DVD repair software?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I have gotten some DVD loose lots to expand my plex server. A couple of the movies that I would really like to watch are showing errors even though the discs are really not that bad. Is there any software that can rebuild the data into something usable?

Sounds like disc rot. It can't hurt to attempt to decrypt/copy the VOBs to a reliable storage. If the discs are rotting, they're only going to get worse over time. For ease of use, I 'd recommend ISOBuster. But you can use any DVD copy-to-disk software, preferably one that allows you to set read retries to zero or one then skip over bad sectors.

The end result will probably still be a damaged VOB, but most players can gracefully handle a damaged VOB. They typically just jump over the bad parts during playback, which is still better than waiting for an optical disc drive to figure out the sectors are bad.

And if it wasn't obvious already, the real point of doing this is to remove the optical drive from the equation.

You could go so far as to remove the bad parts from the VOB to recover disk space, but that's a whole 'nother venture.

If you have scratched discs, you can get one of these. Have you tried a different drive to see if it errors on that one as well?
IMG_1219.JPEG

IMG_1220.JPEG

if the discs are clean and not scratched, its disc rot. could try a lower speed, or copy the vobs, but probably your best bet is to hit the high seas....

if the discs are clean and not scratched, its disc rot. could try a lower speed, or copy the vobs, but probably your best bet is to hit the high seas....
Most drives or copy software lower speed when they detect bad sector reading anyway. DVDs have just enough redundancy to handle scratches, but not disc rot or excessive scratches.

There is no recovering from disc rot. Either salvage what you can or trash it.

The one that I really want to see is scratched but not badly. It looks cloudy. A good used copy is $6 so I don’t want to buy hardware. Out of 105 discs only a couple have read errors. I wonder if it will play in a dvd player. I don’t even have one hooked up anymore

I ended up getting a replacement copy for $3. If I come across anymore discs that are bad like that I’ll buy a skip doctor. I used to have one and saved many music cds. I think this one could possibly have some rot but it also has one single bad scratch and the center hub is cracked. I didn’t think the hub would matter but if it wobbles it just might with a bad enough scratch

Back