anybody worried about putting banking information into the hands of yet another company...especially with all the hacks in past months?
I linked a small secondary account specifically created for this kind of thing.
Another hoop to jump through.

PayPal is pretty shady about hoarding bank information. One time I tried to remove it, and it took 3 tiers of support to remove the link, and after it was removed they warned I can't re-add it.

I definitely don't want my bank information littered all over other people's systems either.

that is what they call double dipping.. and they (the gooberment) does it ALL the time

The US government is really bad about that. Tax us all to hell, meanwhile the ultra rich get tax breaks. It's a stacked deck as it were. Donate a multi-million dollar painting? tax break. I would argue the obfuscation of the tax code in general enables this kind of shady and unethical behavior. I don't mind paying taxes, but I would say it should be fair and just. It certainly doesn't seem that way.

I can't wait for the IRS to be forced to modernize. Once they let that cat out of the bag, it will be the end of them.

The US government is really bad about that. Tax us all to hell, meanwhile the ultra rich get tax breaks. It's a stacked deck as it were. Donate a multi-million dollar painting? tax break. I would argue the obfuscation of the tax code in general enables this kind of shady and unethical behavior. I don't mind paying taxes, but I would say it should be fair and just. It certainly doesn't seem that way.

I can't wait for the IRS to be forced to modernize. Once they let that cat out of the bag, it will be the end of them.
If you think the "tax the rich" idea is new, you couldn't be more wrong. Goes back to the civil war here in the US, when the tax was first implemented to pay for the war. Afterwards, everybody started screaming "tax the rich". Ok, says the govt, lets vote for tax laws to tax mostly the rich and a little bit of everyone else just to be fair. Everyone agrees.
But see, the thing about the rich is that a lot of them are smart and/or influential - that's how they got rich in the first place. Now everyone wants to tax them, so they start using their influence and smarts to reduce their tax burden. End result? The rich pay less and middle class gets reamed. Been going on for 100+ years. IDK, but maybe "tax the rich" is not the answer? I would vote for lean out the government, as the amount of waste there is astronomical.

If you think the "tax the rich" idea is new, you couldn't be more wrong. Goes back to the civil war here in the US, when the tax was first implemented to pay for the war. Afterwards, everybody started screaming "tax the rich". Ok, says the govt, lets vote for tax laws to tax mostly the rich and a little bit of everyone else just to be fair. Everyone agrees.
But see, the thing about the rich is that a lot of them are smart and/or influential - that's how they got rich in the first place. Now everyone wants to tax them, so they start using their influence and smarts to reduce their tax burden. End result? The rich pay less and middle class gets reamed. Been going on for 100+ years. IDK, but maybe "tax the rich" is not the answer? I would vote for lean out the government, as the amount of waste there is astronomical.

100+? You mean throughout all know history? People have always used money to control people. Rich people get rich generally by cheating somehow. It was like that in roman times. It's like that now.

I'm saying what's fair and just. You can't honestly believe what we have is fair and just in even the slightest.

100+? You mean throughout all know history? People have always used money to control people. Rich people get rich generally by cheating somehow. It was like that in roman times. It's like that now.
There are plenty of folks who built wealth over time by hard work and dedication. For example: lot's of small businesses, blue collar workers, software developers, doctors. Many spent years on education and then work hard to earn every dollar. Not everybody is Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs, though lots of positive things can be said about those 2 as well regardless of the controversies they're involved in.
Are there folks that cheat the system? Absolutely. Not all, but many end up in jail as a result (how about Bernie Madoff as an example?) Lot's of doctors were caught running insurance scams, same goes for every other occupation. That doesn't mean every single person driving a nice car or living in a nice house cheated there way there and must be taxed into oblivion.

I could certainly understand them charging a tax when the products are being purchased as new items from an online store doing business through eBay.
That's fair...but a used product has already had taxes paid.
Second-hand stores shouldn't be allowed to charge taxes either.
Selling the item for a profit is okay but no additional taxes should be included.
We accept a lot of behavior and have greedy lawmakers who ram this stuff.
People truly do not have any rights or protections.
They're constantly getting screwed.

I have no problems with taxes being charged on used items sold by a business. When individuals sell off their old stuff, that seems a bit much though.

Back