Early Upgrades...

marshac

American Hero
Am I the only one finding it humorous how AT&T and Verizon are reacting to T-Mobile's "Jump" plan, especially in light of their recent "aligning" of the upgrade cycle with contract length? Each has rolled out a similar plan, neither of which is a good deal to the consumer- same subsidy-based service rate, yet you still pay full-retail for the phone. Oh, and if you're a grandfathered unlimited data holder on VZW, no soup for you either.

Even with non-unlimited data, it would be nice if the major carriers would jettison this handset subsidization craziness- over 20% of my bill with Verizon is taxes/fees, most of which are a percentage of how much each line's service fee is- a cheaper rate would incur fewer taxes and ultimately a lower bill.

How about this? You pick a new phone and I'll pay for half of it. Now you're in a 2-years contract with me. After six months, you give me $180 and that phone, and I'll pay 50% for your next phone too and our contract renew. And, if you ever let our contract expire, you have to give me another $720. You are responsible for getting your own wireless plan. Sounds simple?

Anyone who signs up for NEXT or EDGE should fire his/her accountant or admit him/herself to stupid camp...

Last edited:
This isnt making anything go away, they are pretty terrible deals but when comparing to the tmobile deals you have to also compare networks and service available.

This isnt making anything go away, they are pretty terrible deals but when comparing to the tmobile deals you have to also compare networks and service available.
That's not how I see it. Because if you pay for a new phone out of pocket on AT&T, you would surely be spending less than whatever the total cost Next is after the contract ends. Same goes with Verizon. So you're not comparing the carriers against each other. You're comparing a carrier to itself.

I know many of us here at the [H] are heavy data users but for those who aren't including friends and family who may not use tons of data MVNO's can be a GREAT deal and save you tons of money.

I got my dad set up for unlimited calling (and texting) for $30 a month with H20 Wireless. He got a junk phone and doesn't text or use data but he is saving tons over what he was paying Verizon each month and he had a 25% discount through his employer.

Data options are improving somewhat but I've read about horror stories on some forums so be careful.

Helpful link for those who want to research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

That's not how I see it. Because if you pay for a new phone out of pocket on AT&T, you would surely be spending less than whatever the total cost Next is after the contract ends. Same goes with Verizon. So you're not comparing the carriers against each other. You're comparing a carrier to itself.

You arent losing any options, you just now have a crappy option to take if you want.

It wouldn't be so bad if older phones were actually upgraded. Something needed to happen now that companies are releasing phones pretty much every year, and not even bothering to upgrade the previous ones. Two years now is a LOOOOONG time. Just more of an excuse to cash grab people.

Well, I've just did the math for you. If you want to pay for your last phone fully twice (and maybe more), be my guest and get Next or Edge. I think paying for it once out of pocket is 50% cheaper than paying for it twice... I don't know if this logic make any sense...

This shit is just another scam using catch phrases like "no contract" to prey on people that are unable to do the math (and sadly, there are LOTS of people like this) into thinking it's a "deal" and line the pockets of the duopoly even more.

Never mind the fact that the remaining balance of the phone is just an ETF in disguise so the "no contract" part is basically useless. And paying for the phone twice. And having to give up the current phone.

Forget the whole coverage argument with T-Mobile. The fact that these options are a ripoff even when compared to Verizon/ATT's own current offerings is fucking pathetic.

They are taking advantage of people who think they need a new phone every year. While I think that 2 year plans are expensive I don't think they are a horrible thing at all. A subsidized phone when you sign up for a premium service contract of 2 years isn't terrible.

People still wouldn't opt to save money by buying their phone out right and paying the new Go plans even if ATT were to push it onto them. Once someone sees the high price of a brand new phone they go "yea but I can get it for $200 there!" and all logic is lost on them.

I only know a few people who upgrade every year, there are a few people who think about it but don't go for it. The ones who do upgrade yearly sell their old phone for a great price and buy the new phones out right.

Either way Cell Phones are damn expensive and their plans are still expensive.

I don't need a new phone every six months, and my Bionic does everything I need it to do. With that said I owe VZW 2 more payments then they can choke on a bag of dicks. I'm going to Tmobile. My area will have Tmobile LTE by years end, and with a cheaper bill not counting getting Jump upgrades if I want it is a no brainer.

i don't know, dude; i think verizon wants to choke on that bag...

join the net-neutral movement with T-Mo!

Back