DVI-D to Displayport adapter cable - Active or Passive, for Dell U2412Mb

x509

2[H]4U
I have been building my own systems for about 30 years now, but I don't know anything about this issue. :coffee:

I'm building a completely new rig with an ASUS ROG Strix-E motherboard, AMD 3900X CPU, and a Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics card, probably the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5600 XT DirectX 12 GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6G 6GB.

Since I'm keeping my Dell U2412Mb display for now, I need a new connector cable. This monitor is old and supports only DVI-D and VGA (!!) connectors and the 5600 XT cards come with only Displayport and HDMI connectors. I've been reading reviews of different connector cables on Newegg and some people there comment that they needed an active cable, but got a passive cable instead. I have had good luck with Startech cables. (y) They have the right cable in both regular and active versions, but I don't know which one to get.

Thanks in advance.

1920x1200@60 using 8bit color scheme.

Passive cable is all you need, short of Dell being incredibly stupid and wanting double the DVI datalinks to do the work of one DVI link.

Also, are you sure you don't have Displayport? Dell Ultrasharps of that vintage have at least one.

EDIT:
Spec page claims it has one.

M vs Mb is just refurbished, afaik.

Reactions: x509
like this
1920x1200@60 using 8bit color scheme.

Passive cable is all you need, short of Dell being incredibly stupid and wanting double the DVI datalinks to do the work of one DVI link.

Also, are you sure you don't have Displayport? Dell Ultrasharps of that vintage have at least one.

EDIT:
Spec page claims it has one.

M vs Mb is just refurbished, afaik.
jeremyshaw Thanks (y) for pointing out to me what I should have known from the get-go. :confused: :coffee: That makes the cable purchase decision so much easier.

EDIT: The Dell website is truly annoying. In order to get details on my product, I have to enter the Service Tag. But my 2012-vintage Dell display does not have a Service Tag. :facepalm:

Back